Vitamin D Supplementation and Physical Decline

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Vitamin D Supplementation and Physical Decline

Postby f1jim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Again, the issue isn't whether vitamin D supplementation is always bad or always good. It's whether people should take vitamin D pills prophylacticly to provide protection from something or take them under the direction of a trained professional. One way is reckless and possibly dangerous, the other, the way Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick recommend. Big difference between the two.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby pundit999 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:44 am

Norm wrote:It was my understanding that while Dr. McDougall favored sunlight for Vitamin D that he does acknowledge that some people need low levels of supplementation. Am I mistaken about that?

And I know I've heard other plant-based gurus also mention Vitamin D. I'm not a fan of supplements personally, but am not so sure one study is enough to convince me to tell people never to take them.

-Norm

The main point Dr mcdougall makes is that about 20 reading on vitamin d test is all you need and if you can't get to it by being in the sun, you should get the vitamin d lamp instead of taking supplements. I think the studies prove him right again and again.
pundit999

Postby dynodan62 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:43 pm

This constant rehashing of the vitamin D issue always seems to ignore the 'elephant-in-the-room', namely: that levels officially designated 'deficient' are based on associative analysis, not cause & effect. When a majority of healthy young subjects getting plenty of sun exposure typically fail the sufficiency test, just like Dr. M., I smell a rat!
dynodan62

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:55 pm

dynodan62 wrote:This constant rehashing of the vitamin D issue always seems to ignore the 'elephant-in-the-room', namely: that levels officially designated 'deficient' are based on associative analysis, not cause & effect. When a majority of healthy young subjects getting plenty of sun exposure typically fail the sufficiency test, just like Dr. M., I smell a rat!

That cuts both ways. Most studies of nutrition, diets, supplements, nearly 100% of studies are done on already unhealthy subjects eating SAD. Do we discount them all?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:38 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Most studies of nutrition, diets, supplements, nearly 100% of studies are done on already unhealthy subjects eating SAD. Do we discount them all?

Only those that fail the standards of scientific reason.
Do SAD eaters get fat & sick because of their diet, or do fat sick people just naturally prefer the standard American diet? Too bad we can't imprison a suitably large representative population segment for life, and control absolutely their every dietary/nutritional aspect until they die (that kind of study might prove truly illuminating)! Until then, we are left merely guessing about what seems most likely, using Aristotelian logic.
dynodan62

Postby Farmerfanny » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 am

Sunshine and green leafy vegs. Calcium supplimentation is usually calcium carbonate which is wall plaster. Don't think we have a wall plaster shortage in our bodies.
Farmerfanny

Postby Dougalling » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:58 am

Hi

The studies were done on " in the inpatient and geriatric patient population. "
These people are prone to falls, infections, and death.
It does not say the percentage of increase of those using vitamin D.
It could be as low as 0.5% or it could be a significant percentage. It does not say.

Here's a study with statistics which state that vitamin D significantly protected patients from falls.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... edMessage=

" Participants in the 800 IU group had a 72% lower adjusted-incidence rate ratio of falls than those taking placebo over the 5 months (rate ratio=0.28; 95% confidence interval=0.11–0.75). "
Dougalling

Previous

Return to The Lounge