Vegan youtuber- Dr McDougall is wrong about fats

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan youtuber- Dr McDougall is wrong about fats

Postby lilypad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:35 pm

This vegan Youtuber is quite controversial, but she's made this video about Dr McDougall's stance on fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSYA63xNdpM

My personal view is, that a lot of people come to the McDougall lifestyle, when they are very ill or after a health crisis? And this is why the WOE can appear very severe. What I love about this WOE, is that it's somehow managed to cure my binge eating problem, the psychology of 'nothing in moderation' has worked for me.

I think she's being unfair and this comment under the video pretty much sums it up.

For the record, I am a fan of both you and Dr. McDougall. I think that you're looking at him and his program from the wrong point of view, that of a healthy young woman. I came to his program from the point of view of a 300 pound plus, 40 year old woman with a life-long food addiction (hardcore cheese lover). I started with a 30 day vegan challenge and lost a lot of weight, but was starving by the end of that 30 days. I found John McDougall and his recipes/website/videos helped me stay vegan. My diet is not made up of white potatoes and white rice. What he did for me is to take the "boogy man" out of carbs. I do eat avocado and other natural fats, but I keep them to a minimum. Oh, and I really dislike that he is so often lumped in with the raw til 4 people. Putting my soapbox away now. :-

I don't think this youtuber 'gets' the McDougall philosophy. Not everyone can have some fat 'every now and then'. Some have binge eating issues, or a heart issue etc.

Any thoughts, comments?
Last edited by lilypad on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilypad

Re: Popular vegan youtuber- Dr McDougall is wrong about fats

Postby Doug_ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:09 pm

For the record, I am a fan of both you and Dr. McDougall. I think that you're looking at him and his program from the wrong point of view, that of a healthy young woman. I came to his program from the point of view of a 300 pound plus, 40 year old woman with a life-long food addiction (hardcore cheese lover). I started with a 30 day vegan challenge and lost a lot of weight, but was starving by the end of that 30 days. I found John McDougall and his recipes/website/videos helped me stay vegan. My diet is not made up of white potatoes and white rice. What he did for me is to take the "boogy man" out of carbs. I do eat avocado and other natural fats, but I keep them to a minimum. Oh, and I really dislike that he is so often lumped in with the raw til 4 people. Putting my soapbox away now. :-

If this person was starving, they weren't following the program. Also, unless they were out of fat and began metabolizing their muscles, they weren't starving. That is starving.
Doug_

Re: Vegan youtuber- Dr McDougall is wrong about fats

Postby Crider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:58 pm

It was another Swayze click-bait anti/unnatural vegan hit job. She's full of fake meat.
Crider

Postby winter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 pm

This is from her description page on her youtube channel:

So check out some of my videos and subscribe if ya like. I typically post 3-4 times a week including What I Ate Today on Mondays cuz I like money. Also, I am not a doctor, a dietitian or a scientist. I do have a college degree though . . . in philosophy.

Pretty much says it all.
winter

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm

I was going to post that a few days ago, but decided she didn't deserve the attention she was seeking. The entire video is a snooze fest of no information. She can continue her Eco Atkins journey & take the gullible down with her. :paranoid: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:22 pm

That vegan youtuber is mainly promoting the vegan diet according to the books of nutritionist Ginny Messina (Vegan For Her) and nutritionist Jack Norris (Vegan For Life). There is no need to get excited over the differences among the many promoters of the vegan diet and to decide which vegan guru to follow, maybe just listen to your heart.
colonyofcells

Postby Katydid » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 am

Just as an aside, I have been following this way of eating for 18 years now
(Haven't starved to death yet :D). I've seen Dr. McDougall put out a lot of controversial and unpopular opinions over the years. - but I have rarely (if ever) found him to be wrong. Even when I disagree ( I remember being shocked about his mammogram advice), sooner or later popular science catches up and he is proven right. :lol:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby lilypad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 am

healthyvegan wrote:I was going to post that a few days ago, but decided she didn't deserve the attention she was seeking. The entire video is a snooze fest of no information. She can continue her Eco Atkins journey & take the gullible down with her. :paranoid: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

As people were commenting on her video and believing what she is saying, I wanted to see what other's thoughts were.

I've watched a few of her videos and I've found them quite baffling- it looks like she's saying a lot but she's actually not lol. Like you say, a 'snooze fest of no information'. I think the way she words things, using 'scientific words' makes her look like she's saying more than she is.

Her delivery is extremely annoying and she's unlikable, so I generally don't watch her. She pulls these extremely weird facial expressions which put me off lol. Like you say, she seems attention seeking and generally a negative person.

I'm just a big fan of what Dr McDougall does, and not just for weight loss, but for those who've cured themselves of horrible illnesses.
lilypad

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:17 am

I wonder how she'd respond if McDougall said he'd come on her channel for an interview... I need to find a lab that will analyze fat biopsies & a Dr who'd do them for a reasonable price so I can start challenging these people like her to "show us your fat" now I think that would make a good youtube vid... "well Unnatural Vegan your fat analysis came back and it's 55% palm oil, and looking at your grocery receipts that matches up nicely with the Trader Joe's O's habit, turns our you are wearing the fat from cookies!"

:D
healthyvegan

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 pm

She is right from one perspective. There is no scientific proof that has ever shown that PLANT fat is bad for you. If that was the case the 7th Day Adventists (30% from oils, nuts and seeds on average) and the Blue Zone people in the Med (40% fat from olive oil) would be dying like flies from heart disease and type 2. They aren't. There are those of us like myself that just can't stand eating high fat. The stuff just sits in your stomach and you barely want to move until it gets digested. But, being unhealthy is another matter.
Jumpstart

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:17 am

Jumpstart, plenty of proof plant fat streaks arteries, causes bleeding, promotes cancer growth, type 2 diabetes. Dr. McDougall covers it all.
healthyvegan

Postby winter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 am

healthyvegan wrote:causes bleeding

Chalk this up to not knowing for sure but relatively shortly after I stopped consuming Tofu my nose bleeds stopped.

I used to eat a lot of it [ 1-2 packages per day .]
winter

Re: Popular vegan youtuber- Dr McDougall is wrong about fats

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Doug_ wrote:If this person was starving, they weren't following the program. Also, unless they were out of fat and began metabolizing their muscles, they weren't starving. That is starving.

What she said was - I started with a 30 day vegan challenge and lost a lot of weight, but was starving by the end of that 30 days.

In that context, she's simply stating that she was really hungry. LOL But if she was eating a lot of vegan-style mock-omni foods that are low in fibre, then I could see her not feeling satisfied.

It sounds like she discovered Dr. McDougall toward the end of the challenge. The satiety level of a whole-foods diet is much higher - I found John McDougall and his recipes/website/videos helped me stay vegan.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Return to The Lounge