The Martian movie: Matt Damon survives on potatoes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Martian movie: Matt Damon survives on potatoes

Postby Gershon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:45 pm

I heard they announced the sequel to "The Martian" today. It's called, "Stuck in Uranus." I'm didn't see what they will be growing.
Gershon

Postby vman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:20 pm

The book is quite good, a good deal better than the movie in my opinion. The whole potato thing is fascinating in the book, but the author does have Watney take vitamins to round out the nutrition he gets from potatoes. No olive oil in the book, and he only resorts to eating them frozen after a certain incident flash freezes his entire crop.
vman

Postby calvin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:13 pm

I don't under stand

https://xkcd.com/1585/

the reference to a well-known brand but maybe one of you savvy people can explain it to me.

I watched the Martian on putlocker. Looked like some set builders, model makers, animators, and special effects folks got some work. If he added oil to the potatoes in the movie, I missed it.
calvin

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:13 am

Shades of P.T. Barnum re: 'underestimating the intelligence of the general public':
Apparently, quite a few 'Martian' moviegoers believe it to be a 'true story'. Reminds me of when Cher once admitted believing Mount Rushmore to be a natural rock formation!
dynodan62

Postby BlueHeron » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:49 pm

calvin wrote:I don't under stand

https://xkcd.com/1585/

the reference to a well-known brand but maybe one of you savvy people can explain it to me.

I watched the Martian on putlocker. Looked like some set builders, model makers, animators, and special effects folks got some work. If he added oil to the potatoes in the movie, I missed it.

In the case of Fifty Shades of Grey, the "well-known brand" is the Twilight series. FSoG started out as fan fiction using those books. I wasn't sure how that applied to the Martian, but there is apparently a website devoted to explaining xkcd comics. They don't seem sure either, but they have some ideas: http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.p ... milarities
BlueHeron

Previous

Return to The Lounge