Need Some Reassurance that WFPB is Growing?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need Some Reassurance that WFPB is Growing?

Postby TerriNC » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 am

The last couple of weeks have been amazingly exciting for me! I posted about my experience being invited to our local high school to speak with a class of students about plant-based nutrition. Then, last Friday and Saturday things just went off the charts!

There is a growing program called CHIP (Complete Health Intervention Program) that I became aware of last year. It is a plant-based nutrition program that a number of cardiologists and other doctors around the country are getting involved with. I attended a plant-based conference last year where I was first introduced to the program. It is very similar to Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's Food for Life, but it includes tracking patients with blood work and other medical tests. After doing a little research, I found that the basic CHIP program does not have a cooking instruction element, though it does have a support group setting.

Last week, I decided to reach out to two medical practices in Asheville, NC (only 1 hour from me) that I read online are involved and having great success with the CHIP program. One practice is the largest cardiology center in Western NC and the other is an OBGYN practice. I introduced myself as a licensed Food for Life instructor with Physicians Committee and told them I was very interested in the CHIP program and how we might be able to partner to offer the cooking instruction element to their program.

Unbelievably, I received responses from both practices within hours! They are very interested in doing this. The OBGYN se- up an appointment with me right away. I'll be meeting with them Friday of next week. The email I received from the cardiologists center was from the lead cardiologist involved with their CHIP program and said, "I think that there is CLEARLY a role for you as we move forward here with CHIP!...Brian (I prefer that to Dr Asbill and will promise not to call you Mrs Edwards)." Here's a short 3-minute video of him explaining the success with their CHIP program https://vimeo.com/119987228. His email also said that the Ornish program is coming to their hospital in early 2016!!

I am already scheduled to teach a 4-week series of Food for Life classes at Gibbs Cancer and Research Institute in SC beginning January 12th http://gibbscancercenter.org/spartanburg/ which will be completely paid for by their donor grant money!
The medical community around me seems to be coming around to the power of food to heal the body, and I am beyond excited to be able to play a part in it! I have turned in my notice at the office I have worked for the last nearly 8 years as Office Manager, and will be leaving at the end of January to pursue my new career in plant-based nutrition with the local NC and SC medical community.

Be encouraged my friends! Things are changing for plant-based nutrition!
TerriNC

Re: Need Some Reassurance that WFPB is Growing?

Postby Jeepsterhound » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 am

Congratulations, Terri! Wonderful things are happening here in the land of biscuits and gravy and you are a big part of it. I am so glad to be nearby. The showing of Plant Pure Nation in Asheville was packed a couple weeks ago and Nelson and Kim Campbell were there to answer questions. Their daughters are students at UNCA, studying with Dr. Amy Lanou, who worked with Dr. Campbell at Cornell. It looks like there is much interest in the Western NC pod that was started. Things sure have changed since the early 90's when I felt like I was the only WFPB vegan in a 50 mile radius.
Jeepsterhound

Postby figlover » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

"the power of food to heal the body"

I have a criticism purely of semantics. Food does not possess 'power' to do anything except by way of facilitation. I see this misnomer in peoples' writing and thinking about substances which are ascribed as powerful or energizing. The bodys' nervous system is the arbiter of energy use and healing thereof.

Even the use stimulants is mistaken as an action provided by the substance and not how the body is reacting to it. (i.e. caffeine provides energy or stimulation when actually the defensive mechanisms of the body are acting on a toxic substance and wants to vigorously expel it, hence, nervous stimulation or excitement)

I think its great hearing people getting more into the power of food to help facilitate healing. :)
Good luck with your continued work.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 am

That's great to hear and congratulations on your career change! It must be so rewarding to know you will be making such a big difference in people's lives. :)
Caroveggie

Postby bbq » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:46 am

Mission accomplished and congratulations! It's totally next level and you're doing great:

bbq

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 am

This is great news. I get depressed seeing how much traction paleo gets, but I realized that is in my narrow world of athletics, and the popular media. This is much more important because it's happening at the institutional level of health care. Finally, people will be given information they can really run with, if they choose to. It's kinda like when doctors finally realized the dangers of smoking. Nobody expects a doctor to say anything other than "QUIT!" Now, the power of diet is being addressed with authority.

Now it's up to the patient.
Last edited by vgpedlr on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgpedlr

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 am

so outstanding to read updates like this!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Vegankit » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:20 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby hazelrah » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Congratulations, Terri. Nobody deserves it more. Hans Diehl and the CHIP program are a great adjunct to what you've done so far.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby TerriNC » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:20 am

I will definitely keep you all posted as things unfold. I meet with the OBGYN next Friday. She said she has a demo kitchen in her facility. I can't even begin to imagine what that will look like in physician's office. I never in my life heard of a MD having a demo kitchen available. THAT is definitely a sign that times are changing!

Jeepsterhound, I wanted so much to attend the PlantPure Nation screening in Asheville but was teaching a class that evening. My sister and students from one of my previous classes attended and came back with terrific reports. They said at one point, one of the cardiologists speaking asked anyone in the theater who has been part of their CHIP program to stand up, and they were shocked because 3/4 of the people stood. That's amazing! Sounds like I'll be spending a lot of time in your neck-of-the-woods in 2016! Maybe we can meet up for lunch or something then? Would love to see and talk with you again!
TerriNC

Postby jamietwo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:05 pm

That is so awesome, Terri! You are doing such a great job of spreading the word! Congratulations on growing your business to the point that you can do it full-time! Very impressive!! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to The Lounge