PETA and McDougall - more mutual cooperation needed?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

PETA and McDougall - more mutual cooperation needed?

Postby barryoilbegone » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Lately, I've wondered whether more time and effort needs to be made actually by the likes of us to informing vegetarian and vegan organisations around the globe, like PETA, Vegan Outreach and the Vegan Society. There are some great posts here lately about social conditioning. For much of the public, these types of organisations are the public face of vegetarian living. This means they are forms of cultural conditioning about mass vegetarian ideas and thinking. Bit problematic though is that most are fine to promote meat analogs and substitutes, and oils, that do damage to our health. Their agendas are usually much more about relieving animal suffering, and not the most health promoting diet. Yikes!

Important that the animal suffering agenda might be, it's not really what the public want to hear. There's definitely something more appealing for the public en mass I feel about focusing on human needs and health, as that's where public interest lies most. Imagine if PETA's resources were channelled into McDougall style eating. They'd win probably more reductions in animal suffering if a % of people change to vegetarian McDougall through health concerns, than through any other campaign they've ever had to date.

Maybe this is nothing new, but very interested if any fellow McDougallers support PETA, Vegan Outreach etc. or have views about it.

Barry :)
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Re: PETA and McDougall - more mutual cooperation needed?

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:36 pm

My guess is the animal rights groups are maybe afraid of losing members if they promote healthy eating which is often viewed as hard to follow.
colonyofcells

Postby deeceedoc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Maybe this is nothing new, but very interested if any fellow McDougallers support PETA, Vegan Outreach etc. or have views about it.

Personally, I have absolutely nothing in common with the likes of PETA or any other similar interests. For myself, switching to a plant based lifestyle is all about personal health, rather than some type of social agenda. Obviously, those concerned with animal rights or environmental concerns could see this lifestyle as beneficial to their agendas, but I think it would do more harm than good to project those aspects of the lifestyle to the broader populations.

...if my neighbors want to eat meat and dairy products, so be it. If they are sick and tired of being sick and tired, I'll be happy to explain that there are other alternatives available to them. Ultimately, it's their choice, just as it is mine or yours.

-Dave
deeceedoc

Postby f1jim » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:19 am

I do like the idea that if you come to Dr. McDougalls way of eating primarily for animal rights you get the health benefits as a bonus.
I do like the idea that if you come to Dr. McDougalls way of eating primarily for health you get the benefit of sparing animal lives.

What brings people to this way of eating is usually not a combination for those goals but invariably people come primarily for ONE of the reasons and as time goes by they begin to see the other reason as a positive, too.

I think if we focus too much on one or the other we will alienate people. By stressing both benefits we will win converts from both camps.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:41 am

Kindness creates happiness. Two always goes back to One. I feel we moving to that direction. I had the gift of going to see The Good Dinosaur with my grandchildren. When my son picked us up after the movie I shared I was surprised the movie was so violent. In the movie the creatures that weren't vegan reflected the violence within nature.. storms etc. In the beginning of the film the dinosaurs survived because the meteor missed the earth:) And I shared dinosaurs were vegan (as were the ones in the film), he scoffed at me:) It was sort of a what if?, as it appeared the main character/dinosaur behavior was mentoring the character human child to be vegan:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Golden Ghost » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Here in Michigan the PETA people would show up at lakes and woods and harass people. It was real nice taking your kids fishing and having them call your kids murders. It got so bad Michigan passed a hunting and fishing anti harassment law making it illegal to do so, and it works quite well. I want nothing to do with that ilk.
Golden Ghost

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:53 pm

The ethical beliefs of vegans are obviously not shared by the mainstream which might explain why many of the vegan doctors avoid the vegan label.
colonyofcells

Return to The Lounge