When it comes to rice, black is the new white

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

When it comes to rice, black is the new white

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:54 pm

How 'Forbidden' Black Rice Flourished For Millennia : The Salt : NPR
http://goo.gl/pdC97l
dailycarbs

Re: When it comes to rice, black is the new white

Postby hazelrah » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:33 pm

These folks are on to something: The color of black rice is the result of plant pigments called anthocyanins, which research has linked to a number of positive health effects: from anti-inflammatory properties to healthier arteries and better insulin regulation.

I thought all rice leads to healthier arteries and better insulin regulation.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:46 pm

hazelrah wrote:
These folks are on to something: The color of black rice is the result of plant pigments called anthocyanins, which research has linked to a number of positive health effects: from anti-inflammatory properties to healthier arteries and better insulin regulation.

I thought all rice leads to healthier arteries and better insulin regulation.

Mark

I'm not seeing this as a science article, just something fun to read about starch "in the news."
dailycarbs

Postby hazelrah » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:59 pm

dailycarbs wrote:
I'm not seeing this as a science article, just something fun to read about starch "in the news."

Yeah, I'm just teasing. We really like the black rice at a restaurant we use for special events. And we bought some forbidden rice at the HFS, but not sure if we have to do something special. It doesn't taste quite as good at home, but I don't think there is anything in the restaurant serving. It's just a different rice than the restaurant uses.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
hazelrah

Postby MINNIE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:38 pm

I cooked some in my rice cooker. I just used the brown rice setting and it worked. The pigment in black rice colors the water and could transfer to whatever is cooked with the rice. But it didn't affect the taste.

I bought it at local co-op,which is expensive. But now I see it at the big box stores too. I want interpret that as a trend toward more people eating whole grains. Maybe if you call something "forbidden", people are more likely to try it?
As in " I forbid you to eat unprocessed starches,fruits and vegetables":).

Hmmm...I wonder what would happen??
MINNIE

Postby hazelrah » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 pm

MINNIE wrote: people are more likely to try it?
As in " I forbid you to eat unprocessed starches,fruits and vegetables":).

Is that what brought you here?

Mark
hazelrah

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 pm

I seem to remember Dr Greger prefers black rice, wild rice, red rice over brown rice.
colonyofcells

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Lundberg has some black rices and some mixes with wild rice. I like all of them but they're pricey. I generally buy a large bag of brown rice and mix in whatever Lundberg black or wild rice I can find on sale to spice things up. The Lundberg rices are quite tasty, I must say.
dailycarbs

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:41 pm

I also like red yeast rice from the asian grocery but it is harder to find. Red yeast rice can be used to color food. Asian grocery also sells a red sauce made from red yeast rice.
colonyofcells

Postby dteresa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Yes, the lundberg rice is very pricey. They have some really unusual rices. I just had some Wehani rice. It is a brown rice. I mean really brown. Unlike regular brown rice which turns very light after cooking. The rice has a wheaty smell and my whole apartment smelled like burned bread after I cooked it. It tasted fine though.

My favorite rice is trader joe's indian basmati brown rice. I know jeff buys those boil in the bag rices but I wonder if this rice still has the nutrients after they are done processing it. I meant to write and ask jeff. According to the label, they punch holes in it then steam it (or par boil it, I can't remember which) then they put it into some kind of mill and tumble it about. It cooks in no time. It only takes me about 14 minutes in my microwave plastic rice cooker. (Burned it the first time because my microwave has a high wattage and the rice cooker instructions say to lower the power to 7 when cooking rice in a higher wattage oven)

I don't care much for the consistency of pilaf and prefer a softer rice and this is soft without being mushy.

didi
dteresa

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:26 am

dteresa wrote: I know jeff buys those boil in the bag rices but I wonder if this rice still has the nutrients after they are done processing it.

Don't overthink it.

REALLY.

DON"T OVERTHINK IT!

You are not missing nutrients. Black, red, brown, even white rice are all fine starches. The nutrient density comes from the veggies. More is not better.

Just follow the program.

DO NOT OVERTHINK IT
vgpedlr

Postby Spiral » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:02 am

vgpedlr wrote:Just follow the program.

DO NOT OVERTHINK IT

I'll give that suggestion of yours some serious thought. :?

Let's see. What's for dinner tonight?

Should it be brown rice, red rice, black rice?

Long grain, medium grain? Short grain?

Cooked Jeff Novick's pasta style or in the rice cooker?
Spiral

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:22 am

Spiral wrote:
Should it be brown rice, red rice, black rice?

Long grain, medium grain? Short grain?

Cooked Jeff Novick's pasta style or in the rice cooker?

YES to all of the above.

I do like both black and red rice. They're often pretty expensive, so I mix them with regular rice.
vgpedlr

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:45 am

I soak my brown rice overnight instead of buying the more expensive germinated brown rice (sprouted brown rice). I just boil brown rice together with the soaked beans and add spices and herbs all in 1 pot.
colonyofcells

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:23 pm

colonyofcells wrote:I soak my brown rice overnight instead of buying the more expensive germinated brown rice (sprouted brown rice). I just boil brown rice together with the soaked beans and add spices and herbs all in 1 pot.
To sprout it does need warm water the entire time
This from a how-to
Soak brown rice in water at about 85-105 degrees F (30-40 C) for 20 hours.
Change the water a few times during the process.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to The Lounge