Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Location: Auckland, New Zealand (born and raised on the West Coast of the US)

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I first read The McDougall Plan: A Challenging Second Opinion in the late 80s. In the mid 90s I read The McDougall Program: 12 Days. I was first on the "McDougall Board" when it was the weight loss board part of VegSource, then followed it over here.

How long have you been following the McD program: LOL, which time? :lol: In the mid 90s I followed it strictly for 5 months and lost 50 pounds. Which I regained because I started eating crap again. In 2000 I followed it strictly for 3 months until I started ovulating again and got pregnant. I was off and on for the next couple of years, then totally off.

In 2009, weighing 275+ pounds, I started again and this time lost 140+ pounds (65+ kg), which I’ve mostly kept off.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Weight. Then infertility. Then the increasing likelihood of obesity-related death and disability.

What is your success to date: I lost 130+ pounds (60+ kg) – about half my body weight. I’ve run two half marathons. I’ve kept my weight mostly under 65kg (143lb), but ideally I know I should be around 60kg. I'm 5'3" (so should probably be more like 57-58kg, but I have a lot of extra skin that's pretty heavy).

Describe a typical day of McDougalling for you: I eat a big bowl of veggies and rice around 11am or so, followed by fruit if it’s summer. Dinner is usually potatoes and maybe some more vegetables. That's a typical day of Good McDougalling. :-)

I struggle a lot with volume eating, even when I'm being pretty compliant with what I'm eating. I can eat an astonishing quantity of food. Given the healthfulness and overall low calorie density of a starch-based diet I have more latitude, but I have to really control myself every day or else exercise vigorously every day. I have not been able to successfully stop monitoring my food intake. I can only eat 1200 cal/day (unless I'm exercising maniacally) and I could eat that in a meal.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I don't know that I've ever made a "McDougall Recipe". My favorite things are mostly anything with potatoes. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Microwaved potatoes.

Describe your exercise (how much, what kind, etc): I find that running is the only thing that keeps my lifelong depression more-or-less manageable. I mix running with some strength training. I also probably do 1-3 walks a week of 5-8km each. When I’m in a great phase, I’m running 3 days a week, for a total of about 25+km (15.6 miles), plus 2 days of strength/bodyweight stuff. When I’m in a slack phase, I’m running 2 days a week, only about 8-10km in total. And I turn into SuperGloomyBitch who isn't fit for human company.
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall?: I found Dr. McDougall's website via a split pea soup cup and some free time at an office job. I consumed the website off and on for 2 months (at first thinking it was too extreme) and then decided to become a vegan McDougaller on my 28th birthday. I've read enough now to be convinced that the reason this program works so well is that humans are designed to be herbivores (starchivores really).

How long have you been following the McD program?: Since my 28th birthday I've been a follower of Dr. McDougall, but not always a good follower. In the past I slip up with dairy. I won't eat meat but have eaten dairy or oil. When I do, I get bad results, so I've been getting back to McDougalling to get healthier and lose some weight I gained while being vegetarian. :oops:

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program?: I've always loved animals so I was happy to see that I didn't need to eat them to be healthy. Ethically this program really suits me and aligns with my principles. I also really liked the fact that I could eat until I was full (thanks to fiber) and not gain weight, in fact, even lose weight.

The other thing I liked, as I learned more, was all the disease prevention and reversal that happens with this way of eating... not just heart disease and diabetes, but cancer, arthritis, constipation, ulcer prevention, acne clears up, and more.

Initially it was the animals, my health, and easy weight loss. I also like that I'm doing right by the environment and not contributing to global warming.

What is your success to date?: I'm losing weight without really trying and getting my cholesterol level lower. Not sure exactly where I'm at now but about 20 lbs down from my high (from being junk food vegetarian).

