Big belly

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Big belly

Postby Rafaela » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting. I am hoping to find a solution here. I am vegan going on three years, gluten free even longer and seldom eat sugar. I am still gaining weight, primarily on my abdomen. I weighed less when I ate dairy and wheat so I am baffled. I'm not a big eater. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rafaela

Re: Big belly

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:10 am

colonyofcells

Postby Wren » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:04 am

Glad you joined us here, Rafaela, welcome aboard!

Please tell us a little more about yourself and your circumstances, so that we're better able to help you out. E.g. your age, hight and weight, what a typical day of eating looks like, illnesses and medication if there are. That sort of stuff.

I'm sure we'll figure it all out in no time, there are amazing forum members here, who have *a lot* of experience.
Wren

Postby Dougalling » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:01 am

HI

Are you eating tofu, oil, avocados, nuts on a regular basis?
Dougalling

Postby Rafaela » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:39 am

Thank you for getting back to me! I am 65, a professional artist, married with two adult kids, was on medication for hypertension, but weaned myself off, though it can go up I am taking herbs and it is much better. I made the decision to stop taking it when my doc was about to add another pharmaceutical for thyroid. I have been vegetarian most of my life, but did eat a lot of dairy and eggs. As far as illness I have a heart murmur from rheumatic fever as a kid. I have some heart valve leakage. A heart doc said it may require surgery in the future. I am not buying into that, but I must lose weight. On the up side, since I gave up dairy all traces of arthritis are gone. I do eat avocados, coconut products, some soy, a bit of olive oil and love coffee. Mostly I eat brown rice, beans, potatoes, (I have been reading the articles on FB) veggies and not a lot of fruit and almost no processed foods. I am not exercising much because walking is my favorite, but it has been too cold here in northern AZ for that.
Rafaela

Postby viv » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Rafaela wrote:Thank you for getting back to me! I am 65, a professional artist, married with two adult kids, was on medication for hypertension, but weaned myself off, though it can go up I am taking herbs and it is much better. I made the decision to stop taking it when my doc was about to add another pharmaceutical for thyroid. I have been vegetarian most of my life, but did eat a lot of dairy and eggs. As far as illness I have a heart murmur from rheumatic fever as a kid. I have some heart valve leakage. A heart doc said it may require surgery in the future. I am not buying into that, but I must lose weight. On the up side, since I gave up dairy all traces of arthritis are gone. I do eat avocados, coconut products, some soy, a bit of olive oil and love coffee. Mostly I eat brown rice, beans, potatoes, (I have been reading the articles on FB) veggies and not a lot of fruit and almost no processed foods. I am not exercising much because walking is my favorite, but it has been too cold here in northern AZ for that.

Welcome Rafaela!

Just my two cents. It's great that you eat brown rice, beans and potatoes and that all traces of arthritis are gone.

If trying to lose weight, Dr. McDougall does not recommend avocados and coconut products. No Oil! Not even a drop (as Dr. Esselstyn would say). So stay with the starches plus fruits and veg, eliminate oil (most important) avocados and coconut products.

Meanwhile your health concerns could be a factor, untreated thyroid issues can lead to weight gain, and your heart condition can also be a variable. For these you need to be under a doctors advice.

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 pm

Rafaela wrote:I do eat avocados, coconut products, some soy, a bit of olive oil and love coffee. Mostly I eat brown rice, beans, potatoes, (I have been reading the articles on FB) veggies and not a lot of fruit and almost no processed foods.

Body fat has been linked or many diseases. If I were you, I would make a low normal bmi a priority and accomplish it by removing all avocados, coconut products, and olive oil from my diet. Personally, I would not avoid fruit but just to be clear, I'm sure that Dr. McDougall would advise you to substitute whole starches for the fatty foods you listed.

Good luck!
dailycarbs

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes, hypothyroid not only can cause weight gain but also many other very serious problems. That needs to be corrected by working w/ your doctor; herbs will not help that issue.

You have had fairly recent blood work and all else is normal? except for the hypothyroid?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:21 pm

The free picture book does recommend some easy exercises. Can do more indoor exercises.
colonyofcells

Postby Rafaela » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:20 am

I found the 10 day weight loss plan on here and am starting tomorrow. I have been eating avocados every day, so I am hoping I will see a change. As far as the thyroid issue goes, I will not go back to my traditional Doc, I forgot to mention I ended up in emergency for dehydration because she prescribed diuretic pills, which is standard for hypertension. If I can find a good naturopath holistic type Doc locally I will do that. Thanks for all the help and suggestions I think I'll learn a lot here!
Rafaela

Postby figlover » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:52 am

For indoor exercise I would like to recommend a rebounder. I have an expensive Bellicon only because I found lesser quality ones were a little noisy and I knew I would have this one for the rest of my life. If you've never experienced the joy of a rebounder then you really should try one. As far as the conditioning it really is up to you how hard you want to work on it. But it's great for needing to avoid the outdoors for whatever reason.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Chef AJ who is vegan and ate mostly whole plants foods was able to shift extra weight when giving up nuts. Nuts (including coconut products), avocados and seeds are all high in fat. These foods should be used with 'caution' if one is trying to lose weight.
Below is a link to Chef AJs story;
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2014/04/aj-loses-more-weight-on-veggies-starch.html
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Rafaela » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Thank you! I have been looking over the info on here are am realizing I am eating more fat than I imagined. This is day three of no fat! I wish I hadn't thrown away my scale! :-D
Rafaela

Postby Rafaela » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18 pm

I wanted to update. After ten days of no added fat, avocados, nuts, etc. The belly has gone down quite a bit! I am going to go another 10 days. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Rafaela

Return to The Lounge