High-Carb Hannah and the Potato Cleanse

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: High-Carb Hannah and the Potato Cleanse

Postby GlennR » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 am

Norm, I'm with you on this one too. I think we all need to realize that most of the plant doctors are mainly right and all of them will have gaps too. All of them can trot out successful adherents to their approach who've reversed diabetes and cardiac diseases. All of them have people who tried and failed to follow their suggestions. I started my journey to whole foods, plant based with Dr Fuhrman, even attending his get away. In the end the lack of satiety for me made his dietary advice harder to follow than Dr McDougall's. When I switched to starch based eating it was a lot easier for me to manage. However there were plenty of success stories with Dr F. I may not agree with his approach for selling vitamins but I'm sure he's doing more good than harm.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby hazelrah » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Norm wrote:
tiredapplestar wrote:She tried raw til 4, it didn't work but has lost a ton of weight on SS, just like most of the people here. Should they have warning labels too?

Didn't you know? Some of us do come with warning labels. :)

That doesn't bother me. I'm more worried that I came with an expiration date.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby greentea » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 am

I wish this forum had like buttons.
Norm :thumbsup:
greentea

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:10 am

hazelrah wrote:I'm more worried that I came with an expiration date.

Mark

Ah, well, we each have one of those!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby tiredapplestar » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Norm wrote:
tiredapplestar wrote:She tried raw til 4, it didn't work but has lost a ton of weight on SS, just like most of the people here. Should they have warning labels too?

Didn't you know? Some of us do come with warning labels. :)

lol!
tiredapplestar

Postby Debbie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 pm

lilypad wrote:
patty wrote:The learning curve of this WOE is very deep. A while ago someone posted a link to one her videos and she shared that in a personal conversation with Dr. McDougall he had shared, he wished MWL had never been published. I wish her the best as those who she attracts with her success. How great they showed the cover of "The Starch Solution". I would have loved to have seen Jeff Novick's bean burgers with the basic recipe in the article.

Aloha, patty

What reason did he give for that?

The biggest reason is because people tend to ignore the starches opting for a lot more veggies than starches. In this thread, viewtopic.php?p=212124#p212124 , he explains a little more why.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Ltldogg wrote:is that they are offering coaching and nutritional advice. Now some YouTubers have certifications and even degrees in nutrition, but neither Hannah nor DMan do.

I have no problem with them making money off being entertainers, selling recipe books, etc, but I do have a problem with them offering specific advice, answering specific questions and making money off such services.

Scott

I remember making a very similar statement regarding a couple of "diet gurus", that I will not name for I do not want any drama, and got, well drama for having such an opinion. That is why I like you. Thank you for sharing. On my own page, I try to share from Dr. M, Jeff Novick etc. what people need to look into for health, without health advice coming directly from me and if I do give it, I back it with a link from the experts with degrees and knowledge. I do follow Hannah and am in her group and I do appreciate her helping get the word out.

Editing to add after having read Norm's comment

IMO there is nothing wrong with giving experience...but when someone gives specific advice regarding T2, or lowering BP etc, that can be dangerous without medical consult, even from an RD. For me, that is the difference. I love reading from "average joes" on how they reversed their health and lost weight etc, but the giving of specific advice anonymously, well DR. M and Jeff dont even do that and they are highly trained.
Debbie

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:16 pm

High carb Hannah does not have command of the facts and the terminology to communicate her message properly. Perhaps she doesn't have a clear message to begin with. She glosses over details in her videos and mugs for the camera (to make up for it?). She's failed at several diets and is fairly new to the starch solution. She's young, and although that is not a disqualification, there's something to be said for having experience and living through the physical changes of middle age. Degrees and practical experience aren't everything but they make a difference. Dr. McDougall, you'll notice, is an MD and has many decades of medical practice experience seeing probably thousands of patients. That counts!

I'll go so far as to say that are many people right here on this board who are much better qualified to dispense advice on the starch solution than high carb Hannah. The warning label...have your fun with it...it's about the advice she is dispensing. She has no business doing so from what I can see. Her personal journey may be great. It may be uplifting to many and inspire them. That's all great. Make videos all day every day about that. But the advice and her tone of authority is another matter and it will likely do more harm than good. Time will tell.

But let me ask you fans of high carb Hannah something. Why do we need her starch solution advice at all? Was Dr. McDougall negligent in clarifying his position? Did he not write enough books? What about newsletters? Has he neglected publishing articles and updates? Some of you know that he had a radio show. I've listened to every episode. He's made a gazillion videos plus he's posted videos of other icons such as Pritikin. There's the ASW. He answers emails. He's even published a picture book! And of course, Jeff is here to help clarify any further questions. But heaven help us all. We will fail miserably if high carb Hannah doesn't come me to our rescue. Her videos look like like a colossal waste of time to me but knock yourselves out. Your brain cells, your business.
dailycarbs

Postby patty » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Debbie wrote:
lilypad wrote:
patty wrote:The learning curve of this WOE is very deep. A while ago someone posted a link to one her videos and she shared that in a personal conversation with Dr. McDougall he had shared, he wished MWL had never been published. I wish her the best as those who she attracts with her success. How great they showed the cover of "The Starch Solution". I would have loved to have seen Jeff Novick's bean burgers with the basic recipe in the article.