Describe a typical day of McDougalling for you:

Breakfast: cereal (wheat puffs, shredded cinnamon wheat, dry oats) + quinoa milk + sliced banana + lots of cinnamon
Lunch: varies but starch like potato with ketchup or sweet potato with hummus + veggies or salad
Dinner: tacos, no-quesodillas, pasta, rice or noodles with veg stir "fry", vegan sushi, soup and potatoes...etc.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: vegan french toast baguette with cranberries and real maple syrup

Describe your exercise (how much, what kind, etc): I bike to work every day and walk (sometimes) at lunch. I'm taking up skiing so there will be more of that next winter because I'm going to buy a pass. :-D Also, I like to jog for 1/2 hour first thing in the morning but I'm waiting for my knee to get better after a sprain. I really like swimming but I don't belong to a gym any more so I'm only swimming once in a while now. I should really walk and bike more while I wait for my knee to heal up.
Caroveggie

Postby Crunchy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Susan Powter
How long have you been following the McD program: about 10 months
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: my health (or lack thereof): blood pressure, angina, asthma, allergies, and weight loss
What is your success to date: 47 pounds
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: mixed meals of rice, beans, lentils, corn, potatoes, salads, yams, Japanese sweet potatoes, apples, pears, squashes. Very occasional bread or tortillas.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: A big mixed bowl of cooked grain or potato with legumes, roasted veggies, raw spinach, and balsamic vinegar.
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 90 minutes minimum of cardio 7 days a week. 2 days a week of free weights.
Other Hobbies/Interests: Walking, reading, cooking, quilting, music
Crunchy

Postby openmind » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:05 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Coast to Coast AM interview with Dr. McDougall and George Noury.
How long have you been following the McD program: about 2 years and 3 months
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Weight loss
What is your success to date: lost 25 pounds. Some of it has since been gained back because of lack of adherence to the principle of calorie denisty, so I am currently on a Mary's Mini.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: oatmeal or hashed browns in the morning. Rice and beans and veggies or mashed potatoes and veggies for lunch. Dinner varies (bean burritos, stir fry veggies over rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.)
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Burrito bowl
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Walk at least a couple of miles 3-4 days a week.
openmind

Postby Werner1950 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 am

I don't think I have contributed to this thread yet. Here it is.

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I searched the web for answers after a health crisis.
How long have you been following the McD program: About 3 years, off and on. The off part was a big mistake.
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I had my appendics removed at age 63, and my stomach never settled down after that. Secondly, my doctor put me on blood pressure and anti-cholesterol meds and told me I was borderline with cardiac disease, given my family history, etc. I started off by a 1 week juice fast (a la Joe whats his name) and transitioned to McDOugalling. Oh, and the doctor who did my follow up after the surgery discovered a small cyst on my pancreas. He wanted me back for a checkup after 1,5 years. I never returned. I figured, if it gets more serious, there isn't much he can do about it anyway.
What is your success to date: My starting weight was around 185, my goal was 150 (I am 5'4") I lost 25 lbs, but this last Thanksgiving and Christmas, I took a nosedive, gained it all back and then some. AM seriously committed now to not let that happen again.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Boring. Breakfast is most ALWAYS a honking bowl of steel cut oats, a snack of either a banana, orange or apple, Lunch is a potato with salsa, ketchup or tomato sauce, Supper is either a rice bowl with water sauteed mixed veggies or potatoes again, with some kind of on-plan sauce or a sloppy veggie mix.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: That one is easy - Tunisian Sweet Potato stew
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Walk to work and back - round trip 2.5 miles.
Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading, feeding the ducks in my front yard, reading. And increasingly cooking. Yes, I'm a guy.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby elbow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:52 pm

It's fun to read everyone's profiles. Here's mine:

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: back in 2006, I went vegan and was wondering why my health was improving, so I started searching the web and found Dr. McDougall.
How long have you been following the McD program: on and off since 2006. I've cycled between McDougall and Fuhrman, and I've been successful and failures at both. Note: combining them doesn't work unless you are careful--otherwise too many starches + too many nuts = weight gain. I've had a hard time convincing myself over the years that you don't need nuts. But I'm finally convinced. Jeff Novick's DVDs describing how much essential fats you need in a day (1/4 tsp or something) was convincing. Chef AJ's success and Jeff Nelson's analyses are convincing as well. I also have a hard time limiting nuts to reasonable quantities--I find it easier to go without.
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: wanting to be healthy.
What is your success to date: BMI is 19, body fat percentage 23%, cholesterol is 130. That seems good for a 56 year old woman. I love having energy for physical activity!
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: I have a late breakfast and normal lunchtime, so keep my breakfast fairly light: fruit and veggies and small potato. lunch is sweet potato and veggies. dinner is beans & grain or sweet potato or potato, salad, and fruit. In restaurants I stick to salads and sneak in things, because it's hard to find dishes without oil.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I don't do recipes much. I like simple dishes.
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): run 3 times a week 40-60 minutes each, weights after running; swim 3 times a week, 1 mile each; walk ~3 miles per day; a little yoga and stretching.
Other Hobbies/Interests: flute playing, meditating, volunteering, vegan activism
elbow

