Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker

Postby Ron 43 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm thinking about buying one of these Instant Pot pressure cookers, but I see several complaints on Amazon due to faulty liners. Does anyone here have any bad issues with one of these pressure cookers?

I have a regular stove top pressure cook that works great, but I can't leave alone. I have to watch the pressure all the time. The Instant Pot is automatic and I could set it and not have to watch it.

I would appreciate in info you could give me about your experiences. Also any cook book suggestions to use with it.

Thanks much,
Ron
Ron 43

Re: Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Love mine. One of my best purchases ever. I use the cook book Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, which is vegan (just leave out the oil). Some people on Amazon have complained that it doesn't have instructions specifically for automatic pressure cookers, but you just have to set the time for the ingredient that takes the longest to cook.
BlueHeron

Postby Ron 43 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:25 pm

BlueHeron wrote:Love mine. One of my best purchases ever. I use the cook book Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, which is vegan (just leave out the oil). Some people on Amazon have complained that it doesn't have instructions specifically for automatic pressure cookers, but you just have to set the time for the ingredient that takes the longest to cook.

Thanks BlueHeron
Ron 43

Postby patty » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:46 pm

I have the Cusinart.. Love it. Here Lindsay does a review of pressure cookers. http://happyherbivore.com/2015/01/press ... ot-review/

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby docscience » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:14 pm

I have an emson which I find always works well for me. For me, any brand will work fine, compared to alternatives.

If I was buying a new Electric Pressure Cooker, I would only get one with
a Stainless steel "basin or pot".

The only other thing is to make sure it is not too small a pot. I find it convenient to put in as many potatoes as I can cram into it.
I do not use the bottom rack, as that just takes up more room. The bottom few potatoes can just sit in the "half cup" of water that I put in.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby pundit999 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Don't over think. Just buy it. Best purchase ever for a kitchen appliance for me. It is that good.
No problem with sealing.
pundit999

Postby Ron 43 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 pm

patty wrote:I have the Cusinart.. Love it. Here Lindsay does a review of pressure cookers. http://happyherbivore.com/2015/01/press ... ot-review/

Aloha, patty

Thanks much.
Ron 43

Postby Ron 43 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 pm

pundit999 wrote:Don't over think. Just buy it. Best purchase ever for a kitchen appliance for me. It is that good.
No problem with sealing.

Thank you.
Ron 43

Postby PurplePotato » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 pm

docscience wrote:The only other thing is to make sure it is not too small a pot. I find it convenient to put in as many potatoes as I can cram into it.
I do not use the bottom rack, as that just takes up more room. The bottom few potatoes can just sit in the "half cup" of water that I put in.

pundit999 wrote:Don't over think. Just buy it. Best purchase ever for a kitchen appliance for me. It is that good.
No problem with sealing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I use my instant pot just about every day. When one broke on me after a year of daily use (weird mechanical issue), I decided I'd definitely gotten my money's worth, and immediately bought another.
PurplePotato

Postby working at it » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 pm

The Instant Pot is my favorite kitchen appliance. Even though I have a wonderful pressure cooker for use on the stove top, I rarely use it any more. The Instant Pot is easy,versatile, safe. The liner is stainless steel, and the pot does not require watching.
working at it

Postby Katydid » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:19 am

I make rice, quinoa, steel-cut and whole oat groats, and hominy in my IP. It runs pretty much all day on Saturday and Sunday making staples for the week. I plan to try out the yogurt maker feature this weekend to make my own plain yogurt. I have the stainless insert and it cleans up great. There's a fellow Dr. McDougall sent an email out about recently who calls himself the plant-fueled trucker. He uses an IP in the back oh his truck and post pictures of his recipes on his blog. If you use his code when ordering you can save $60. Just enter bobby123 at checkout.

https://www.facebook.com/plantfueledtrucker

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Quinda » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:02 am

It really has been a life changer for me. On 06/16/2014 I purchased the Instant Pot IP LUX-60 and I use it almost exclusively, especially for large batches. Not one fault has occurred. I have experimented and made my own adjustments for timing and procedures. I am 100% satisfied and would not change a thing. Go for it. Oh, and clean up is a snap -- practically cleans itself if you let it decompress naturally.
Quinda

Postby pundit999 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 am

Another important issue that initially prompted me to buy it: it is a very safe appliance. I have several regular whistle top pressure cookers and all of them have had accidents. Really scary stuff such as super hot contents getting thrown all over the kitchen!

No problem since we bought this gem of an appliance. After bought it and recommended it, almost all of my extended family has bought one.
pundit999

Postby MINNIE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:01 am

I'm an instant pot user and completely happy with mine. I use it daily with no problems Ithink there are other brands of electric cooker that are also good. My experience with instant pot company has all been excellent. When i damaged the base by an operator error, they sold me a new one. It was damaged in shipping and they promptly shipped a new one at no extra cost. They reply to email questions quickly too. If you have questions before you buy, I suggest contacting them directly. Their website has lots more information that may help you decide.
MINNIE

Postby sjsilver » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:35 pm

I recently bought the IP-DUO60. I love it and use it almost every day. I never thought that I would use the yogurt function of it, but decided to give it a try using soy milk. My family loves the yogurt, even the grandkids. I hear people say that they won't buy one because they are afraid of pressure cookers. This unit has safety features built in so it is so nice to use. I kept hinting to my husband that he could buy me one for Christmas. He must have got tired of me talking about it so he told me to go ahead and order one. :D
sjsilver

Next

Return to The Lounge