Wheat linked to weight Gain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wheat linked to weight Gain

Postby Desir9 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:36 am

So I'm currently reading "The China Study" and while searching on the internet I found this article:

good link: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/12/15/new-ch ... eight-gai/
Edit: Sorry put the wrong link

what do you think about it?

to me.. something clicked, when I eat breads and white pastas I tend to feel bloated.... this does not happen when I eat oats, rice or potatoes even when I eat LARGE quantities of them.. About three months ago I started losing my fear of gluten, I used to avoid it as much as possible thinking I was gluten intolerant but then my doctor told me I wasn't so I went back to eating regular bread and pastas...

Now I think I will treat wheat as oil, I will go back to avoiding breads and wheat pastas (well.. I'll start as soon as I finish eating all the regular pasta left in my pantry..)..

How do you guys feel about wheat? do you eat gluten free or you don't pay attention to that? if so do you still manage to lose/maintain weight???

PS: I'm from Spain so excuse my grammar

:)
Last edited by Desir9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Re: Wheat linked to weight Gain

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:45 am

Is it wheat that is a problem, or is it refined flour? Wheat is normally consumed as a refined flour, and grinding grain into a fine powder does change it's properties. Have you ever had simply cooked wheat berries? You could try those and see if you react the same way.

For me, like most people, wheat is a non-issue. But like many, I don't do as we'll with refined flour.
vgpedlr

Postby Dougalling » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am

Hi,

I avoided glutens for a year and I felt much better. Then I re-introduced them in small quantities and was able to handle that. I am starting to think that it is more about GMOs than it is about glutens. In the past few years, I cannot eat oranges or drink orange juice anymore as it gives me disentary. I can eat organic oranges and drink organic orange juice with no problem. So, is it the glutens in wheat/grains or is it a GMO effect?
Dougalling

Postby Desir9 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:50 am

vgpedlr wrote:Is it wheat that is a problem, or is it refined flour? Wheat is normally consumed as a refined flour, and grinding grain into a fine powder does change it's properties. Have you ever had simply cooked wheat berries? You could try those and see if you react the same way.

For me, like most people, wheat is a non-issue. But like many, I don't do as we'll with refined flour.

The article does not specify how processed the wheat was.. But reading about wheat and gluten I found an article talking about how the wheat we consume today (as breads, cakes and so) is not the same as the one consumed by our ancestor and that it contains much more gluten because of how highly processed it is (talking about flours)..
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby Desir9 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 am

Dougalling wrote:Hi,

I avoided glutens for a year and I felt much better. Then I re-introduced them in small quantities and was able to handle that. I am starting to think that it is more about GMOs than it is about glutens. In the past few years, I cannot eat oranges or drink orange juice anymore as it gives me disentary. I can eat organic oranges and drink organic orange juice with no problem. So, is it the glutens in wheat/grains or is it a GMO effect?

You should read this article

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/g ... eight-gain

And I do think Is both things actually, highly processed breads and pastas is what regular (including me) people eat on a daily basis..

I was feeling bloated for the past few weeks, So I will cut out all wheat to see how I feel
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:32 am

Desir9 wrote:The article does not specify how processed the wheat was.

Do you think they were consuming wheat as unprocessed wheat berries, or refined white flour?
because of how highly processed it is (talking about flours)..

So eliminate flour. That's a basic part of the MWL plan, which works very well for most people. But it does not mean wheat is bad.

Travis has some discussion, as does Don Matesz here:
http://healthylongevity.blogspot.com

Dr. McDougall's take:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jan/smoke.htm
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2013nl/mar/gluten.htm

Always good to browse what Jeff has collected:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7828
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37233

Since this is a starch based diet, not a wheat based diet, there is no need for anyone to consume wheat if they prefer not to. There are plenty of starches to choose from. But generalizing wheat as bad is incorrect, despite what the popular press says.
vgpedlr

Postby Desir9 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:38 am

vgpedlr wrote:
Since this is a starch based diet, not a wheat based diet, there is no need for anyone to consume wheat if they prefer not to. There are plenty of starches to choose from. But generalizing wheat as bad is incorrect, despite what the popular press says.

THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the links!!!!

I'm going to cut on the highly processed flours just like an experiment but i'll continue eating my organic pastas and breads (occasionally)

Thank you again!
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51 pm

All excess food probably lead to weight gain and I am not aware of anything in wheat that is particularly better at causing people to gain weight. Processed food and refined substances like oil are probably more dangerous and cause people to eat more.
colonyofcells

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Who wrote that? Denise Minger? Deposit it in the trash and continue to eat whole wheat bread, pasta, etc. One of the greatest threats to your health is reading and believing reductionist nonsense written by ditsy bloggers.

Edit: the more we link to these articles the more we promote them.
dailycarbs

Postby Katydid » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:52 pm

I agree that processing is the issue, whether the pasta is wheat-based or gluten-free is less important than the overall calorie density. Check out Jeff's Calorie Density chart here:

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Photo2_fil ... 0Chart.jpg

Do you see that processed carbohydrates are at 1400 calories a pound and unprocessed at 500? This is the key to avoiding weight gain. Eat grains in their whole form.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Jumpstart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:09 pm

This is The Starch Solution and as explained by Dr. McDougall the type of starch consumed by populations depended on geography. We have potatoes for parts of South America, corn for Mexico and the United States, rice for the Asia AND wheat for Europe. Wheat was eaten as whole grain flour made into a variety of baked goods with bread being the most dominant (staff of life and all that). There is nothing wrong with wheat as flour as your main starch. People simple need to be aware of food density issues if they are overweight and if they are sensitive. Otherwise enjoy. I couldn't live without pastas, breads and my favorite which is potatoes. I've never had a weight problem so calorie density means nothing for me. Grind any seed grain and you increase calorie density. Whole wheat flour is about 400 calories per cup, but so is corn when ground as flour to make tortillas.
Jumpstart

Postby baardmk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 am

That wheat makes you bloated is totally believable. Wheat is high in FODMAP, and I've found that whole wheat berries is particularly bad, and that I tolerate flours much better. I'm thinking that whole-wheat flour in a sourdough bread a whole-wheat vegetarian pasta dish etc. would be extremely healthy for most of us.

I agree that (too much) refined foods are bad and should be avoided.
baardmk

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Today, I am eating my usual sprouted wheat bread (unfermented). 1 package is about 1,000 calories. I eat 1 package a day. The date pieces are coated with a small amount of oat flour.
http://www.mannaorganicbakery.com/ver.p ... lSrpZVdG70
Last edited by colonyofcells on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colonyofcells

Postby Crider » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 pm

I usually make a small sourdough flatbread every day from 100% stoneground whole wheat. I 'bake' it on the stovetop. Hot wheat bread wonderful!
Crider

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Lots of people promote steaming so can also try steamed breads.
colonyofcells

Next

Return to The Lounge