Potatoes and acne.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potatoes and acne.

Postby Sibel » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:12 pm

I know it's ridiculous, but I've stumbled upon these claims on an acne website (in which they claim acne can be cause only if you become insulin resistant):

"It’s highly unlikely that potatoes will make you insulin resistant. It could only happen if…

1. You eat a high carbohydrate diet already. If you already eat tons of bread, pasta, rice, and other carbohydrate rich foods then your energy stores will be very full and you’ll be heading for insulin resistance already. Eating potatoes will add to that problem.
2. You barely get any exercise. The simply rule with carbs is to consume as many as you can expend through exercise. If your exercise only includes walking around the house and getting into the car, then even potatoes contain too many carbohydrates.
3. You eat tons of them. If you ate two pounds of potatoes every day then you would probably become insulin resistant, if your level of activity was normal."

What do you think? My husband and I are in a strict Starch-based diet (no processed food, no oil whatsoever, etc) but lately my husband's been having a bit of oily skin and one or two pimple on his forehead. We eat tons of potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, beans, quinoa...
Sibel

Re: Potatoes and acne.

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 pm

If I have 2 pimples, I just scratch them out or squeeze them out and forget about them.
colonyofcells

Postby petero » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Sibel wrote:a bit of oily skin and one or two pimple

Maybe the diet simply isn't a panacea, and you can still get a minor skin problem? :) That "source" also begs the question of some relationship between acne and insulin resistance, which sounds just as bogus as the potato problem.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:13 pm

hygiene & moisturizer. clean your hubby's phone, keyboard & change pillowcase nightly & cover pillow in an encasement. use baby shampoo to wash face & moisturize with oil-free dimethicone based moisturizer like Aveeno twice a day. I promise no more acne
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby baardmk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 am

You eat no nuts, soybeans, added oil products, I presume? My bets would be it's a variety of factors including some type of "allergic"/intolerance reaction at play.

If it really was that easy, I'm pretty sure the conventional mainstream scientists would have figured it out and told us.

But, maybe it could be a component. So do an experiment. Try cutting out the potatoes but still eat high-glycemic foods instead, things like bread, white rice, pancakes and stuff like that. Then it's not something partciular thing about potatoes, like an allergic reaction or something, if it persists. Then try a low-glycemic diet - more beans, no flour products. See if that changes it. Ideally you'd want to eat just as many calories on all regiments, but this could be difficult, I imagine.

Or maybe could try this for a lower glycemic response. From my own observations and what I've read you have higher glycemic sensitivity in the morning than in the evening. Also maybe important to have a proper overnight fast before break|fast(12 hr or more, ideally). So, supper at the latest 9PM, and a light supper, with not too many calories. This is not to say that I necessarily follow this - I find it much more easy to skip breakfast than that evening meal.
baardmk

Return to The Lounge