can certain food make TSH number high?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

can certain food make TSH number high?

Postby papayahead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:36 am

can certain food affect TSH number? carbs? glueten? sugar?

Thanks for any insight!
papayahead

Re: can certain food make TSH number high?

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:51 am

colonyofcells

Postby papayahead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank you, colonyofcells!

I read this on another forum:

My eldest daughter that is crazy about carbs was diagnosed with thyroid disease. Her doctor recommended cutting out soda, and carbs to see if it straightens out. She went gf, cut out soda two months ago and her thyroid is fine now.

thought I'd ask if anyone else on this forum has experience like this...
papayahead

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Alan Goldhamer of True North, friend to McDougall, says nearly all hypothyroid is Hashimots's and is caused by gluten intolerance.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:33 pm

jsmo wrote:
vgpedlr wrote:Alan Goldhamer of True North, friend to McDougall, says nearly all hypothyroid is Hashimots's and is caused by gluten intolerance.

Do you know a place I could read more on that? I couldn't find anything on his website. Thanks!

Nope. I asked him in person at the March ASW. I have seen other references, that explain that it's an auto immune reaction, but nothing to link to.
vgpedlr

Postby eshqua » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:56 pm

My low thyroid has returned to normal and I'm off medication. I didn't go gluten free. But I certainly feel going WFPB played a role in the improvement of my thyroid level. I didn't expect to ever get off medication so it was a pleasant surprise. I've never heard before that there is an association of Hashimoto's with gluten sensitivity.
eshqua

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
jsmo wrote:
vgpedlr wrote:Alan Goldhamer of True North, friend to McDougall, says nearly all hypothyroid is Hashimots's and is caused by gluten intolerance.

Do you know a place I could read more on that? I couldn't find anything on his website. Thanks!

Nope. I asked him in person at the March ASW. I have seen other references, that explain that it's an auto immune reaction, but nothing to link to.

Just to clarify, as this did not sound entirely correct to me, I asked Dr Goldhamer this morning and here is his response...

"....most hypothyroid is hashimotos and that some hashimotos share a gene (HLADQ) that is also common to patients with gliaden sensitivity. There is a theory that patients with this gene (1% show celiac) may have their immune system attack their thyroid (not necessarily the colon) and be associated with hashimotos. Like all autoimmune disease it is the immune system attacking itself."

That’s it. Just some theory. No evidence, nor do we recommend it.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby viv » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:44 pm

papayahead wrote:can certain food affect TSH number? carbs? glueten? sugar?

Thanks for any insight!

It's the high fat, highly processed diet that creates the problem. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 30 years ago and over time the meds had to be increased to keep the thyroid levels stable. Since following the McDougall diet over two years ago, no added fats whole foods plant based diet, the meds (levothyroxine) have been reduced for the first time in 30 years. I have lost weight, regained my health and I feel great.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:45 pm

JeffN wrote:

Just to clarify, as this did not sound entirely correct to me, I asked Dr Goldhamer this morning and here is his response...

"....most hypothyroid is hashimotos and that some hashimotos share a gene (HLADQ) that is also common to patients with gliaden sensitivity. There is a theory that patients with this gene (1% show celiac) may have their immune system attack their thyroid (not necessarily the colon) and be associated with hashimotos. Like all autoimmune disease it is the immune system attacking itself."

In Health
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, this is much clearer. When I spoke to Allan, the autoimmune dysfunction sounded far more prevalent. A quick answer that I didn't understand fully.
vgpedlr

Return to The Lounge