Amtrak

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Amtrak

Postby f1jim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:58 am

On my way to catch an Amtrak train for a run between Emeryville, CA and Denver, CO. I called in advance and specified two vegan passengers for the trip. I am promised bean burgers and chile for lunch and dinner options, as well as a salad. That's it for vegan options except a veggie burger in the snack car. They can't tell me if that is vegan so I won't touch it. My options are for food served in the dining car. We will be packed with options we bring ourself for the 33 hour trip. This is Amtrak so the 33 hours may expand greatly, given their track record. Amtrak is definitely not BritRail or the German train system.
I love traveling by train. Anywhere anytime. Just stick me up in the dome car and I'll watch the world go by. Back Saturday via plane so no food served in "steerage" class there.
Wave if you see the train roll by.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Amtrak

Postby Jeepsterhound » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:18 am

Have a fun trip, Jim. It sounds like you are well prepared and won't go hungry! :)
Jeepsterhound

Postby petero » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 am

If it's the same veggie burger they served ten years ago, then no, it has cheese in it. Did you spring for the sleeping room? If so, how was it? Trains are my favorite way to travel, too.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby f1jim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am

It's confirmed Vegan. We sprang for the "roomette" which was $450. We are waiting to board now.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:35 am

Wow, that sounds great. Have a wonderful time.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby f1jim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Well the trip from Emeryville, CA to Denver, CO was beautiful and relaxing. In typical Amtrak fashion the train was 2 hours late getting into Denver so we had an additional dinner meal on board.
The food was better than expected for those trying to eat healthy on the trip. We had a very bean and corn burgers on the usual white flour buns. Excellent tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and a pickle to go with it. They also had a nice Pad Thai noodle dish. Their vegan black bean enchiladas were nice, We asked them for a baked potato with the Enchiladas and they accommodated us.
It's not the Millenium restaurant but it was a much nicer eating experience than expected.
The snack car was worthless. They also sold a veggie burger but it looked terrible. I didn't bother with it.
Don't be afraid to take the train. The word about healthy eating is getting out, even to Amtrak.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby petero » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks for the update. Nice that they have those options. The last time I took the train from Chicago to New York was about ten years ago and the dinner may not have had any vegan options at all since I remember having salmon. It was surprisingly good too, though, for what I was expecting. It must be business class airline food.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby patty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Sounds like a enjoyable trip. Mahalo for the update.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge