Help - Cholesterol is 485 and my liver is angry!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Help - Cholesterol is 485 and my liver is angry!

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello,
I have just gotten some very concerning blood test results. I have had high cholesterol (never this high) for years but most recently my Iron levels and other tests are pointing towards Hemochromatosis or some other liver problems. Can I please request your help and guidance with the most extreme urgency! I am currently juice fasting and prepared to go to the next level with my diet. Please keep it professional - thanks!

Thanks a million
Last edited by Firemed57 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firemed57

Re: Help - Cholesterol is 485 and my liver is angry!

Postby EvanG » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 pm

My non-doctor opinion:

That's really high. Work with a doctor.

Watch some videos of Rip Esselstyn. Maybe write to him, and see if he can help or connect you to a peer who can help with accountability if that would help.

For lowering cholesterol, lose weight, cut all fat (especially saturated), increase fiber and greens intake. Recheck dietary cholesterol. Juice fasting is not a long term solution, obviously. You want to transition to a sustainable diet at some point.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby pundit999 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your health troubles.

You have come to the right place. It appears that you have a fatty liver which causes havoc with LDL and triglycerides.

I have a friend who had fatty liver and had weird cholesterol numbers. He chose the whole food plant based diet and has reversed most of the damage.

Since your numbers are so out of whack, you need medical care. It would be best to email Dr McDougall directly through this site.

There are many success stories about reversing liver disease among Star McDougallers and others in Testimonials. Read them and also read any newsletters that address liver disease.

You likely need to lose a lot of weight and give you body the chance to heal. Eating whole plants only with no added oil is the way to go.
pundit999

Postby Paul21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Seek the advice of a doctor.

Since you live in California, have a look at the weekend or 10 day programs that are offered by the McDougall team.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/programs/

Have a look at some threads explaining the programs and suggested foods and portions.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=57249#p57249
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Find and join a local support group.

I had all sorts of health issues in the past Thanks to a healthy change in what I eat, most of them are now gone.
Last edited by Paul21 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul21

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi Firemed57,

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems, but yours are not uncommon. The solution is in Dr. McDougall's The Starch Solution book. Get it, read or listen to it and follow it 100%. Results are expected.

The doctor also gives you a ton of free resources right here on his website. If you need any specific details, check out his local nutritionist/dietician expert Jeff Novick, who has his own sub-forum here with a ton of FAQ's and other hot topics sticky'd.

Get started today!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Guys,

I am currently under "Doctors care" with Kaiser and feel like I have been taken care of pretty well. I'm new to Kaiser and still waiting on the Appointment with the GI doc about my liver lab tests. I know enough that I need to get started on something quickly and Thanks to the Netflix Documentaries, I found the FOK, Engine 2, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

I appreciate your responses and will look into each one. It's refreshing to know that there is help out there.

John
Firemed57

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:21 pm

FYI, juice fasts are not healthy. Although Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is an inspirational tale, it should not be used as an educational piece. When you strip the plants of their fiber, skin, etc, you take away so many healthy pieces of the whole that help regulate blood sugars, remove cholesterol, improve digestion, feed good gut bacteria, etc.

I'm not the expert here, so please take the advice of Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick, who are the experts here:

Dr. Mcdougall:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/dec/juice.htm

Jeff Novick:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41620
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22483
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15419
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7907

Do yourself a favor and read these threads to understand the facts.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:58 pm

[quote="Ltldogg"]FYI, juice fasts are not healthy.

Thanks - Good info
Firemed57

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Postby pundit999 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:33 pm

I have a friend who had fatty liver and had weird cholesterol numbers.

Thanks for your reply pundit999. Do you have any info on your friends "Iron" bloodwork?

John
Firemed57

Postby wade4veg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Firemed57 wrote:I am currently under "Doctors care" with Kaiser and feel like I have been taken care of pretty well. I'm new to Kaiser and still waiting on the Appointment with the GI doc about my liver lab tests.

Don't be afraid to use the meds your Kaiser doctor will give you, in addition to the really big dietary changes you are making.
Some here will insist you do everything else first before using meds (statins, etc)
Very few of those giving such advice are dealing with a cholesterol of 485.
wade4veg

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:10 pm

colonyofcells

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Norm wrote:You have a lot in common with Rip Esselstyn and the story behind The Engine 2 Diet!

Rip and his story has been a great inspiration. I also really like your story and website. I have great willpower at times, but it seems to diminish...Hence the Juicing.
Firemed57

Postby Firemed57 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:23 pm

I've done a ton of reading today and have some great resources now. Thanks All

Has anyone heard of tips/tricks or stories to get rid of Iron naturally? Does the Iron come with the Cholesterol?
Firemed57

Postby viv » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 pm

Thank goodness you found us in time to get healthy. You are doing the very best thing possible for your health by going on the Starch Solution Dr. McDougall's latest book, it's been my "Bible" for over two years now and it has changed my (and many others) life.

Here's a link to a Star McDougaller (Success Story) who has a similar history to you; high cholesterol and Hemochromatosis.

Good luck and best of health to you.
Viv

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... an-ginger/
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Birdy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

If you are able to, donating blood is a good way to reduce your iron stores over time.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Next

Return to The Lounge