Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

Postby soul food » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 pm

soul food

Re: Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

Postby petero » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Cool, thanks.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby bbq » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:08 am

Awesome blog post here, many thanks for starting this thread:

http://proteinaholic.com/make-friends-with-disgust/

Harnessing the power of disgust: a randomized trial to reduce high-calorie food appeal through implicit priming
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/102/2/249
bbq

Postby smudgemom » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:45 am

Full disclosure: I don't understand Garth Davis.
Seems like he's speaking out of both sides of his mouth.
Promotes veg/starch, less protein...but doesn't use this knowledge to help his clients. Heck, it even helped him, who was overweight! Why?

IknowIknow...baratric surgery, very popular surgery, pays the bills. I don't deny him from earning a very profitable living, but there's something that which...bugs me. I have a hard time promoting someone that have differing thoughts like this. Am I alone with this?

Can someone explain to me why he still promotes the 'If you’ve struggled with your weight and no amount of dieting and exercise has worked, The Davis Clinic may be for you." type of thinking? Maybe I'm missing something. TIA!
smudgemom

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:08 am

smudgemom wrote:Full disclosure: I don't understand Garth Davis.
Seems like he's speaking out of both sides of his mouth.
Promotes veg/starch, less protein...but doesn't use this knowledge to help his clients. Heck, it even helped him, who was overweight! Why?

IknowIknow...baratric surgery, very popular surgery, pays the bills. I don't deny him from earning a very profitable living, but there's something that which...bugs me. I have a hard time promoting someone that have differing thoughts like this. Am I alone with this?

Can someone explain to me why he still promotes the 'If you’ve struggled with your weight and no amount of dieting and exercise has worked, The Davis Clinic may be for you." type of thinking? Maybe I'm missing something. TIA!

He does promote dietary change to his patients.

I highly recommend listening to Rich Roll's interview with him:
http://www.richroll.com/podcast/our-misplaced-obsession-with-protein-garth-davis-md-on-high-fat-low-carb-diets-bad-science-how-to-separate-nutritional-fact-from-popular-fiction/
Last edited by vgpedlr on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgpedlr

Postby Ern2Win » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:20 am

Full disclosure: I don't understand Garth Davis.

http://proteinaholic.com/

Click on the link above, then click read excerpt....then read....you will then understand him.
Ern2Win

Postby bbq » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:35 am

Start watching his brilliant talk @ 0:51:00 mark and he's dynamite:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/revitalize/video/saturday-morning-session-two

He seemed to know how to plow right through someone's BS as well as good news about bad habits etc.
bbq

Postby smudgemom » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks for the responses.
I've read & listened...but still confused with his message.
Does he not do baratric surgery anymore?
And if he does, he's part of the problem. Once he removes 1/2 a stomach & sews them up, his new patient can not subscribe to the diet he promoted 2 hours earlier.

I have a friend that did this surgery & asked her all sorts of questions. She has to eat foods that are calorie dense. Eating 1 dry potato for lunch will keep her full all day. Eating 400-500 calories a day felt sufficient for her. She had to learn to eat more calories...how? Meat, cheese, dairy, oil. Sure she can stretch her stomach to accommodate the low calorie density foods, but that's not what a baratric surgeon wants.

I would LOVE to have read "Baratric surgeon fixes patients with diet instead of cutting them open!". Or having him say, "I'm called a surgeon, but I haven't done a single surgery since promoting this way of eating". Now THAT would be respect.

BTW: With the video, did you notice the 'Alpha Male Manspread' got wider with Aspery & Davis as time went on? Body language at its finest!
Last edited by smudgemom on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudgemom

Postby arugula » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:20 pm

personally i believe that people are more addicted to animal fat than animal protein.

you don't see people going gaga over those low fat fish.

fish has to be fried or smothered in butter or may to be palatable for most people.
arugula

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:48 pm

People who are addicted to large amounts of animal products often claim it is for the protein altho they are really getting lots of fat.
colonyofcells

Postby arugula » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:50 pm

bbq wrote:Start watching his brilliant talk @ 0:51:00 mark and he's dynamite:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/revitalize/video/saturday-morning-session-two

He seemed to know how to plow right through someone's BS as well as good news about bad habits etc.

personally i do not think that he should contaminate himself by associating with those clowns.
arugula

Postby viv » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:08 pm

smudgemom wrote:Thanks for the responses.
I've read & listened...but still confused with his message.
Does he not do baratric surgery anymore?
And if he does, he's part of the problem. Once he removes 1/2 a stomach & sews them up, his new patient can not subscribe to the diet he promoted 2 hours earlier.

There was a thread in June re Garth Davis that may answer some of your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48486&hilit=dr.+garth+davis
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby smudgemom » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Funny. I posted my same question on that thread referenced. I listened through Rich Roll's podcast...listened intently for the 1st hr & sped thru the 2nd hr. He talks about his experience and his patients up to surgery, but nothing about how his patients eat after....or how he helped his patients avoid surgery with this WOE. Granted this interview was 2013.

Yes, he a good ambassador to the LFWFPB lifestyle since he changed HIS life but I can't help but think 5 years from now, he'll have a different message. He doesn't have enough tread on the tires to have me take him seriously....especially since his work contradicts his personal message. It's much akin to the president of PETA owning a steakhouse...mixed messages. As late as 2007, he wrote a book advocating a low-carb/protein-rich lifestyle.

Yeah, I know he's not lying awake at night worrying he doesn't have my approval (!), but I'll cherry-pick the good stuff from his interviews/books & continue to lay my dietary foundation with a True Gold message from Dr. McDougall.
smudgemom

Postby Jumpstart » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 pm

The first problem I have with his book (I only read what was free on-line) is that he claims that protein is addictive. Once I read nonsense like this there is no reason to read any further. I don't know, nor have I ever heard anyone claim to be addicted to protein. In fact just about everyone has to cover up their meat with sauce, condiments, spices like salt, bread or breading just to make the stuff palatable. Ask anyone who has ever been on Atkins just how addicting protein is? The major reason you eat fewer calories is that you can only handle so much meat before you want to barf.
Jumpstart

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:39 pm

I do agree with Garth Davis that americans are addicted to huge amounts of animal products every day. All of us grew up with animal eating cultures and not many were raised vegans. There also cultures that enjoy eating insects. I grew up in asia and I did grow up eating such things as pig blood, pig intestines, pig ears, chicken feet, etc. Chinese cuisine also has sea cucumber :
http://www.pingminghealth.com/wp-conten ... cumber.jpg
colonyofcells

Next

Return to The Lounge