Beware of antioxidant "superfoods"?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beware of antioxidant "superfoods"?

Postby human vegetable » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Several days ago, I have already posted this on Jeff's forum, but he hasn't replied yet, probably due to lack of credible scientific evidence for unambiguous advice. Still, I'm really curious what other users make of my worries about "getting too much of a good thing". So, here it comes:
In "The Starch Solution", Dr. McDougall strongly cautions against the use of supplements, because they do not achieve the same benefits as their natural counterparts, and may even be harmful. In the same vein, there is this article about the negative effects of supplemental antioxidant vitamins on sports performance, even in "reasonable" doses (i. e. doses found in OTC vitamin pills): http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272023.php

In another article about this study which I can't find right now, the scientists were interviewed and stated that these findings should not turn people away from antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables - they think that only supplements are harmful.

Still, I wonder whether that also applies to the extremely antioxidant-rich plant extracts and spices that contain much higher doses than any raw, undehydrated plant, e. g. Amla powder or Hibiscus tea, both of which are touted by Dr. Greger for daily consumption.

I know that you discourage any fetishism with micronutrients and so-called "superfoods", but I think even without consciously aiming for it somebody on this WOE might be taking in very high amounts of antioxidant phytochemicals if they make liberal use of spices, herbal teas etc.

Is this something to watch out for? Should we only use small amounts of seasoning to make otherwise bland foods sufficiently palatable? I would be really grateful for your take on this.
human vegetable

Re: Beware of antioxidant "superfoods"?

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:02 pm

The usual amounts used in the traditional diets is probably safe : turmeric, cinnamon, amla, triphala, etc. Traditional preparations are also probably safer. Boiling slices of reishi mushroom for tea is probably safer than consuming reishi mushroom powder. Whole frozen amla and pickled amla can be found in India grocery. Hibiscus flower is used in mexican cuisine and I throw them into my soups. Candied hibiscus is a common snack.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
colonyofcells

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 pm

I suppose you could overdo it, but I'm not worried. I see herbs, spices, "super foods" used in the traditional way as healthy. Teas, culinary spices, special fruits, etc have a long track record of safety in traditional diets. Taking an "active ingredient" extracting it, concentrating it, and then consuming it in a pharmacological way might cause problems.

So,

I don't see green tea as a problem, but maybe isolating ECGC and theanine could be.

Turmeric isn't a problem, but maybe isolated and concentrated curcumin is.

The dose makes the poison, but no matter how "super" the marketers hype a food, I don't think they can be dangerous used in traditional ways.
vgpedlr

Postby human vegetable » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:42 am

Thanks for these sensible rules of thumb:
If it has been part of any traditional diet, it's probably safe.
If it has been super-concentrated/purified by modern industrial methods, be wary.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me - you made my day!
human vegetable

Return to The Lounge