FOK Diet - Avocados & Nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

FOK Diet - Avocados & Nuts

Postby seanmac » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:43 am

I have coronary heart disease, and I have been following the FOK diet plan. However, I saw Rip's video a couple years ago about how he made a Kale salad with avocados, so I eat them all the time. I also saw a recipe on the FOK site for cookies that include using almond butter. I'm confused, should I not be eating avocados and nuts?
seanmac

Re: FOK Diet - Avocados & Nuts

Postby Katydid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 pm

In Rip's FOK world there are two categories: "Plant Strong" and "Plant Perfect". Ordinary people trying to transition to a plant-based diet can follow a "Plant Strong" eating pattern. People who have heart disease need to be "Plant Perfect" and avoid nuts and avocados. Avoiding "overt" fats allows you to do two things: lower inflammation and reduce saturated fat intake. Both are important in the treatment of heart disease. The best advice I can give you is to pick up a copy of Dr. E. senior's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and follow it to the letter.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:37 pm

colonyofcells

Postby tiredapplestar » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Katydid wrote:In Rip's FOK world there are two categories: "Plant Strong" and "Plant Perfect". Ordinary people trying to transition to a plant-based diet can follow a "Plant Strong" eating pattern. People who have heart disease need to be "Plant Perfect" and avoid nuts and avocados. Avoiding "overt" fats allows you to do two things: lower inflammation and reduce saturated fat intake. Both are important in the treatment of heart disease. The best advice I can give you is to pick up a copy of Dr. E. senior's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and follow it to the letter.

Kate

I have both Engine 2 and My Beef With Meat and he (Rip) is much more laid back, but he is also very athletic and recommends exercising daily. I would be willing to bet even Rip would not recommend eating avocado and cookies everyday though. I agree with Katydid, get his fathers book and try that.
tiredapplestar

Return to The Lounge