Where do you get your protein?...Yes here we go again...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Where do you get your protein?...Yes here we go again...

Postby geo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Yep its 2016 and there are still Senior Dr's out their that think veggies don't have complete proteins and you need to mix/compliment your veggies to get "complete" proteins and that vegetarians have a harder time getting adequate protein than omnivores and that "extreme" vegetarianism isn't optimal for human health... :eek:

So says Dr David Seres, director of medical nutrition in the Institute of Human Nutrition at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/02/0 ... cmp=hphz19

We are doomed...so why am I laughing so hard, BWAAHAHAHAHAHA
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Where do you get your protein?...Yes here we go again...

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:44 am

I heard rumors that fox news does not tell the truth so I avoid fox news.
colonyofcells

Re: Where do you get your protein?...Yes here we go again...

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 am

Actually I found the article to be mostly factual aside from the use of the term "complete protein". It's not necessary and continues to perpetuate the need of having to consume '"complete protein". If you read on you Dr. Seres clears this up.

Vegetarians can get their daily 55-or-so grams by eating varied grains and legumes, which together constitute a “complete” protein, with the nine essential amino acids the body requires to function optimally. Dr. Seres notes that it isn’t necessary to consume a complete protein at every meal, or even every day. “Your body has a great ability to store these proteins for days,” he says.

What I don't agree with is the following;
Vegans can get all the proteins they need from grains and legumes, Dr. Seres says, “but you still have to supplement with an animal-derived B12 to be healthy.”

I did like the following though;
People seem to have a dietary bias toward protein, Dr. Seres notes. “Carbohydrates and fat have both been vilified, by people with real credentials and by some quacks,” he says. He believes the federal dietary guidelines—which recently changed to recommend that adult and teen males consume slightly less protein every day from meat, poultry and eggs, and that everyone cut back on sugar—are still probably higher than necessary.

He concluded with the following;
To keep things simple, Dr. Seres doesn’t recommend a hard and fast number of grams of protein a day. Instead he has this advice for vegetarians: “Go for the bean and the grain, and you should be fine.”

Indeed, that's pretty consistent with McDougall principles.
Pumpkin Pete

Return to The Lounge