What's Good For The Heart Is Good For The Brain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What's Good For The Heart Is Good For The Brain

Postby geo » Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 am

So Jeff, do you know was this just an oversite by the researchers? Do they not read others work in the same area? Or was it simply that they couldn't tease out alcohol consumption from the data set they used? I would hate to think that they didn't believe alcohol consumption wasn't import as a "simple" lifestyle factor for heart and brain health given what the science already says or that their might be some other motivating factor to exclude alcohol (conspiratory theorists speak up now)?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am

geo wrote:So Jeff, do you know was this just an oversite by the researchers? Do they not read others work in the same area? Or was it simply that they couldn't tease out alcohol consumption from the data set they used? I would hate to think that they didn't believe alcohol consumption wasn't import as a "simple" lifestyle factor for heart and brain health given what the science already says or that their might be some other motivating factor to exclude alcohol (conspiratory theorists speak up now)?

It is a great question.

From the original report

AHA Special Report
Defining and Setting National Goals for Cardiovascular Health Promotion and Disease Reduction
The American Heart Association’s Strategic Impact Goal Through 2020 and Beyond
Circulation. 2010;121:586-613
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121 ... l.pdf+html

"Other Issues in Defining the AHA 2020 Impact Goals

Numerous other metrics pertaining to cardiovascular health and disease were considered for inclusion but were rejected for various reasons. For example, the consensus of the committee was that alcohol intake should not be included as a metric of cardiovascular health or disease. Moderate alcohol consumption has been associated in observational studies with lower CVD incidence and has been included as a component in some studies of ideal cardiovascular health. However, the committee believed that the risks of alcohol abuse were significant and prevalent enough that the AHA should not recommend universal alcohol use as a means to achieve cardiovascular health."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby geo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 am

Hmmm, so instead of making the recommendation of no/moderate Alcohol consumption, they simply leave it out when other studies of the same type show it as one of the five leading factors in overall mortality. Not too mention its such an easy factor to assay and for people to control.

And as you say, they include 3 biomarkers which really are just an affect of the other lifestyle factors.

No wonder people don't listen to the medical community.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Jerry Angelo » Fri May 06, 2016 8:26 am

hazelrah wrote:
Jerry Angelo wrote:I guess based on your minimum weekly time expenditure recommendation, Pritikin's maximum number and the 'talk test', I'm doing ok... The only thing I would need to do perhaps is to do a stress test to really 'know' better... My endurance and speed are getting better, I'm sure they will over time as I have never walked this much in the past.

Hey Jerry Angelo,

I don't know why, but this thread got into my brain as I was jogging at lunch. My jogging is closer to walking than running these days, but whenever I start to feel discouraged about how slow I'm going, I remind myself that the winner isn't the one who moves the fastest, but the one who keeps moving the longest. So when you're still walking at 90 or 95, you won! Doesn't matter who passed you or how fast you were going.

Maybe I just needed a positive thought as I was about halfway through the jog.

Keep at it! And, most of all, enjoy it.

Mark

Thank you Mark,

That's exactly what I keep telling myself, especially when much older women pass me on the path LOL

I start out at 3.4, 3.5 and and after an hour it's 3.2mph avg, after two hours it's 3 and when I walked for three hours it ended at 2.9mph...
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby JeffN » Tue May 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Here is the video. It should be public for about a week.

https://www.eheandme.com/open_hclip?utm ... cid=555555

Enjoy!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Tue May 10, 2016 4:33 pm

JeffN wrote:Here is the video. It should be public for about a week.

https://www.eheandme.com/open_hclip?utm ... cid=555555

Enjoy!

In Health
Jeff

Very nice.

Great Job Jeff!

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Previous

Return to The Lounge