Postby MINNIE » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:44 am

Member Profile Template

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr McDougall:
I Serendipitously found The Starch Solution in a bookstore. I wasn't looking for diet books, and don't know why it caught my eye -must have been the potato. I opened the book and browsed, and was astonished when I read that humans thrive on starch. WHAT?? Why had nobody told me this before? That one simple statement has made an incredible change in my life. I had always thought that in order to be healthy I needed to load up on protein, calcium, and "heart-healthy" oils. No wonder I was so sick!

How long have you been following the McD program: Three years and four months.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program:
I was desperate to find an cure for my nearly life-long digestive problems, mainly IBS and GERD. Standard medicine had nothing to offer. I was also worried about my high cholesterol, which was always over 200 even though I had been a vegetarian for most of my adult life, and a vegan for several years pre-McDougall. I wanted to find a way to eat for maximum health, while honoring my love of animals by not eating their flesh, eggs or milk.

What is your success to date: !00% cure of IBS and GERD, cholesterol consistantly below 150. It's a dream come true!

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:
Big bowl of starch for breakfast, usually grain, beans, sprouted corn tortilla and fruit. Sweet potatoes as morning and afternoon snacks. Oats plus fruit for lunch. Potato plus steamed veg. for dinner, fruit for an evening snack. I eat pretty much the same thing everyday and never feel bored.

Favorite McDougall recipe:
Eat starch! Just joking. I'm not a recipe cook and tend to just throw stuff together in a bowl. I do make the International Stew which is featured in both the McDougall and Esselstyn recipes. It's basically just throwing stuff in a bowl :D !

Exercise: Primarily walking (minimum of four miles per day) and strength training. I also like to bike, belly dance and generally move and fidget around.

Hobbies and interests:
Reading, painting, travel, popular music fan in most of its forms. At age 69 I feel that I still have a whole lot to learn about everything,and I am always looking for opportunities to find out how stuff works.

Other: I work full time, play when I can. Life is good!
Last edited by MINNIE on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
MINNIE

Postby BroccoliForever » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:46 am

How long have you been following the McD program: 10+ years

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Read "Diet for A New America", and began eating the McDougall diet. Also, I was tired of watching my father and other family members suffer unnecessarily from preventable SAD diseases. I knew I would be next if I didn't make a change.

What is your success to date: All blood tests are pristine. On no medications. At a healthy weight for my height. Many, many years ago, I had been experiencing extreme urges to urinate and was prescribed Detrol. I gave up diet drinks, all carbonated beverages and artificial sweeteners which resulted in the complete elimination of the need to take Detrol. (My doctor told me I would be on it for the rest of my life when originally prescribed.) I do think I have the tendency to overeat, so I have eliminated sugar (I just can't do a little) and sugar-like products (e.g., honey, agave, brown sugar, maple syrup). I am MUCH happier now that I have done this. I eliminated processed sugar January 2015.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:BKFST: Oatmeal with apple and cinnamon, LUNCH: Rice or potatoes with leftover or cooked veggies. DINNER: Rice and beans with a salad and veggies. DESSERT: Frozen fruit sprinkled with oatmeal. SNACKS: usually any kind of fruit.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Brussel Sprouts with Spaghetti Squash from Susan Voisin's blog, FAT FREE VEGAN
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/01/spaghetti-squash-roasted-brussels-sprouts-chickpeas.html

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): yoga, gym workouts (cardio/weights), walking, biking

Other Hobbies/Interests: family, cooking healthy meals, watching webinars on healthy eating, reading.
BroccoliForever

Postby HappyTummy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello Everyone,

How long have you been following Dr. McDougall program: 10 years

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I was vegetarian for many years before going to an Animal Voices Film Festival. Among films of animal suffering and abuse at the hands of humans, I also heard lectures by Ruth Heindrich and Howard Lyman (his film was presented as well) in which Dr. McDougall was mentioned. I met with Ruth Heindrich afterwards and she encouraged me to as a fellow cancer survivor to look up Dr. McDougall and to get rid of dairy and high fat food products. My goals were to lose the weight I had slowly regained post cancer treatment and to follow a healthy lifestyle that keep me cancer-free.

