Recommended type of B12 supplement

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Recommended type of B12 supplement

Postby flroots » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:07 am

Thanks to all for your comments.

Decided to buy some methyl B12 of 1000 mcg. I'll continue my cyan B12 100 mcg daily along with 1000 mcg methyl B12 weekly for at least as long as the cyan lasts. After that I'll make a decision whether to drop the cyan or not. This is where I bot it:
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Me ... zenges/129

I like the fact that this brand can be chewed or dissolved. Also it states that it's suitable for vegetarians and vegans which means that there are no animal-based fillers added.
flroots

Postby Spiral » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 am

flroots wrote:We've been taking 100 mcg daily of Cyanocobalamin B12 while on the McDougall diet. We have tested on the low side, but within the normal range over the same period.

When you get tested, test Methylmalonic Acid, not just serum B-12. Methylmalonic acid levels are considered a better test of B-12 than testing B-12 directly.
Spiral

Postby flroots » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:23 am

Spiral wrote:
flroots wrote:We've been taking 100 mcg daily of Cyanocobalamin B12 while on the McDougall diet. We have tested on the low side, but within the normal range over the same period.

When you get tested, test Methylmalonic Acid, not just serum B-12. Methylmalonic acid levels are considered a better test of B-12 than testing B-12 directly.
Thanks. Wonder if that test is routine and allowed under medicare?
flroots

Postby hazelrah » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 pm

f1jim wrote:I can't get the link to work. Is it just me or is everyone able to use the link?

The link worked for me behind the firewall at work, but it is for costco Canada.

Hmm, now it's not going to COstco at all, just to iHerb.

Guess I'm confused ( surprise ). The costco above was Canada as you mentioned but the link is working for me and onm this page the Iherb link is pointing to a different source ( and a diiffrent brand).

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby C.R.MacDonald » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Sorry for all of the confusion on the link I provided... it works fine for me, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. Blah.

That being said, yes, the site is for Costco Canada. I was hoping that it would have similar availability in the U.S.
- C.R.MacDonald
C.R.MacDonald

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Looked at the local Costco and it has 2 sublingual b12 products : 1 cyanocobalamin and 1 methylcobalamin. Both bottles have a verified symbol. The store also has a regular b12 pill (cyanocobalamin). I do not believe the differences are significant so I usually just buy the cheapest one. The current one I am using is a timed release b12 pill but I do not see it in costco anymore.
colonyofcells

Postby hazelrah » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Lucky VItamin has this for $0.0624/ 1000 mcg. Doesn't beat the Costco Canada @ $0.0611, but it's pretty close..

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-16830-jar ... Am3O8P8HAQ

I've used them over the last couple of years and they have been pretty good for us.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby flroots » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:17 pm

hazelrah wrote:Lucky VItamin has this for $0.0624/ 1000 mcg. Doesn't beat the Costco Canada @ $0.0611, but it's pretty close..

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-16830-jar ... Am3O8P8HAQ

I've used them over the last couple of years and they have been pretty good for us.

Mark
Thanks. This is the same one I ordered above. I chose iHerb.com because they gave a $5 discount on first order and they give free shipping for orders greater than $20 whereas other sites typically require $49. I'm not sure how reliable they are since I've never dealt with them before. I normally prefer Amazon Prime because shipping is free and my credit card returns 5% at Amazon. Unfortunately, this product is something called an 'add-on item' which prevents it from being ordered individually? Has anyone dealt with iHerb.com before?
flroots

Postby flroots » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:52 am

Can anyone recommend the frequency with which we should be taking 1000 mcg of methyl B12? The bottle says daily, but the report linked below says bi-weekly:
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

The report is based on the cyan version, but since methyl is supposed to have a higher absorption rate not sure why it should be any more often.
flroots

Postby f1jim » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:19 am

I take that dosage twice a week. Been doing that for several years. Might be able to reduce that to once a week based on my numbers.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby flroots » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:11 am

f1jim wrote:I take that dosage twice a week. Been doing that for several years. Might be able to reduce that to once a week based on my numbers.
f1jim
Thanks. I too am debating between once or twice per week.
flroots

Postby flroots » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 am

flroots wrote:
f1jim wrote:I take that dosage twice a week. Been doing that for several years. Might be able to reduce that to once a week based on my numbers.
f1jim
Thanks. I too am debating between once or twice per week.
We decided to take our 1000 mcg Methylcobalamin B12 daily. This is based mainly upon the daily recommendation for those 65+ of 500-1000 mcg daily in the following report:
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec
flroots

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 pm

I have the book Vegan For Life by vegan nutritionist Jack Norris and he does have a few differences of opinion compared to Dr McDougall. I sometimes use the the Jack Norris web site veganhealth org. Large doses of b12 seems harmless so I do not give it much thought about how much b12 I am taking daily. It is easier for me to remember to take b12 if I take it daily.
colonyofcells

Postby flroots » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:20 pm

colonyofcells wrote:I have the book Vegan For Life by vegan nutritionist Jack Norris and he does have a few differences of opinion compared to Dr McDougall. I sometimes use the the Jack Norris web site veganhealth org. Large doses of b12 seems harmless so I do not give it much thought about how much b12 I am taking daily. It is easier for me to remember to take b12 if I take it daily.
Thank. Yes, it's very easy to remember daily and as you say, there's no worry of overdose.
flroots

Previous

Return to The Lounge