Quinoa Milk

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Quinoa Milk

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:33 am

Whole Foods has a quinoa milk which is 40 calories a cup and 0 fat. I think this is the best plant milk out there as far as lowest in fat and calories. I've been having it with my cereal and it's great. I haven't actually tasted it alone though, just with cereal, but it does the job.

I know almond milk, cashew milk, even soy and rice milk - they can be a fattening and even have oil in them sometimes. So I was happy to find this quinoa milk and checked the ingredients and calories/fat calories - looks like it is McDougall safe.

The brand is Suzie's and it is probably also available online.
Caroveggie

Re: Quinoa Milk

Postby Dougalling » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:28 am

Hi

I've seen almond, soy, rice, etc milk with fewer calories than Suzie's quinoa milk. Suzie's has a lot of added sugar.
Dougalling

Postby bbq » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:30 am

bbq

Postby Dougalling » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 am

Hmmm People will have to read the ingredient list as the one I've seen is different.
Suzie's Quinoa Vanilla Milk Beverage
Ingredients: Quinoamilk (filtered water, quinoa), organic evaporated cane juice, calcium carbonate, gellan gum, natural vanilla flavor with other natural flavors, sea salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, D-alpha tocopherol (vitamin E).
Dougalling

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:10 pm

The picture book says do not use artificial vitamins except for b12. Most of the vegan fake milks have added vitamins and added minerals (like calcium carbonate) so I avoid them. I believe Dr Greger does not recommend calcium supplements like calcium carbonate. I have used juice or water+dried fruits for cereal. I have also tried salty steel cut oats over raw vegetables. Processed foods and things that come in packages are often not healthy. Even the natural flavors can be made from animal products. The packaging materials usually come with unhealthy chemicals.
colonyofcells

Postby scooterpie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Article on "natural vanilla flavor." Leave it to beaver--haha:
Beaver Butts Emit Goo Used for Vanilla Flavoring
scooterpie

Postby Dougalling » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Dougalling

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:39 pm

I have the costco kashi cinnamon whole wheat biscuits cereal. It has added sweetener. I can pair it with the acai juice (has added sweetener but has some fiber) I always see at costco. Acai is a bit high in fat.
colonyofcells

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Weird, mine says only 40 calories for a cup, 0 fat calories which makes it a better option imo than almond, soy, or even rice milk (which has some oil in it). I am not sure of the sugar content but it is unsweetened I believe. I don't mind a little sugar, I'd rather have less fat.
Caroveggie

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Grains like oats and quinoa have a percentage fat and both are allowed in the Starch Solution. For the last multiple sclerosis study, the Starch Solution diet used was 15% fat.
colonyofcells

Postby MINNIE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 am

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I use an unsweetened almond milk that has 40 calories per serving (20 from fat), but sometimes I use an unsweetened soymilk that has 80 calories per serving (35 from fat).

I only use a cup per day for cooking, and don't even use it every day. I don't think that the difference of a few calories or grams of fat has any impact as long as I stay within the McDougall guidelines for 10% fat or less per day... which I do.

Now, I know there is no reason to use a commercial plant milk. You could make oat or banana milk at home for practically nothing. But, I don't. I'm aware it isn't nutrtitionally necessary to substitute anything for dairy products. But I still use these products on occasion.

Why? Just because I want to :).

So personally, I would just relax and use the quinoa milk if it adds some enjoyment to your food (and life).
MINNIE

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:43 am

I am trying to lose weight so I feel every little bit helps. If Dr. McDougall wants us to cut out oil, why not cut out the oil in rice milk and the extra fat in soy and almond milk? I believe one of the Star McDougallers warned about almond milk as 50% fat in the Ask a Star McDougaller section. Nuts are limited on this diet also - although if you're only having a limited amount of almond milk guess you're OK. I'd rather keep the fat at a minimum where I can so I can have avocados or some real nuts once in a while.

Here's the Suzie's Quinoa non-dairy beverage I've been getting:

Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:46 am

I forgot to add ~ in the past I've tried to make my own rice milk by blending brown rice and using a cheese cloth. Not much flavor and I don't mind the extra expense for plant milk I actually like that is more convenient and less of a mess to obtain. :lol:

The banana milk doesn't work for me - I think it'd be too sweet and anyways I don't think my blender is fast enough. I do use the blender to make banana "milk" that I use when I make vegan french toast. Very yummy for that.
Caroveggie

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:03 pm

I recently learned that Denmark actually regulated all fortified foods including vegan fake milks, marmite, vegemite, etc. and many common processed foods got banned in Denmark for having too much artificial vitamins.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/world ... .html?_r=0
colonyofcells

Return to The Lounge