Wheat linked to weight Gain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Wheat linked to weight Gain

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Crider wrote:I usually make a small sourdough flatbread every day from 100% stoneground whole wheat. I 'bake' it on the stovetop. Hot wheat bread wonderful!

Recipe?
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Katydid wrote:I agree that processing is the issue, whether the pasta is wheat-based or gluten-free is less important than the overall calorie density. Check out Jeff's Calorie Density chart here:

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Photo2_fil ... 0Chart.jpg

Do you see that processed carbohydrates are at 1400 calories a pound and unprocessed at 500? This is the key to avoiding weight gain. Eat grains in their whole form.

Kate

The chart lists ProcCC does that mean Processed Complex Carbohydrate?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Spiral » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
Crider wrote:I usually make a small sourdough flatbread every day from 100% stoneground whole wheat. I 'bake' it on the stovetop. Hot wheat bread wonderful!

Recipe?

No kidding. Sounds too good to be true.
Spiral

Postby Lynn M » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm

I have had an on off relationship with wheat for years.
Over those years I have made a few discoveries that may be true for others as well
For me, the quality of the wheat seems to be the biggest predictor of issues.
If I stick with wheat/wheat products that have been identified as being non-GMO and/or organic, I have few issues
If I consume (on very rare occasions) what I call "cheap" wheat, I itch, bloat and just don't feel well.
It also seems that if the wheat has been at least a little fermented, it is more digestible for me.
For example, when I make bread and pizza, I make the dough the night before and then let it rest and ferment in the ice box overnight.
Lynn M

Postby nbomb » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 am

Spiral wrote:
vgpedlr wrote:

Recipe?

No kidding. Sounds too good to be true.

i think he/she is talking about flatbread, like Indian roti or Mexican tortillia, which is actually really easy to make. I eat this almost every other day. Indian food is amazing. You can make rotis without oil/ghee.

You can pretty well use any whole grain flour but wheat works best. However i've even used quinoa, amaranth and millet successfully before.

Here is a video if you don't know how to make roti without oil. Although these are more like tortillas as she doesn't cook the roti in a traditional way (allowing the roti to fluff out like a hot air balloon lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saJSAEWCOgI

Here is one that shows more traditional style roti:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVjUTv7lQQ (*Note: you can use warm water or almond milk instead of cow milk . Oil is NOT needed)
nbomb

Postby Crider » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:13 pm

I'll attempt to write the recipe! It is a sourdough based on the old dough method of sourdough production. It makes a very thick pita-like flatbread with a diameter of about 8" or 22cm. The dough is somewhat less moist than pizza dough, but otherwise is very similar to pizza dough.

1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
3 oz+ water (I look for exactly between the 1/3 cup line and the 1/2 cup line
25 grams, approx. of your old dough
salt, if desired (I don't use salt)

Add the old dough to the water and work with your hand until it is somewhat dissolved. Then add this liquid to the flour and mix with your hand(s). Let rest for 5 minutes or so.

Then knead for a short time to develop the dough. Save a 25 gram piece (about a heaping tablespoon's worth) of this dough, which represents about 10% of your dough by weight, and put it in a sealed container such as a jar for tomorrow's bread, and set aside. That's your old dough!

Work the bread dough into a ball, place in a bowl and cover the bowl with a plastic bag. Let rise until dough has risen 1 1/2 times its original size. No need to have it double. It may take between 3 1/2 and 5 hours to rise depending on the temperature of the environment. If it rises and you aren't ready for baking, then put it in the refrigerator where it can be used for up to 6 more days.

To make your flatbread, take the dough out of the bowl and place it on a well-floured (lots of whole wheat) workbench. Shape it into this 8" flatbread by pressing down with your fingertips. flip the dough over and press it from both sides. I'll direct you to look at Tony Gemignani's pizza pushing down method in this Youtube video to illustrate, stop at where he starts beading the dough:
https://youtu.be/SjYqw1CLZsA?t=59s

No need to use a roller, though I'm sure that would work as well. Heat up the pan on medium high. When it is good and hot, transfer the dough to the pan. Getting the pan hot is the key to a good bake here.
Cook the first side for just 30 seconds
Cook the second side for 2 minutes
Flip it back onto the first side and cook that for about 1 1/2 minutes. This step is where the bread will balloon up.

When I eat this bread, I just tear off pieces. It's delicious.

If you don't have any sourdough, you can make some by starting with regular bread yeast the first time. Mix about 1 teaspoon of bread yeast into the water. After making the bread dough, save 25 grams of it for your old dough. This bread will rise quicker than sourdough, maybe take as little as 1 1/2 hours to rise. After about two weeks of daily bread making, the dough will develop sourness and the yeast's rising speed will slow down as wild yeasts take over from the commercial bread yeast.

If you're not going to use your old dough, let it sit out for a day, then just put the jar into the refrigerator to preserve.
Crider

Postby Desir9 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 am

Crider wrote:I'll attempt to write the recipe! It is a sourdough based on the old dough method of sourdough production. It makes a very thick pita-like flatbread with a diameter of about 8" or 22cm. The dough is somewhat less moist than pizza dough, but otherwise is very similar to pizza dough.

AMAZING!!

thank you I'm so trying this!
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby Spiral » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Norm wrote:Wheat linked to weight gain, eh? Color me skeptical. This is a picture of me the day I got my Grain Mill.

How much does a decent Grain Mill cost? Is there a specific brand you would recommend?
Spiral

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Spiral wrote:
Norm wrote:Wheat linked to weight gain, eh? Color me skeptical. This is a picture of me the day I got my Grain Mill.

How much does a decent Grain Mill cost? Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

I don't have a grain mill and so I can't recommend one personally, but the photo Norm posted got me curious so I tried google images for a match in design/quality and this is what I came up with.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-45-diamant-gr ... x?show=all
dailycarbs

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:19 pm

$1,000 can buy lots of wheat that I can just boil instead of grind. I heard that if you sprout the wheat, it can be easily mashed and grinding won't be necessary. Costco no longer sells farro (emmer wheat) so I have not boiled wheat in a while.
colonyofcells

Postby Chile » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:33 pm

If you want to manually grind wheat without wearing out your arms, it is not terribly difficult to convert a grain grinder (such as the Country Living Mill) to pedal power. Been there, done that. It was fun and the more powerful muscles of the legs last longer than ones in the arms.

Chile

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:04 am

After looking at some mills I immediately went over to YouTube to see how people use them and a bunch of hacks came up--including some on how to convert from manual to electric power using a drill.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWevrbJMcA

There was also a bicycle powered conversion and a bunch of other interesting ones. It's a simple device so one can get creative.

BTW, the corona mill seems like a vey popular cheap model.
http://goo.gl/aT0CXc
dailycarbs

Postby Crider » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:06 pm

dailycarbs wrote:BTW, the corona mill seems like a vey popular cheap model.
http://goo.gl/aT0CXc

The Corona mill isn't suitable for making flour from grain, but it is for things such as tortillas. I wrote an article many years ago about my Corona.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/18963/ ... -tortillas
Crider

Previous

Return to The Lounge