What's Good For The Heart Is Good For The Brain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What's Good For The Heart Is Good For The Brain

Postby hazelrah » Mon May 02, 2016 10:01 am

...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: What's Good For The Heart Is Good For The Brain

Postby JeffN » Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am

I made a video on this last week that will be public next week

I called it The Magnifient Seven

The same 7 lifestyle criteria not only could prevent over 90% of heart disease & stroke, it has been shown to lower the risk for cancer over 50%, reduce your risk for chronic kidney disease & now this new data in brain health & cognitive aging.

Sadly less then 5% of Americans meet the 7 criteria & less then 1% meet the dietary guidelines

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Mon May 02, 2016 11:12 am

JeffN wrote:Sadly less then 5% of Americans meet the 7 criteria & less then 1% meet the dietary guidelines

Maybe as the ones who have already ruined their brains through a lifetime of poor lifestyle choices( me, for example) die off, these numbers may improve.

Look forward to the new video. Hope you'll make it public.

Thanks,

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

hazelrah wrote: Hope you'll make it public.

The finished version will be up next Tuesday and be public for a week.

[NOTE: I will repost video link later]

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jerry Angelo » Mon May 02, 2016 11:37 am

Great video, thank you for all you do Jeff...

Quick question, I've been walking 5-6 days per week for the last month and I usually walk for 2 hours per day...
I walk about 3 miles per hour average speed and I walk that much (a few times I've walked for 3 hours) because I enjoy it.
My question is, am I over doing it based on your recommendation and am I walking fast enough to be considered 'brisk'?

Thanks again, I really am appreciative of all your work.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby JeffN » Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 am

Jerry Angelo wrote: Great video, thank you for all you do Jeff....

Thanks.

Jerry Angelo wrote:Quick question, I've been walking 5-6 days per week for the last month and I usually walk for 2 hours per day...
I walk about 3 miles per hour average speed and I walk that much (a few times I've walked for 3 hours) because I enjoy it.
My question is, am I over doing it based on your recommendation and am I walking fast enough to be considered 'brisk'?

Thanks again, I really am appreciative of all your work.

As you know, I can't really say.

Make sure you review my thread on Exercise and the one on, Finding Your Ideal Heart Rate Zone

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9507&p=70835&#p70835

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43482

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jerry Angelo » Mon May 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks once again Jeff,

I've read Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?, I will read the Heart Rate Formula thread in depth as well, just skimmed it...

I guess based on your minimum weekly time expenditure recommendation, Pritikin's maximum number and the 'talk test', I'm doing ok... The only thing I would need to do perhaps is to do a stress test to really 'know' better... My endurance and speed are getting better, I'm sure they will over time as I have never walked this much in the past.

The video is great, it does for gauging the direction of your over all health and well being to what your placement and caloric density graphs do to illustrating how we should eat. Sometimes the same info with a different package makes learning easier.

Thanks again.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby geo » Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 am

In previous studies of what lifestyle factors extends life the most, there were 5 factors involved that could increase life span by 14 years. This program indicates 7 factors. But they seem to miss one...Alcohol consumption.

Anyone know why alcohol consumption was not considered part of the "Simple Seven" factors?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby eastman » Wed May 04, 2016 8:38 am

No takers ,I will ask then, why did they leave alcohol OUT !!!
eastman

Postby patty » Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 am

What a great share The Simple 7 test... http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... yoTt2aLTci I love not smoking is included as anyone who has realizes smoking is a habit, going unconscious and they are not a habit (unconscious). Bruce Lipton who wrote the Biology of Belief shares 95% of hospital visits are lifestyle and 95% of our day is habit. Food addiction has kicked and kicks my Okolee daily because the addiction dominoes have to stop with food and money.Knowing with food/money addiction slips are the nature of addiction. They have to be worked on a daily basis sometimes moment to moment. Time and space is a construction of the brain.Then a little bit of crazy becomes norm where the heart says "Stop to why not Me?" vs "Why Me?" Forgetting becomes a wonderful portal not to fear but to catch:) Owning memories of suffering causes pain where happiness is free benefit of not being in control of thoughts. They rise and fall. Yesterday I forgot my keys, but I didn't forget what they did:) I was rushing out of the house and picked up my dogs leash instead of the keys a totally insane moment. I am so grateful this is a body, mind and social disease because so many came to my defense. The high was incomparable because it was a inside out event as Rumi shares the key to the lock is on the inside. Mahalo Mark for posting. Food and money is just a owning dis ease. Education heals. We all feed off each other:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby hazelrah » Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Jerry Angelo wrote:I guess based on your minimum weekly time expenditure recommendation, Pritikin's maximum number and the 'talk test', I'm doing ok... The only thing I would need to do perhaps is to do a stress test to really 'know' better... My endurance and speed are getting better, I'm sure they will over time as I have never walked this much in the past.

Hey Jerry Angelo,

I don't know why, but this thread got into my brain as I was jogging at lunch. My jogging is closer to walking than running these days, but whenever I start to feel discouraged about how slow I'm going, I remind myself that the winner isn't the one who moves the fastest, but the one who keeps moving the longest. So when you're still walking at 90 or 95, you won! Doesn't matter who passed you or how fast you were going.

Maybe I just needed a positive thought as I was about halfway through the jog.

Keep at it! And, most of all, enjoy it.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2016 8:03 am

geo wrote:In previous studies of what lifestyle factors extends life the most, there were 5 factors involved that could increase life span by 14 years. This program indicates 7 factors. But they seem to miss one...Alcohol consumption.

Yes, they used 4 of the traditional 5 criteria and added in 3 (somewhat liberal) blood values, which are really the result of the first 4 criteria

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Werner1950 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:07 am

Jeff, you said your video would be made public for 7 days. Is it available yet? Link?
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2016 8:08 am

Werner1950 wrote:Jeff, you said your video would be made public for 7 days. Is it available yet? Link?

It usually comes out on Tuesdays so next Tuesday.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Werner1950 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks. I don't want to miss it.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Next

Return to The Lounge