Ketchup on Hash Browns?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ketchup on Hash Browns?

Postby Rhythm » Wed May 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi!
Why do you think Dr McDougall states within
the Color Picture Book that it is OK to add
ketchup on hash browns?

Is not ketchup full of simple sugar and preservatives?

What do you think?
Type-2 for 15 years. A1C at 7. Humulin-N, Humulin-R and Metformin.
Lost 30 pounds following WFPB plan since 6/2015.
4/2016 I've 30 pounds to go. Went from a BMI-34 to a BMI-31.
5/1/2016 began The Starch Solution nutrition plan. Want off meds.
Rhythm

Re: Ketchup on Hash Browns?

Postby Crider » Wed May 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I make my own. I use this basic recipe, but only add a tiny bit of brown sugar. I also don't use salt and use apple cider vinegar instead of what they used. I also cook mine — I bring it to a simmer and let it go for about five minutes. Much better flavor that way.
Crider

Postby colonyofcells » Wed May 04, 2016 7:55 pm

I just boil potato with skin and I drink all of the water used for boiling. No sugar needed. For boiled sweet potato, these are already naturally sweet.
colonyofcells

Postby Werner1950 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 pm

To answer your question, if it makes a difference between eating the potatoes or not, then use ketchup. It's the same reason he says to use sweeteners like brown sugar or maple syrup on oatmeal. It isn't optimal, but if it helps you to eat most of your healthy foods, then use some.

But don't overdo it, of course.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby Rhythm » Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Werner1950 wrote:To answer your question, if it makes a difference between eating the potatoes or not, then use ketchup. It's the same reason he says to use sweeteners like brown sugar or maple syrup on oatmeal. It isn't optimal, but if it helps you to eat most of your healthy foods, then use some. But don't overdo it, of course.

Thank you, Werner.
I'm learning that flexibility is OK ~ not to overdo it. As I share The Starch Solution,
I must know that flexibility and cheats are going to happen. That it's OK.

Thanks again 8)
Type-2 for 15 years. A1C at 7. Humulin-N, Humulin-R and Metformin.
Lost 30 pounds following WFPB plan since 6/2015.
4/2016 I've 30 pounds to go. Went from a BMI-34 to a BMI-31.
5/1/2016 began The Starch Solution nutrition plan. Want off meds.
Rhythm

Postby Risto » Thu May 05, 2016 3:37 am

I eat oven fries with ketchup and felt compelled to look up the numbers. My bottle of Heinz says that it's 570 g for 500 mL of ketchup (density 1.14 g/mL) and 23 g of sugars per 100 g. If that's all accurate, a 15 mL tablespoon has 4 grams of sugar in it, whose energy content is 16 calories. I probably use two tablespoons or less for a big plate of oven fries with 400 - 500 g (304 - 380 Cal) of potatoes, so the sugar of the ketchup (32 Cal) would be 8 - 10 percent of the calories.
Risto

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 am

Condiments are given more slack because as Risto shows, they are generally a small percentage of the total calories. That said, I make my own ketchup. My motto is to keep my food as clean and compliant as possible.
dailycarbs

Postby Jerry Angelo » Thu May 05, 2016 5:32 am

I started by using ketchup and it helped me stick to it.
Then I stopped store bought and started making my own.
Then I stopped using it completely, using mustard and vinegar and half the time just plain.

Tastes change over time and you need less and less 'sophistication'...
Also, you tend to eat A LOT, or at least I did, a lot more potatoes than if you ate it mildly seasoned or plain.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby petero » Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 am

Best to stick to hot sauce on hash browns.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby frozenveg » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 am

I like ketchup. I doubt that I will ever stop using it. It's not something that triggers any over-consumption, or cravings, or anything. Sugar and I (a bit of sugar, like what's in ketchup and BBQ sauce) have a pretty mild relationship. If I treat it as a condiment, and use it once in a while (my def: 3 - 4 times a week), we are at peace with one another. That's unlike my relationship with fat, even avocado/peanut butter natural fat. Let fat get its toe in the door and I may be in grave danger! :eek:
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 pm

frozenveg wrote: That's unlike my relationship with fat, even avocado/peanut butter natural fat. Let fat get its toe in the door and I may be in grave danger! :eek:

True! I'm not likely to eat two cups of ketchup on my potatoes, but I can down the guac. If there is a jar of pb in the house, I can't stop smearing it on apple slices. Before I stopped eating oil, I put evoo on everything and even soaked my bread in it. So I don't have these in the house.

But, I eat some ketchup and bbq sauce a few times a week with various potato dishes. I like them but don't over eat them.
Grammy Ginger

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm

I have a frugality problem. If anything is ripe and likely to spoil, I'll be tempted to eat it. I buy avocaddos but judiciously, so they don't all get ripe at once. When I buy bread at the bakery, I have them slice it and I freeze a portion of it otherwise all I can think is, "it's going stale by tomorrow so I'd better get at it." Otoh, as much as I love peanut butter, I have a half eaten jar in the fridge (jelly too) and I can't remeber the last time I replaced them.

Stuff like candy and chips, there's really no way to modulate. What's the point of eating a few chips? That'll never satisfy you and now you have a bag of opened chips. Same for candy. The calorie content is amazing. Pre-McDougall, I used to get bags of bite sized dove chocolates. Each little chocolate was 44 calories! These things are tiny! What's the point of having stuff like that around unless you're a masochist? Peanut butter and jelly on the other hand, you can make a filling (albeit calorie dense) meal or snack if you put it on a hearty bread. Not something you should do often but it has its place.
dailycarbs

Postby Katydid » Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 pm

frozenveg wrote:I like ketchup. I doubt that I will ever stop using it. It's not something that triggers any over-consumption, or cravings, or anything. Sugar and I (a bit of sugar, like what's in ketchup and BBQ sauce) have a pretty mild relationship. If I treat it as a condiment, and use it once in a while (my def: 3 - 4 times a week), we are at peace with one another. That's unlike my relationship with fat, even avocado/peanut butter natural fat. Let fat get its toe in the door and I may be in grave danger! :eek:

I agree, although because I'm allergic to tomatoes, I do make my own tomato-free ketchup and BBQ sauce. And yes, there's molasses in the ketchup and coconut sugar in the BBQ sauce. I learned a long time ago, for this way of eating is to be sustainable, you can't - as Voltaire said - let the perfect become the enemy of the good. That's not what Dr. McDougall teaches.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 05, 2016 1:14 pm

I have bought the 2 pack organic ketchup at costco. I sometimes use it on starch dishes like rice, pasta, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby kirkj » Thu May 05, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm have never been crazy about ketchup, but when I want something like it (on potatoes roasted, for example), I use tomato paste. Probably wouldn't work for someone who really craves ketchup, but I like it better than ketchup.
kirkj

Next

Return to The Lounge