19 Obese Hawaiians Lose an Average of 17 Pounds in 21 Days

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

19 Obese Hawaiians Lose an Average of 17 Pounds in 21 Days

Postby DWu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:18 am

Hi everyone,

Some of you may be familiar with Dr. Shintani’s work. But if you’re not, I summarized the results of an intervention that he did many years ago in which 19 obese Hawaiians lost an average of 17 pounds in 21 days.

Read about how they did it here:

http://plantfueledlife.com/hawaiian-weight-loss/
DWu

Re: 19 Obese Hawaiians Lose an Average of 17 Pounds in 21 Da

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Dr McDougall was in Hawaii for many years. When Dr McDougall had to leave Hawaii, he passed on his medical practice in Hawaii to Dr Terry Shintani. The traditional starches in Hawaii are poi (fermented taro), sweet potato (ipomoea batatas), breadfruit and uhi purple yam (dioscorea alata).
colonyofcells

Postby MINNIE » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for posting that. I recently read Dr. Shintani's books. They agree in general with what the other plant_based doctors have taught us. He does differ in that he allowed three versions of diet for those who aren't ready or willing to be completely plant based. I really recommend his books to anyone who find them. He is a very interesting person and his insight into hawaaian culture are valuable.
MINNIE

Postby DWu » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 pm

You’re right Minnie.

The three plans in The Good Carbohydrate Revolution, which progress to a more whole plant food diet, are The Easy Carbohydrate Repair, The Three-Week Carbohydrate Cure, and The Good Carbohydrate Plan.
DWu

Return to The Lounge