Potatoes can help cut cancer

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potatoes can help cut cancer

Postby BryterLayter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:02 am

I just read this in the Telegraph, nice to see the humble potato getting some positive exposure in the media :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12022768/Potatoes-can-help-cut-cancer-risk.html
BryterLayter

Re: Potatoes can help cut cancer

Postby Spiral » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 am

This article indicates that salt consumption increases stomach cancer risk.
Spiral

Postby dailycarbs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 am

Also fruits and white veggies reduce risk. Beer and alcohol increase it. So not strictly about potatoes. Perhaps specific type of micronutrient but I'm not a reductionist so I don't really spend much time on this stuff. My thought is eating fiber = digestive health (and good all around health). So it all comes back to whole plants. But I'm a huge potoato fan so I'll take any good press in that area.
dailycarbs

Postby Taggart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:08 am

In their excellent book published in 2009, Eating Well, Living Well, authors Richard Beliveau, Ph.D & Denis Gingras, Ph.D both cancer researchers at the time with University of Quebec at Montreal say on page 153:

"The anticancer compounds of potatoes, for example, are found only in the skin."

Perhaps something to consider for those who always like to peel their potatoes and then chuck out the skin.
Taggart

Postby Ern2Win » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Taggart wrote:In their excellent book published in 2009, Eating Well, Living Well, authors Richard Beliveau, Ph.D & Denis Gingras, Ph.D both cancer researchers at the time with University of Quebec at Montreal say on page 153:

"The anticancer compounds of potatoes, for example, are found only in the skin."

Perhaps something to consider for those who always like to peel their potatoes and then chuck out the skin.

Pretty much the same as apples.
Ern2Win

Return to The Lounge