Gary Taubes article; Dean Ornish response

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gary Taubes article; Dean Ornish response

Postby MINNIE » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Anecdote disclaimer, not giving advice, not a scientist, my anecdotes prove nothing, yadayada.

But my experience pre-McDougall was that I was a relatively thin person who ate a diet high in "healthy" olive oil. I think I didn't gain weight because I was constantly afflicted with queasiness and indigestion, which made me eat less because I knew it was going to @#$*ing hurt.

The thinnest I ever was in my life was when I was a college student subsisting mainly on chocolate bars, ramen, instant macaroni and cheese, and Fritos. Sometimes I had "luxury" fast foods like cheeseburgers or fish and chips. That junk was so toxic to my digestive tract that I could never eat enough to gain weight.

On a starch-based I eat more (in volume) now, and have no ill effects to stop me from eating until comfortably full any time I want. I do eat more often, and consume a higher volume, but what do I care? I am burning up the calories in healthful activity, not in dashing to the medicine cabinet and/or toilet after every meal:).
Last edited by MINNIE on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINNIE

Postby Skip » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 pm

BlueHeron wrote:
arugula wrote:i agree with didi.

i find it very irksome that this man gets so much serious attention from the media.

he can't possibly be a cretin because he as a BS in engineering from Stanford.

From what I can tell, he didn't really become famous until he started telling people that fat is good for you. After that, he was regarded as a nutrition expert by the media. So I think he's probably intelligent, but he's not going for scientific integrity. He's going for fame and money, and my guess is he's getting exactly what he wants. I'm most angry at media outlets like the New York Times, who give him space that he doesn't deserve and suggest, by giving him space, that they support his beliefs. Of course, it's clickbait. He tells people what they want to hear.

I got most angry at him watching a debate with Dean Ornish, where Ornish was trying to be nice, while Taubes was telling him to "be honest," suggesting, of course, that Ornish was lying. He's a snake oil salesman, but he has a lot of fans.

Nothing has changed, same arguments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCgTlC8PE0Q
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Taubes intentionally deceives the public. He's made a nice career out of it. The criticisms from the people he quoted in his first works (that put him in the spotlight) make it clear that he is a hack. It's a pity so many are taken in and that the ny times continues to give him space in their paper/online.
dailycarbs

Previous

Return to The Lounge