Help - Cholesterol is 485 and my liver is angry!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Help - Cholesterol is 485 and my liver is angry!

Postby MINNIE » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 am

Suggested reading:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Engine-Diet-F ... 0446506699

The author is the son of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, who wrote Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

They both recommend eating plant-based cuisine, without added fats and oils. This is not a "diet" in the sense that you do it for a while and then go back to old habits -it' a new lifestyle.

It's a major change at first for most people who eat typical American food.

But once you do it for a while it is easy. (I've done it for 3 years now, and love the food).

Best wishes for improving your health!
MINNIE

Postby bethannerickson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:55 am

Firemed57 wrote:Thanks Guys,

I am currently under "Doctors care" with Kaiser and feel like I have been taken care of pretty well. I'm new to Kaiser and still waiting on the Appointment with the GI doc about my liver lab tests. I know enough that I need to get started on something quickly and Thanks to the Netflix Documentaries, I found the FOK, Engine 2, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

I appreciate your responses and will look into each one. It's refreshing to know that there is help out there.

John

Wow, you're very fortunate. From what I hear, Kaiser is aware of plant based diets and you may be able to work with them to get started McDougalling.

Here's a brochure from KaiserPermanente.org explaining their approach... they even quote McDougall, Esselstyn, and such. (I hope they're the same organization):

http://share.kaiserpermanente.org/wp-co ... ooklet.pdf

Good luck! My husband had a heart attack (100 percent blocked right coronary artery) over 12 years ago and has thrived on this lifestyle.

Beth :)
bethannerickson

Postby Drew_ab » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:35 pm

It sounds like you are in good hands. You have the highest cholesterol I've heard of anyone having. Are you experiencing any symptoms, perhaps erectile dysfunction?
Drew_ab

Postby mpthompson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Firemed57, good luck to you on your journey. I too started with juicing after watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" just over a year ago and transitioned to the McDougall way of eating as I knew that juicing was only a short term quick fix. A year later and I've lost about 50 pounds (about 30 of the pounds from juicing) and I'm working with my doctor at Kaiser to wean myself off of statins for high cholesterol. She's a bit skeptical as she keeps telling me it's in my gene's which diet won't help. However, I've reduced my dosage by half as my numbers are now very good. Hopefully I'll be able to work with her to get off of them completely later this year. I've found Kaiser to be kind of a mixed bag. While I have read about their efforts to promote plant based eating to their members, I have yet to see it propagate down through the ranks of the medical staff.

I've never heard of a cholesterol number as high as yours, but there is some excellent advice in the posting above. It sounds like you are well on your way to dealing with the problem and finding a solution that will work for you over the long term.
mpthompson

Postby StarchHEFP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 am

Drew_ab wrote:It sounds like you are in good hands. You have the highest cholesterol I've heard of anyone having. Are you experiencing any symptoms, perhaps erectile dysfunction?

Are there no boundaries? I would call that TMI IMHO. Leave that question to the doctors!

I wish you the best and hope that you can figure this out and find the right approach (medical / nutritional). One small tip: Curcumin/Turmeric is recommended as one of the "top 10" by Dr. Michael Greger "How Not to Die" and there's some amazing research. I can't speak to the effects in humans on cholesterol but the research looks promising at least in the laboratory. Total juice fasting is a little risky because of the potential for hyperglycemia and increase in insulin that accompanies it. I personally never recommend it myself, nor does Dr. McDougall endorse it, ever. Remember Joe the Juicer lost weight, then regained it! Just to also let you know, Dr. McDougall has a more intensive program called "Maximum Weight Loss" for which I have bought the Kindle book, but in the newer book "Starch Solution" there are a few pages about it. The guidelines are all contained in the message boards as well as his newsletters. This program eschews refined grain products in favor of whole, intact grains; limited amount of fruits; more nonstarchy vegetables than the regular program.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16713233
StarchHEFP

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:35 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:
Drew_ab wrote:It sounds like you are in good hands. You have the highest cholesterol I've heard of anyone having. Are you experiencing any symptoms, perhaps erectile dysfunction?

Are there no boundaries? I would call that TMI IMHO. Leave that question to the doctors!

I disagree. Many doctors often bead around the issue and don't tackle it head on. And with such an unbelievably high cholesterol, it's hard to imagine things functioning normally for them down below.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/surviva ... and-death/

The OP should watch this video.
Drew_ab

Postby Firemed57 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Please keep responses professional and helpful. I am looking to gain knowledge and change my lifestyle.

Thanks Drew
Firemed57

Postby Firemed57 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Good stuff...thanks everyone, please keep it coming.
Firemed57

Previous

Return to The Lounge