Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

Postby JacobHeitmann » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:18 am

Jumpstart wrote:The first problem I have with his book (I only read what was free on-line) is that he claims that protein is addictive. Once I read nonsense like this there is no reason to read any further. I don't know, nor have I ever heard anyone claim to be addicted to protein. In fact just about everyone has to cover up their meat with sauce, condiments, spices like salt, bread or breading just to make the stuff palatable. Ask anyone who has ever been on Atkins just how addicting protein is? The major reason you eat fewer calories is that you can only handle so much meat before you want to barf.

Maybe he's referring to protein as the "packages" of meat, dairy etc etc. And I don't know any studies that shows those kinds of foods are addicting but people "can't live without their meats" etc á la Robert Lisle The Food Seduction? And calling it "addicting" is wrong, food will never have the same addiction as heroin but I would call it "stimulating" or something like that.
JacobHeitmann

Postby bbq » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Those comments really are priceless:

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/1034211536599754
From the CDC:

Hospitals are employers and providers of health care; thus, they have a role to play in establishing model environments that encourage healthier eating and physical activity. Hospitals have considerable potential to influence health-promoting behaviors among their employees, patients, visitors, and residents of surrounding communities. The reach of hospitals is substantial. Every year, hospitals across the United States serve more than 6.3 million employees and 481 million outpatients and visitors who may use the cafeterias and vending machines.1–3

It is about time hospitals become examples of healthy lifestyle, not enablers of disease!
bbq

Postby bbq » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am

FYI - new videos were posted on Dr. McDougall's YouTube channel a few days ago:

Dr Garth Davis: Americans have become obsessed with Protein
http://youtu.be/XQCt3IhaUtU

Bariatric Surgeon, Dr Garth Davis, says surgery will not cure obesity.
http://youtu.be/4YkxwC7IjUc
bbq

Postby Skip » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 am

"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Just finished this one. My two Xmas books were this one and Dr. Greger's. I've listened to interviews with him on the Rich Roll podcast and enjoyed them. But I was a little leery of the addiction analogy and the focus on a macronutrient. But I think it worked well. The addiction is psychological, we think we need so much, that it must be animal sourced etc. It's very easy reading. It has enough personal story in it to engage people, and enough science to be clear and convincing. Unlike Greger's omnibus project of getting every reference possible, Davis is much more selective, discussing most of them. His chapter "Research Truth and BS: How to Speak Science" is worth the price of the book alone. It makes it very clear why people are so confused, and discusses how inaccurate conclusions are drawn from research studies, bot by the popular media and sometimes the researchers themselves! It also does a great job explaining the different kinds of studies that are done and their relative merits and weaknesses.

A really good read. I can't imagine someone with even a partially open mind could read this and not be impressed, with plenty to think about. Even my SAD eating dad is intrigued. He's trying to lose weight, working out at the gym, sometimes counting calories with an app, following the trainer's advice, is worried about protein etc. If I could just get him to watch Jeff's DVDs! OTOH, he read The Mad Cowboy years ago, was impressed, but that all faded.
vgpedlr

Postby Spiral » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:22 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Just finished this one. My two Xmas books were this one and Dr. Greger's.

vgpedlr wrote:It's very easy reading. It has enough personal story in it to engage people, and enough science to be clear and convincing. Unlike Greger's omnibus project of getting every reference possible, Davis is much more selective, discussing most of them. His chapter "Research Truth and BS: How to Speak Science" is worth the price of the book alone. It makes it very clear why people are so confused, and discusses how inaccurate conclusions are drawn from research studies, bot by the popular media and sometimes the researchers themselves! It also does a great job explaining the different kinds of studies that are done and their relative merits and weaknesses.

I received an amazon gift card for Christmas. I might have to use part of it to get a copy of this book, since I have read so many great reviews of it here.
Spiral

Postby patty » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:11 pm

I downloaded a kindle edition. I totally identify with being a proteinaholic. I like how he did a chapter on the history of protein, and how our wealth as a country increased, the protein in the diet increased, and so did the degenerative heart disease. I feel it is a great book to gift to protein addicts.

Aloha, patty

I have to add I like how Garth Davis shares how about companies create reduction studies and how the larger picture is missed when it is published in social media. It is like the addicts thinking, the part of the brain, the committee missed it, where in recovery you able to think it through from a Whole perspective.
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Most cultures prize animal products maybe bec it was crucial to our survival in the past. Once people have more money, they all tend to consume more animal products which is also true for India and China so the supply of animals probably will not be able to keep up with the demand for animal products.
colonyofcells

Postby veggielou » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Spiral. I got "Proteinaholic"at ASW last Sept. I find it to be a great book,easy reading and at the same time very informative. You can't go wrong with it. I am starting to retread it.
veggielou

Postby Spiral » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:57 pm

veggielou wrote:Spiral. I got "Proteinaholic"at ASW last Sept. I find it to be a great book,easy reading and at the same time very informative. You can't go wrong with it. I am starting to retread it.

Great. My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow from Amazon. Can't wait to start reading it.
Spiral

Previous

Return to The Lounge