Aloha, patty

What reason did he give for that?

The biggest reason is because people tend to ignore the starches opting for a lot more veggies than starches. In this thread, viewtopic.php?p=212124#p212124 , he explains a little more why.

I found that it took me a long time to grasp satiety from starch. A well worn path in a field of grass, takes time for the grass to grow back when no longer traveling it. And that is true the neuron tracks with my brain. It takes time and practice to create a new path way. I am grateful for Dr. McDougall for the honesty and courage enough to speak up. I remember many years ago, decades ago, Dr. McDougall on the radio here in Hawaii and sharing how health food stores were upset because of his stand on vitamins.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby tiredapplestar » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm

dailycarbs wrote:High carb Hannah does not have command of the facts and the terminology to communicate her message properly. Perhaps she doesn't have a clear message to begin with. She glosses over details in her videos and mugs for the camera (to make up for it?). She's failed at several diets and is fairly new to the starch solution. She's young, and although that is not a disqualification, there's something to be said for having experience and living through the physical changes of middle age. Degrees and practical experience aren't everything but they make a difference. Dr. McDougall, you'll notice, is an MD and has many decades of medical practice experience seeing probably thousands of patients. That counts!

I'll go so far as to say that are many people right here on this board who are much better qualified to dispense advice on the starch solution than high carb Hannah. The warning label...have your fun with it...it's about the advice she is dispensing. She has no business doing so from what I can see. Her personal journey may be great. It may be uplifting to many and inspire them. That's all great. Make videos all day every day about that. But the advice and her tone of authority is another matter and it will likely do more harm than good. Time will tell.

But let me ask you fans of high carb Hannah something. Why do we need her starch solution advice at all? Was Dr. McDougall negligent in clarifying his position? Did he not write enough books? What about newsletters? Has he neglected publishing articles and updates? Some of you know that he had a radio show. I've listened to every episode. He's made a gazillion videos plus he's posted videos of other icons such as Pritikin. There's the ASW. He answers emails. He's even published a picture book! And of course, Jeff is here to help clarify any further questions. But heaven help us all. We will fail miserably if high carb Hannah doesn't come me to our rescue. Her videos look like like a colossal waste of time to me but knock yourselves out. Your brain cells, your business.

You seem very upset about this and your reasoning is all over the place. Maybe you should stop following HCH. Most of her videos are simply SS compliant recipes and her personal success on the SS. Many young people are learning about this WOE because of her and the many other youtubers like her. None of us would have joined this forum if we didn't want to hear personal advice and tips from everyday people. People that are not all Doctors.
tiredapplestar

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:38 pm

dailycarbs wrote:High carb Hannah does not have command of the facts and the terminology to communicate her message properly. Perhaps she doesn't have a clear message to begin with. She glosses over details in her videos and mugs for the camera (to make up for it?). She's failed at several diets and is fairly new to the starch solution. She's young, and although that is not a disqualification, there's something to be said for having experience and living through the physical changes of middle age. Degrees and practical experience aren't everything but they make a difference. Dr. McDougall, you'll notice, is an MD and has many decades of medical practice experience seeing probably thousands of patients. That counts!

Exactly! :thumbsup:
Ltldogg

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 pm

@tiredapplestar
> You seem very upset about this
I'm not.

>your reasoning is all over the place.
If you say so.

>Maybe you should stop following HCH.
What makes you think that I follow her? I only heard of her here and from one other thread so I watched 2 of her videos. I was thoroughly underwhelmed.
dailycarbs

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Dr. McDougall linked to High Carb Hannah's story on Facebook. Would he do that if he had a problem with her or with what she's doing?
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby tiredapplestar » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Dr. McDougall linked to High Carb Hannah's story on Facebook. Would he do that if he had a problem with her or with what she's doing?

He did!
tiredapplestar

Postby Debbie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:16 pm

As I've scrolled around her group, I may have decided to leave it. There is just so much misinformation on it with next to no one trying to set it straight. I just commented on one person's because they recommended adding sugar to water because potatoes cannot supply the brain with a constant enough supply of glucose to help with depression. In the beginning, many pregnant women were told they shouldn't follow the cleanse or Dr. M's plan cause it wasn't healthy. :( (thats all paraphrased so I don't get in any trouble quoting anyone even without a name)
Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge