High-Carb Hannah and the Potato Cleanse

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

High-Carb Hannah and the Potato Cleanse

Postby Katydid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:20 pm

I've been following this vegan blogger name High Carb Hannah for the last week or so on YouTube as she follows an all potato diet. Now I see a write up in the Daily Mail of all places.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... rowns.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs1uwp ... r5xN2ioL_w

Good plug for the Starch Solution.

Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Re: High-Carb Hannah and the Potato Cleanse

Postby patty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Great article. I will have to send it to my daughter and daughter in-laws. Mahalo
for posting.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Love this story! 2016 will be the year of the potato :)
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Melinda » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Awesome! From North America to Australia and the U.K.! Great that they showed a picture of The Starch Solution!
Melinda

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Just watched her video from yesterday and sound a lot more like she is really eating a slightly modified Mary's mini using potatoes and sweet potatoes as her starch. She is including a lot of non-starchy veg i.e. mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, don't remember what all but that a pretty much ad libitum potatoes. Great promo and great for her though either way!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby dailycarbs » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 am

Let's not get too excited. She gained 30 lbs "on fruit" doing raw till 4. Odds are that she'll maligning potatoes within 6 months. People like her should come with a warning label.
dailycarbs

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 am

dailycarbs wrote:Let's not get too excited. She gained 30 lbs "on fruit" doing raw till 4. Odds are that she'll maligning potatoes within 6 months. People like her should come with a warning label.

Likely every person on these forums has a history of poor dietary practices prior to finding Dr McDougall. Even Dr McDougall!!! Many years ago, before he figured all this out for us, he had a very poor diet and suffered greatly from it.

The odds really are that she will do whatever she does and then we will find out about it. If we care.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 am

dailycarbs wrote:Let's not get too excited. She gained 30 lbs "on fruit" doing raw till 4. Odds are that she'll maligning potatoes within 6 months. People like her should come with a warning label.

The learning curve of this WOE is very deep. A while ago someone posted a link to one her videos and she shared that in a personal conversation with Dr. McDougall he had shared, he wished MWL had never been published. I wish her the best as those who she attracts with her success. How great they showed the cover of "The Starch Solution". I would have loved to have seen Jeff Novick's bean burgers with the basic recipe in the article.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby lilypad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:30 pm

patty wrote:The learning curve of this WOE is very deep. A while ago someone posted a link to one her videos and she shared that in a personal conversation with Dr. McDougall he had shared, he wished MWL had never been published. I wish her the best as those who she attracts with her success. How great they showed the cover of "The Starch Solution". I would have loved to have seen Jeff Novick's bean burgers with the basic recipe in the article.

Aloha, patty

What reason did he give for that?
lilypad

Postby hazelrah » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:44 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:

Likely every person on these forums has a history of poor dietary practices prior to finding Dr McDougall. Even Dr McDougall!!! Many years ago, before he figured all this out for us, he had a very poor diet and suffered greatly from it.

The odds really are that she will do whatever she does and then we will find out about it. If we care.

Amen. Let he/she who is without an embarrassing past cast the first stone;

"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story."

The Desiderata of Happiness
Max Ehrmann

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby tiredapplestar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 pm

I have been following her on youtube for a long time and am in her Facebook group (very nice group of people that are non judgemental). She has been Mcdougall for at least a year now, and is basically just doing Marys Mini. She tried raw til 4, it didn't work but has lost a ton of weight on SS, just like most of the people here. Should they have warning labels too?
tiredapplestar

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:07 pm

My problem with her, her husband and many of the Vegan YouTubers (I follow most of them and have watched probably all of them at least at one point), is that they are offering coaching and nutritional advice. Now some YouTubers have certifications and even degrees in nutrition, but neither Hannah nor DMan do.

I have no problem with them making money off being entertainers, selling recipe books, etc, but I do have a problem with them offering specific advice, answering specific questions and making money off such services. For one, Hannah is still a yo-yo dieter and unproven. She has yet to show the long-term commitment and dedication to make her a success story with this WOE. She goes a few weeks cutting out this and then that yet still not "getting this WOE and applying it properly". Although both her and DMan claim to be following this WOE, you can clearly see otherwise when you watch all their videos. They have gone through phases of eating way too many packaged goods with high sodium, fats and sugars. How can you coach others when you yourself are still being coached by Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick and you still are not applying it properly? You can clearly see them say in several videos that they are learning so much from Dr. McDougall and in the same videos that they have coaching clients already.

Such people espouse they are following this WOE (just like so many here on the forums), when they are not, which then influences others who do not know better. This will lead some to follow what they think is this WOE and be unhealthy, which in turn they blame this WOE, quit and shout to the world things like "the McDougall Diet didn't work for me", "everyone is different", "I had to listen to my body and eat eggs", etc.

So are they good for the movement or not? I say both. We need more and more mainstreaming of this WOE, but wayyyyyyy more than not you see people who take the long road because they were following other followers instead of the experts. Eventually they get to The Starch Solution, 1 10-Day program or any of the other Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick resources. And we have no idea exactly how many people actually get turned off from bad experiences by following fake-experts. That in-turn leads to a whole other revolution of voices which we hear about all the time too.

So what can each of us do? It is easy:

1. Follow the advice of Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick. If you did that and that alone you would be healthy. I'm not saying you would be perfect as some things cannot be undone and some of us have to further eliminate foods (ED) like wheat, corn, soy, etc. Dr. McDougall has a super simple and easy program and Jeff Novick, who does not get enough credit, can explain the devil in the details. Some people will even have to consult with them directly.

You don't need to also follow Dr. Greger, Fuhrman and 5 others, combine their advice, take 5 supplements, train like madmen and live in a Blue Zone. No, no, no. How many times has Dr. McDougall been proven right over and over and for decades before mainstream Science agrees with him? Too many to count.

2a. Always point others back to 1.

or

2b. Go through formal training, education, run studies, publish, and practice for decades to get the collective knowledge of these 2 experts. We need more of this, but it's convenient to follow 2a.

Scott
Ltldogg

Postby patty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:56 pm

lilypad wrote:
patty wrote:The learning curve of this WOE is very deep. A while ago someone posted a link to one her videos and she shared that in a personal conversation with Dr. McDougall he had shared, he wished MWL had never been published. I wish her the best as those who she attracts with her success. How great they showed the cover of "The Starch Solution". I would have loved to have seen Jeff Novick's bean burgers with the basic recipe in the article.

Aloha, patty

What reason did he give for that?

Here is the link to the video and partial transcript:

Losing Weight On The Starch Solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRH-S4O3c_E

I actually talked to doctor mcdougall on a Skype call on and he said
5:04
that he actually you regretted making his book The mcdougal program for
5:09
maximum weight loss because he felt like people were just thinking that they had
5:13
to count calories in that it was like this restrictive diet people would go
5:17
from you know getting started three weeks in seeing you know like 10 pounds
5:22
weight loss and then it would slow down to the 1 to 2 pounds a week that he
5:26
recommends and they were gone the maximum weight loss program and they
5:29
wanted like all these quick results and he's like I regret making it because
5:33
anyone can see your results on just the start solution alone but people do feel
5:38
better eating you know gluten-free diet eating more of a whole foods plant-based
5:43
diet Like not including flours and lots of process bread and things like that so
5:50
this video just to summarize you can eat basically any starch food on the starch
6:00
solution is just really depending on you know what you're comfortable with if
6:05
you're allergic to gluten if you don't like eating like lots of flours are
6:09
processed foods you can eat any low-fat starch-based food and lose weight it's
6:15
just how quickly you gonna happen in what do you feel the back
6:20
gone and what is really your goal but religious
6:23
you're comfortable with you can lose weight eating bread every single day he
6:28
has their studies where people were given you know 12 slices of bread on top
6:33
of their diet and they lost I think over the course of the study they last like
6:38
an extra 20 pounds about changing their diet at all they did was 12 pieces of
6:43
bread and some of it was white bread and some of it was whole grain bread so
6:47
really just focus your diet around whole starches you can eat flours you can eat
6:53
processed whole starchy foods like you can eat whatever you want and don't beat
6:59
yourself up you know like you want to have people and they're like you're not
7:02
having a whole food or something like that you can do whatever you want you
7:06
can lose weight eating any type of starch-based I assume just remember that
7:11
don't beat yourself up just be comfortable do and eat you know what is
7:16
available and what makes you happy in what feels like something that you could
7:19
do forever and if you feel better you know eat more brown rice or potatoes
7:25
then do that if you find you know over time that like eating more processed
7:30
foods you really feel how it affects you and you know it less of those but really
7:35
just do what feels best for you and give it time like the weight will come off it
7:40
is going to take time you did not get over weight or gain all your weight even
7:45
a year two years though you're not gonna lose it and that amount of time like
7:48
it's gonna take time so just enjoy the process enjoy the food they are eating
7:53
and yeah I hope that was helpful for you gary is and I'm gonna be making more Q&A
8:00
videos soon so have any ideas for videos
8:04
leave them in the comments below and I'll see you very very soon

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby Yomom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Ltldogg wrote:My problem with her, her husband and many of the Vegan YouTubers (I follow most of them and have watched probably all of them at least at one point), is that they are offering coaching and nutritional advice. Now some YouTubers have certifications and even degrees in nutrition, but neither Hannah nor DMan do.

I have no problem with them making money off being entertainers, selling recipe books, etc, but I do have a problem with them offering specific advice, answering specific questions and making money off such services. For one, Hannah is still a yo-yo dieter and unproven. She has yet to show the long-term commitment and dedication to make her a success story with this WOE. She goes a few weeks cutting out this and then that yet still not "getting this WOE and applying it properly". Although both her and DMan claim to be following this WOE, you can clearly see otherwise when you watch all their videos. They have gone through phases of eating way too many packaged goods with high sodium, fats and sugars. How can you coach others when you yourself are still being coached by Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick and you still are not applying it properly? You can clearly see them say in several videos that they are learning so much from Dr. McDougall and in the same videos that they have coaching clients already.

Such people espouse they are following this WOE (just like so many here on the forums), when they are not, which then influences others who do not know better. This will lead some to follow what they think is this WOE and be unhealthy, which in turn they blame this WOE, quit and shout to the world things like "the McDougall Diet didn't work for me", "everyone is different", "I had to listen to my body and eat eggs", etc.

So are they good for the movement or not? I say both. We need more and more mainstreaming of this WOE, but wayyyyyyy more than not you see people who take the long road because they were following other followers instead of the experts. Eventually they get to The Starch Solution, 1 10-Day program or any of the other Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick resources. And we have no idea exactly how many people actually get turned off from bad experiences by following fake-experts. That in-turn leads to a whole other revolution of voices which we hear about all the time too.

So what can each of us do? It is easy:

1. Follow the advice of Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick. If you did that and that alone you would be healthy. I'm not saying you would be perfect as some things cannot be undone and some of us have to further eliminate foods (ED) like wheat, corn, soy, etc. Dr. McDougall has a super simple and easy program and Jeff Novick, who does not get enough credit, can explain the devil in the details. Some people will even have to consult with them directly.

You don't need to also follow Dr. Greger, Fuhrman and 5 others, combine their advice, take 5 supplements, train like madmen and live in a Blue Zone. No, no, no. How many times has Dr. McDougall been proven right over and over and for decades before mainstream Science agrees with him? Too many to count.

2a. Always point others back to 1.

or

2b. Go through formal training, education, run studies, publish, and practice for decades to get the collective knowledge of these 2 experts. We need more of this, but it's convenient to follow 2a.

Scott

Yes. Bravo, Scott.
Yomom

Postby LisaEileen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:00 am

I agree Norm. You are the reason that something finally clicked and I have been successful and consistent for over a month now. I read through your journals and realized that it's OK if I'm not 100% perfect all of the time. Baby steps to getting control of my addiction is helping me so much. In the past, I gave up when my addiction took over if I wasn't 100% compliant because I was told that if I'm not 100% compliant, I might as well not eat this way. Hannah and her FB group doesn't resonate with me at all. Personally, it bugs me that she uses the term Potato Cleanse. This is a WOE, not something you do to cleanse your body for awhile and be done with it. That's how I view the word "cleanse." But, maybe others will get started on her potato cleanse and realize this is a WOE for life.
LisaEileen

Next

Return to The Lounge