Consumer Reports on Beef

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Consumer Reports on Beef

Postby StarchHEFP » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 am

As if you needed any reason as a McDougaller to give up beef, here's another one: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef

Of course, the CR article stops short of asking people to shun all beef, instead asking consumers to choose grass fed, organic, etc. My thoughts were they don't want to end up like Oprah Winfrey, with a meat defamation lawsuit costly to defend! Probably wanted to subtly recommend veggie burgers by sticking in a video about veg burgers in there. Of course, the veg burger video is saying that a good veggie burger will taste and feel exactly like beef. Not so! The nice thing about a good veg burger is that it's nothing like beef! I got a die-hard beef eater to try and like the Costco Kale Don Lee Farms one!
StarchHEFP

Re: Consumer Reports on Beef

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 am

It is hard to find veggie burgers that have no oil, no egg whites, no refined protein, etc. Some veggie burgers are also high in fat bec of the fatty ingredients like nuts.
colonyofcells

Postby dteresa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

I think it is jeff's recipe for vegie burgers that I use. Kidney beans, brown rice, oatmeal, a little tomato sauce and some herbs and spices. Zero fat. Cooked in the oven on a silpat. I really do prefer them to the taste of hamburgers.

didi
dteresa

Postby f1jim » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Jeff's recipe can also be formed into hot dogs for those so inclined. Have a Jef'fs burger and you will never go back to a store bought veggie burger!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 pm

For me, the alvarado street complete protein bread is the new beef.
colonyofcells

Postby docscience » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:29 pm

I had to do a short search for jeff's burgers recipe.
It is half way down the page at this link.
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/je ... n-burgers/
Posted at:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48255&p=496500#p496517
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby dteresa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm

Do you need to process everything in a food processor to make hot dogs? It seems they would roll better and be smoother this way rather than using a masher for the beans. Lumpy hamburgers yes. Lumpy hot dogs? I don't know.

didi
dteresa

Postby f1jim » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 pm

You would make them the same way as the burgers, mashing the beans to whatever texture suits you, then rolling the mixture into sausage shaped forms that can be grilled.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 am

f1jim wrote:You would make them the same way as the burgers, mashing the beans to whatever texture suits you, then rolling the mixture into sausage shaped forms that can be grilled.
f1jim

Or you could take a carrot, season it with liquid smoke and tamari sauce, and grill it up like a hot dog, cover with some beans, and eat with whole grain bun! Many recipes on the internet for "carrot hot dog"
StarchHEFP

Return to The Lounge