What are Eggs?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What are Eggs?

Postby Gershon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 am

I saw Dr. McDougall and Dr. Lederman on Lifestyle Magazine.
http://www.lifestyle.org/site/1/media/2300/LM2306TheBestMedicineThereIsSimple.mp4

During the video Dr. McDougall searched for a word to describe eggs. He finally settled on "chicken droppings." In my opinion, a more precise definition is "chicken periods."
Gershon

Re: What are Eggs?

Postby dteresa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 am

chicken ova. what else? If you refer to them as chicken droppings then I guess each unfertilized human ovum as a human dropping. Not a chicken period either because the egg never develops inside the chicken's body when fertilized, unlike the human egg.

didi
dteresa

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 am

Maybe eggs are chicken abortions.
colonyofcells

Postby Gershon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 am

dteresa wrote:chicken ova. what else? If you refer to them as chicken droppings then I guess each unfertilized human ovum as a human dropping. Not a chicken period either because the egg never develops inside the chicken's body when fertilized, unlike the human egg.

didi

Didi,

Fun with words is something I enjoy.

I guess there are two choices. If the egg is not fertilized, then we could call it a chicken period. If it is fertilized, we could call it a miscarriage. I suppose ova would be correct, but the singular is ovum.

There should be truth in labeling. Instead of a dozen eggs, they should call them chicken ovum. According to the dictionary, it's only an ovum if it is capable of developing. Once an unfertilized egg leaves the chicken, it should be called a chicken period. If it was fertilized and died, then it should be called a chicken miscarriage.

As I typed this, I figured I'd consult an expert -- George Carlin

"How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelet?" -- George Carlin
Gershon

Postby wildgoose » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Last edited by wildgoose on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby BlueHeron » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Chicken droppings doesn't make sense because "droppings" is already used to mean feces.

I've heard "chicken period" and I dislike it because it's meant to be disgusting and feeds into the ancient stereotype that women's bodies are disgusting. Googling, I see that PETA uses the "chicken period" idea, but PETA has always been willing to throw women under the bus in the name of protecting animals. I don't like that strategy for women or animals.

Since you enjoy wordplay, perhaps you can come up with something more original. I'm afraid that sentence will read as sarcasm, but it's not. I'm serious.
BlueHeron

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm

If I were anti-abortion, I would call eggs chicken infanticide. Infanticide was practiced in china where my paternal grandfather and mother came from. Eating eggs is murder.
colonyofcells

Postby dteresa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 pm

you can't call it chicken infanticide unless the egg has been fertilized and you eat it instead of letting it hatch. And if you want to anthropomorphize chickens. Ova is the correct term because the question was what are eggs? Plural. It is not a miscarriage because no egg ever fully matures inside the chicken but always warmed by the hen outside the chicken. Which is normal.

http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com/2008/ ... ruate.html

didi
dteresa

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Chicken Eggs are animal products that are high in cholesterol, saturated fat, omega 6s and animal protein, all of which are harmful for human consumption. Additionally, as an animal product, the egg lacks fiber, starches and other complex carbohydrates. The egg is also low in omega 3s. Whether fertilized or unfertilized, the egg belongs to the hen and should be left alone.
Ltldogg

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:03 am

OK, I got the best one for you that I bet you never thought of. In this video, Emily Moran Barwick discusses the fact that everything comes out through one hole (pee, poo and eggs), so that you may refer to eggs as "Chicken butt food":
http://www.bitesizevegan.com/for-kids/why-eggs-are-gross-for-kids/
Now I don’t know about you, but I definitely don’t want chicken butt food for breakfast, thank you very much

Emily always gets the point across while still being respectful to everyone.
StarchHEFP

Postby Gershon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 pm

BlueHeron wrote:Chicken droppings doesn't make sense because "droppings" is already used to mean feces.

I've heard "chicken period" and I dislike it because it's meant to be disgusting and feeds into the ancient stereotype that women's bodies are disgusting. Googling, I see that PETA uses the "chicken period" idea, but PETA has always been willing to throw women under the bus in the name of protecting animals. I don't like that strategy for women or animals.

Since you enjoy wordplay, perhaps you can come up with something more original. I'm afraid that sentence will read as sarcasm, but it's not. I'm serious.

I agree calling eggs chicken periods is inappropriate for the reasons you gave. I'll stop using the term.
Gershon

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:07 pm

colonyofcells

Postby BlueHeron » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:00 am

Gershon wrote:
BlueHeron wrote:Chicken droppings doesn't make sense because "droppings" is already used to mean feces.

I agree calling eggs chicken periods is inappropriate for the reasons you gave. I'll stop using the term.

I was going to thank you for this and somehow I didn't. So - a belated thank you for taking my concerns seriously.
BlueHeron

Return to The Lounge