McDougall Webinar

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougall Webinar

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:02 pm

In countries where people die early, they just have kids early too so the cycle goes on and on :
https://corneliafeye.files.wordpress.co ... f-life.jpg
I share Dr McDougall's views on global warming. I worry if the next generation has a future or not. I went out for a short walk today and it is a typical global oven day here in california.
colonyofcells

Postby Debbie » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:09 am

Jim, is he always so physically animated?

I'm halfway through his video and loving it. I wonder how many here though are offended by his words? Lots of offended here lately. :roll:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:14 am

In the webinar, Dr Mcdougall seems to be in his usual offending style.
colonyofcells

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:24 am

Debbie wrote:Jim, is he always so physically animated?

That's the way he was at the ASW.
I'm halfway through his video and loving it. I wonder how many here though are offended by his words? Lots of offended here lately. :roll:

Personally, I don't like his style and delivery. I prefer listening to Esselstyn or Barnard. But I can separate the message from the messager, and McDougall's message is still valid.
Last edited by vgpedlr on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgpedlr

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:28 am

Dr. McDougall is always that way! He has a lot of energy and is very animated. His passion for his beliefs is obvious and welcome! He puts patient/human health before business and profit!
Ltldogg

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 am

It's all perspective. You live through decades of people ignoring.the data and your message and it makes you blunt and confrontational. Remember this as you get older for verification. I wanted and needed these qualities to make it work for me. I do think his intrinsic personality hasn't changed.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:50 am

Dr. McDougall was a young doctor with a heart condition and having to say "No", to a industry that would kill him and make his wife a widow maker, had to have a strong voice. If someone is upset today by how he says it, they are upset at what they think about what he is saying (ultimately their death). Each person is the most important component in the feedback loop of the food industry and medical industry. Think of the atom bomb. Let that resonate with your body on a daily, sometimes moment to moment basis. We have to get out of our own way. Our bodies are the best labs there are. They are our bet allies. They don't lie. Chronic disease is a food borne illness. There is nothing to sell.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby sjsilver » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm

f1jim wrote:It's all perspective. You live through decades of people ignoring.the data and your message and it makes you blunt and confrontational. Remember this as you get older for verification. I wanted and needed these qualities to make it work for me. I do think his intrinsic personality hasn't changed.
f1jim

When I was younger I was more sensitive and was offended by blunt people. I may not have appreciated Dr Mcdougall's personality then. Now I find him hilarious and love the passion he shows for what he believes in. He has said before that he is not out to win a popularity contest. He just wants for people to know the truth. I can appreciate that.
sjsilver

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:10 pm

It is hard to win against corporate advertising. Not many people still remember the pritikin diet and the Starch Solution could be heading the same way. Dr McDougall might need to try more extreme ways of communicating to reach more people.
colonyofcells

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:26 pm

I have recommended to him we could try naked sit-ins but he has not responded to that suggestion yet. I know I have the full support of every member here if need be.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Tampagirl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 am

I watched the webinar as well but have a slightly different takeaway in terms of the consistency of Dr. M's tone and message. Both have evolved quite a bit over the years - his tone has become less calm and measured and much more flamboyant, and his message has become much more rigid.

I'm not saying either change is good or bad, but I do think a newbie whose first encounter with Dr. M was Friday's video might be turned off a bit by the tone of his message - it was somewhat 'loud' and extreme.
Tampagirl

Postby BroccoliForever » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:13 am

Patty wrote,
If someone is upset today by how he says it, they are upset at what they think about what he is saying (ultimately their death). Each person is the most important component in the feedback loop of the food industry and medical industry.

I couldn't agree more!
BroccoliForever

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks for posting the link! Just watched this and it was quite entertaining! I can't wait to see the one from next Friday and hope one of the low carber's takes Dr. McDougall up on this challenge to debate (but sounds like not likely)!!
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:Thanks for posting the link! Just watched this and it was quite entertaining! I can't wait to see the one from next Friday and hope one of the low carber's takes Dr. McDougall up on this challenge to debate (but sounds like not likely)!!

That's already happened. He was a guest on Jimmy Moore's Livin" La Vida Low Carb Show. Unlike Ornish or Barnard who were polite, McDougall was quite confrontational. He did not hold much, if anything, back.
vgpedlr

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:33 am

vgpedlr wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:Thanks for posting the link! Just watched this and it was quite entertaining! I can't wait to see the one from next Friday and hope one of the low carber's takes Dr. McDougall up on this challenge to debate (but sounds like not likely)!!

That's already happened. He was a guest on Jimmy Moore's Livin" La Vida Low Carb Show. Unlike Ornish or Barnard who were polite, McDougall was quite confrontational. He did not hold much, if anything, back.

Thanks, vgpedlr! I am going to look to find this one!!
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge