Why am I really tired on this diet???/

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why am I really tired on this diet???/

Postby escrane1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

I've been trying this diet for a month and since 2 weeks ago I have been following the Maximum Weight Loss guidelines to the letter. But the thing is, is that I'm feeling really unenergetic and my muscles are feeling achy while exercising. My stomach is also sometimes sore and bloated. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating too little or too much as well. My acne is also getting a bit worse and my skin looks dull.

I'm also off wheat just in case I have a sensitivity.

I really want this diet to work for me in the way I keep hearing it does for everyone else. I came from a higher fat vegan diet that just didn't really seem to be right for me. But I'm beginning to get frustrated and doubtful about this way of doing it.

Could it be withdrawal or an adjustment period or am I doing something wrong??
escrane1

Re: Why am I really tired on this diet???/

Postby Gershon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 am

It would be helpful if you posted a couple days of the food you ate so people could see if you are following this way of eating correctly.

I suggest logging your food in a program like Chronometer to measure your fats, carbs and proteins and calories. It's possible you aren't eating enough food. This way of eating discourages precise tracking, but sometimes it gives good information.

If you are coming from a meat-eater's diet, feeling "off" would not be unusual. Dr. Kellogg noted this effect in the early 1900's. If you are starting to lose weight quickly, the toxins in your fat cells may be released into your body quickly and you will feel a bit off for awhile. This is a sign it's working. (I don't know if the cause is currently considered scientifically correct, but the effect of feeling sick is likely correct.)

When most people say their stomach is sore, they are really referring to their large intestines, particularly the transverse colon which is a couple inches below the bottom of the sternum or a little lower. I often observe people rubbing this area as if it's sore. Bloating is normal, particularly if you added a lot of beans to your diet. This is gas and it will disappear after some time on this diet.

If you just started to exercise, being tired is common. If you have been exercising regularly, I suggest either having bigger meals if you are eating three times a day or eating more frequently. A quick test (if you are not diabetic) is to eat a handful of raisins when you are tired to see if they make you feel better. This test is from personal experience and not from anything I've read. Any fruit would likely work as well. If they do make you feel better, it may be a signal you aren't eating enough.

In my opinion, Dr. McDougall and other doctors who recommend similar ways of eating convey the idea that health improvements will come almost instantaneously, and many do. From my personal experience, I've found it can take several months to clear up intestinal issues. I haven't gone to a doctor since 1993, so I can't tell you what was actually wrong, but it's fixed now. It took strict adherence to eliminating all meat and dairy. Even one slip could set me back to the beginning. (Little bits of dairy in things like bread didn't matter.) I think it took a long time to change the intestinal bacteria, but I have no proof of this. In my case, it's possible I had something like Giardia, but since I don't believe in doctors, I don't know for sure.

Good luck to you.
Last edited by Gershon on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gershon

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 am

Give your digestive track time to adjust to high fiber. Go with regular starch solution (more cooked starches) rather than MWL for now. Make sure you're eating enough calories. If problems persist proceed to elimination diet to identify possible culprit. 1 month is no time at all. Stay in it for the long run and embrace the learning curve. Give it a fair chance.
dailycarbs

Postby Dougalling » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 am

Hi

Not sure what is going on with you but for me, lack of energy, is usually from too few calories. I know that oatmeal for breakfast will give me a boost of energy to start off my day.
Hang in there, it gets better.
Dougalling

Postby docscience » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 am

Here is a video on the subject, by Michael Klaper MD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tJyb1wTxg4
He says that it can take some time to adapt the body back to plant based.
No animal based diets has been proven to stop the progression of heart disease, and the safest defense is to take the time to adapt to the plant based diet.

Also very important, Take vitamin B12 and "some ground flax seed (between 10 to 20 gms) every day".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1rIyhuJRzU
Have your B12 and vitamin D levels checked at some point.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby BlueHeron » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am

I'm not sure what the problem is, but here are some things to think about.

You say you were following a higher fat vegan diet before. What specifically are the changes you've made to your diet?

Also, are you exercising more, less, or the same amount? Has there been a change in the amount of sugar or caffeine you consume?

When did the fatigue start? Were you always energetic before, or has fatigue been a problem in the past? Has there been any change in your sleep?
BlueHeron

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

If I feel hungry or weak, I would just eat more. I don't follow maximum weight loss so I eat lots of whole grain bread for energy.
colonyofcells

Postby Katydid » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Are you eating more of any one food than you were in your previous diet? For example, if one had a sensitivity to say, rice, and started to eat much more rice in a short period of time, then that might cause a problem. What is tolerable at a low concentration (say once a week) can become an issue if eaten twice a day. Sensitivities can vary from person to person. A person might not know they were sensitive to potatoes, or rice, or oats, or gluten until it became a major part of their diet. Keep switching starches in and out (say replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes or rice for quinoa) and see if you are affected more by one or the other.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby wade4veg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:02 pm

escrane1 wrote:I've been trying this diet for a month and since 2 weeks ago I have been following the Maximum Weight Loss guidelines to the letter.

Well, that about sums up your problem.
Why in thew world people insist on pushing the pedal to the floor in the first few weeks is beyond me.

Kind of like someone getting back into shape after years off, by starting out running 12 miles a day.
Can't you see what you've done?
wade4veg

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I am an underachiever so I have never thought about doing the maximum weight loss. I only check my progress once a year bec I am lazy. I don't like to check my health and weight every day.
colonyofcells

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:15 am

wade4veg wrote:
escrane1 wrote:I've been trying this diet for a month and since 2 weeks ago I have been following the Maximum Weight Loss guidelines to the letter.

Well, that about sums up your problem.
Why in thew world people insist on pushing the pedal to the floor in the first few weeks is beyond me.

Kind of like someone getting back into shape after years off, by starting out running 12 miles a day.
Can't you see what you've done?

Let me offer an alternative view. I believe MWL is a great way to start! The results are very good, and it's not overly restrictive. What's not to like about MWL? It still allows for potatoes, brown rice, whole grain cereals, veggies, fruits, beans, etc. Because it's so flexible, I have the MWL book, and from what I remember, the guidelines say to adjust your proportion of starchy veggies / green and yellow veggies and grains based on your weight loss (or gain). The foods are very simple, basic and wholesome, and I recommend all the time as a doctor.

What I strongly feel is that you should go to your doctor, get a complete blood work, and discuss symptoms and get an examination, including any necessary medical tests. Not everything is as a result of diet, and there could be other factors. I can't speak to your symptoms, but I can tell you my case. After following a plant based plan, and going to the gym every day, losing about 10-15% of my previous weight, I suddenly started gaining weight without warning, to the tune of ALL the weight I had previously lost! And add to that sleepiness, napping during the day, cold hands / feet (not just cold, bone chilling cold), hair loss, among other symptoms. Checked my own blood work and I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism! Really stinks, and very discouraging to undo all the weight loss again, despite a healthy diet. Now it's an uphill battle even with thyroid medication to make the previous progress I had made.

Dr. McDougall's diet is so solid, hypo-allergenic, and wholesome that I don't think that it can cause any harm. There can be something wrong with any of the organ systems despite the diet (take your pick, vitamin deficiency, allergic/immunologic, endocrine, digestive, cardiovascular, etc. etc.) and only a good doctor can sort this out sometimes. I urge you, please don't try to self-diagnose and seek out medical care.
StarchHEFP

Postby MINNIE » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 am

escrane1, is it possible you are not eating enough starch? That should be the main focus of your meals, but sometimes it's hard to get used to that idea at first.

What happens if you feel tired and eat something like oatmeal, beans, sweet potatoes, etc. ? Does it help?
MINNIE

Postby BlueHeron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:26 am

Good advice to go to a doc just to make sure. However, be careful. Some docs will immediately assign blame to the McDougall diet and suggest you drop it when you really probably just need to tweak it.
BlueHeron

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:21 am

If I don't get my 7 hours sleep, I also feel tired.
colonyofcells

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:32 pm

BlueHeron wrote:Good advice to go to a doc just to make sure. However, be careful. Some docs will immediately assign blame to the McDougall diet and suggest you drop it when you really probably just need to tweak it.

Great point! That's why you can (1) use Dr. McDougall's search engine, (2) try Vegdocs (3) plantbaseddocs.com (4) try Happy Herbivore's list (download the spreadsheet) at http://happyherbivore.com/2014/09/plant-based-vegan-doctors-list/ (5) of course, consult with Dr. McDougall directly through his program!

Not all are familiar with Dr. McDougall's plan but hopefully you will find someone! Dr. McDougall has 2 sons and 1 daughter-in-law who are physicians, I'm not sure if they see patients directly, but if they do it may be well worth the trip if you can't join one of the programs!
StarchHEFP

Return to The Lounge