What was your success to date: It's been a rocky road for me. Initially, I lost 10 pounds without much effort. But I soon developed health problems that sent me off track and lead me to a diagnosis of Celiac Disease—likely triggered by the radiation treatment I had for Hodgkin's Lymphoma 20 years ago this year. I now follow a gluten-free diet along with the principals taught by Dr. McDougall and I'm happy that my health is improving, many of my issues are resolving, the weight is slowly coming off again (have lost 40 pounds total so far, maybe 15-20 to go) and the future looks brighter. The only medication I take is Synthroid because of radiation damage to my thyroid gland.

Typical day: Breakfast—gluten-free oatmeal with fruit and ground flax seed. Lunch—potatoes or brown basmati rice with a soup or stew with lots of beans and vegetables, maybe a salad too. Dinner—same as lunch, usually leftovers. Sometimes my meals are very simple, sometimes they are more complicated. Snacks include cooked potatoes and cut veggies or snap peas, or air-popped pop corn with a splash of gf tamari. Dessert—banana ice dream but not often. Potatoes have really helped me not miss gluten so much.

Favourite McDougall Recipe/Dish: Hearty Dahl Soup and Curried Yam Stew with rice.

Describe you exercise: daily morning walk, light stretching

Other hobbies/interests: musician, volunteer board member for a non-profit music school, McDougall friendly recipe blog, reading
http://beansriceeverythingnice.weebly.com/
HappyTummy

Postby Spiral » Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall:
I first read Dr. T. Colin Campbell's The China Study (TCS). That's how I learned about Dr. McDougall.

How long have you been following the McD program:
I started following the McDougall program in the fall of 2010. In 1991 I temporarily adopted Dr. Dean Ornish's program for reversing heart disease from his book of the same title.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program:
I tried eating healthy in 1991, when I was in my mid-20s. But I slid back to my bad eating habits after about a year. By 2010 I was in my mid-40s and I decided that if I was going to live a healthy life in the years ahead, I had better change my habits immediately. I did not have any pressing health problems. I just decided that it would be smart to take a proactive approach.

What is your success to date:
I have successfully changed my eating habits from one that included several trips to fast food and other restaurants every week to one that mostly revolves around healthy plant based meals cooked by me in my kitchen.

My health has improved, but not as much as many who have adopted this program. This is because I had not been suffering from significant health problems when I started. I did start out at about 185 to 190 pounds and ended up at about 150 to 160 pounds after eating healthy.

• Breakfast: oatmeal, collard greens, spices, nutritional yeast, ground flax seed and POMI tomato sauce.
  • Lunch: Three bean chili or pasta marinara or potato-broccoli-cauliflower soup.
  • Dinner: Engine2 veggie burgers or microwaved potatoes or quinoa salad.
  • Snacks: Apples, Oranges and Bananas.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Minestrone Soup. I have never made it myself. My wife, who is not a McDougaller, occasionally makes it for me.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc):
I used to race half marathons. Now I just run at the nearby State Park for fun. When I was racing half marathons, I would usually run 6 days a week, 30 to 40 miles a week, most weeks of the year. Since quitting racing and only running to accomplish modest exercise, I have been running 2 to 4 times a week, 10 to 20 miles a week. Running is currently my only form of exercise. I would like to add some strength training, but haven't got that far yet.

Other Hobbies/Interests:
Music, reading and watching videos about nutrition, reading about current events, politics, economics and history. I enjoy canoeing and kayaking whenever my wife and I get around to it, which isn't real often. Also, my wife and I have acquired a habit of adopting cats that show up on our back deck. We have no children. So our cats are our children.
Spiral

Postby BenzoSt » Sun May 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Just perusing the internet for good health advice.

How long have you been following the McD program: Been following a hybrid of Dr. McDougall, Dr. Ornish, and Dr. Greger’s advice for over 6 months.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I was hornswoggled by paleo-folk into thinking eggs, coconut oil, and butter were good for me! After discovering my cholesterol jumped to over 300, and thereafter dropping it to under 200 by dumping those foods for more legumes, I came to realize that it’s very likely that, at least for me, a fibrous, high-carb diet is proper.

What is your success to date: Reduced cholesterol from 314 to 191 and slightly improved fasting glucose and HBA1C.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Drink some coffee or tea, go for a walk, eat a salad with beans for lunch, do a hard workout in the evening, have a big dinner.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish:
Split-pea soup with potatoes, spicy bean burritos, corn on the cob, oatmeal-berry sludge, popcorn with vinegar and nutritional yeast.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 10k+ steps a day, barbell training 4 times per week with 5/3/1 program, brutal HIIT twice a week, and the occasional 5k jog or bike ride.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Not dying or getting weak and senile, biological psychology, physiology and metabolism, tabletop gaming, music composition, ancient mythology, being nice to frogs.
BenzoSt

Postby peasouper » Sat May 21, 2016 1:27 pm

My name is Sue Grimley, from West Yorkshire, UK, age 62.

I came across Dr McDougall’s website when I was searching for something. I liked the look of it and signed up for the monthly mag. When it came I read it and was hooked.

I have been McDougalling for 5 years 7 months.

Before I began this way of eating I was tired and constipated (despite being a vegetarian), had some irritable bowel problems, heartburn in bed at night. I was worried because my mum died at 61 of a heart attack and she had terminal anal cancer.

My successes to date are numerous! Now I have lots of energy, not constipated and the irritable bowel problems are very rare, no heartburn any more. I lost a 15lbs in weight, cholesterol went down to 153. Very low blood pressure. Improved skin. I feel great every day. Health wise I knock spots off most people my age. I McDougall 100%. I am not a person of half measures. I attended the advanced study weekend in February 2014 and loved every minute. My husband Jim has given up dairy, eggs and only rarely has meat. One of my sisters is McDougalling, my other sister is on her way, my daughter has become vegan (vegan vigilante, you tube!).

On a typical day I will eat, breakfast of oatmeal, made with water containing oat bran, ground flaxseeds, berries and chopped apple, mid-morning a banana, for lunch moroccan vegetable stew with steamed kale and brown rice/millet or big salad with baked potato, mid-afternoon, a few almonds or pumpkin seed ryvita, teatime, green soup or red soup with potatoes, followed by an orange. Supper, oatmeal with raisins. I eat a lot. I generally drink water, sometimes rooibos tea or green tea. All this to maintain a BMI of 18.5

My favourite dish is moroccan veg stew or split green pea stew.

I walk my dog Bob 3 times a day I average 10,000 steps. I go to the Gym twice a week.

Other Hobbies/Interests are knitting, dressmaking, reading, singing (church choir), playing the recorder. I also like travel documentaries.
Last edited by peasouper on Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
peasouper

Postby Nane » Wed May 25, 2016 6:03 am

Member Profile Template
Real Name: Anne Monje (if you google it, you will find an American House Decorator, that's NOT me)

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: On Youtube, Durianrider mentioned Dr McDougall, I watched his videos on Youtube, then I found Doug Lisle and Jeff Novick. I liked them. 8) oh I mean I found their arguments valid and convincing...

How long have you been following the McD program: since October 2014

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: One day my doctor said: you are slowly killing yourself with all that pills. My father died from a heartattack following an asthma incident. :crybaby:

What is your success to date: huge weight loss, no more asthma, normal blood pressure, no more depression.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Oatmeal with cinnamon and bananas in the morning, fruits for lunch at work or onigini (riceballs, which I prepare myself) followed by whole grain pasta with lots of veggies for dinner

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: hard to tell, there are so many yummy things, I love everything with beans in it.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Just walking and a bit of light weightlifting at the gym. I would love to go out dancing more often.

Other Hobbies/Interests : I'm interested in American culture in general and baseball in particular. And i love the National Parks.
For the Joy of Living
Nane

Postby kimberlydunn » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:34 am

Member Profile Template

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: You Tube

How long have you been following the McD program: Today

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: registered nurse/self diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis/overweight

What is your success to date: just started today

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish:

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc):none

Other Hobbies/Interests: i am an indoor environmentalist and an R.N., have six children from blended family youngest is 12, love the boat and water :-D
kimberlydunn

Postby veggiecat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:11 am

Cathy Blais
W Palm Beach , FL
I read the first McDougall book a long time ago.I loaned one to Neal Barnard when I was volunteering for PETA.
I'm just trying to stay healthy!
I'm a bartender, so I do a lot of walking at work, plus I walk around shopping after work. I go to Planet Fitness once a week & do occasional yoga.
I love black beans & rice & Indian foods,idli & chana masala.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge