Best type of oil ingredients for moisturising ageing skin

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Best type of oil ingredients for moisturising ageing skin

Postby Temma » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:57 am

Hello folks, thankfully, these days there are a lot of natural moisturising products out there with no animal products or other nasties in. Which ingredients are the best for young looking skin (I know what we put INSIDE is way more important, but I want to give it a little help!! :D )

What about hemp oil? Am toying with buying this (and hope it;s okay to post a link), I am NOTHING to do with the producer or seller!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-hemp-Mo ... B006G2V1UY

Or, there's this, which is a mix of hempwax and oil, safflower and a few others: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... bw_g194_i2

And this spray http://www.amazon.co.uk/PureChimp-Super ... 304KV2ZX5A

What you folks, particularly in UK, using?
Temma

Re: Best type of oil ingredients for moisturising ageing ski

Postby grid » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:00 pm

I use the best quality olive oil I can find. No internet order, I buy organic, fair trade olive oil for cooking, but I never use it that way. It's cheap (as a cosmetics), our skin loves it and it even works as a suntan oil :D
grid

Postby calvin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Isn't the first thing skin does when subjected to topicals is to go about the chore of getting rid of them? Sloughing them off. I just say "No!" to topicals. Whadya thimk? :|
calvin

Postby grid » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:24 pm

calvin wrote:Isn't the first thing skin does when subjected to topicals is to go about the chore of getting rid of them? Sloughing them off. I just say "No!" to topicals. Whadya thimk? :|

I think it depends on your skin and the topical you use. Our (both my and my husband's) skins are dry, mine is even much drier than my husband's, and they really need something to stay healthy. Since I follow this plan, my skin is so dry in extreme weathers (in the very hot summer and in the very cold winter) that you can see it sloughing. If I use fresh aloe gel from my own plants or olive oil, it disappears from my skin in a second and my skin looks and feels healthy. It doesn't look like it wants to get rid of the topicals we use...

P.S.: I haven't mentioned fresh aloe gel in my previous post because you need to grow several big plants to use aloe gel regularly without killing the plants, so it simply doesn't work for most people.
grid

Postby f1jim » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:11 pm

I don't use any products on my skin as I have always had oily skin. Less so with this way of eating but still oily. I always wondered about oils on the skin myself. I would think the body would try to remove this "foreign object out to the skin when applied. I might not care if my skin was dry enough but it does make you wonder. We need a dermatology researcher to pick their brain. Judging from the aisles in lot's of stores moisturizing lotions are a huge business.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby PotatoBrain » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 pm

I have heard coconut oil which is vegan is one of the best skin moisturizers around and has some antimicrobial properties as well.

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) is the sludge that is squeezed out of crude oil . People on oil rigs discovered the stuff they were throwing away had healing qualities as well as moisturizing qualities.
PotatoBrain

Postby Bells » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 pm

On the face, Rose Hip Oil. On the body, shea butter, coconut, almond and olive. On the hair, Jojoba. Experiment and see which works for your skin.
“since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid”
-e.e. cummings
Bells

Postby Dougalling » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi

I use coconut oil as it does not go rancid.
It is good for hair and nails and skin.
I also use it on wood furniture.
Dougalling

Postby Temma » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks, guys/ I should have added, actually: it isn't JUST vanity (honest!) my facial skin does get very tight and uncomfy because it is dry. In fact, I try to not even have hot water on it, let alone any detergents. Oddly, I have been using extra-virgin coconut oil but was a bit put-off because it is not (at least at first) well absorbed. I did try Vaseline as well, but that didn't seem to moisturise as deeply as coconut and I did get some spots a few days later.

Might give rosehip a whirl but thanks to all for contributing. And Fjim I have often wondered: does moisturising )or at least overmoisturising) mean our own sebum (which is surely the best moisturiser?) production lessens?

Food for thought...
Temma

Postby calvin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:38 am

Off topic but maybe y'all can comment.

A friend gave me samples of Miracle II Soap and Miracle II Neutralizer. The "inventor" is a kook, the claims are exagerated, and authorities have had safety issues with the line of products. But I like the soap...very fresh aroma. Neutralizer...?...really not sure if is has any virtues. The products are more expensive than I'd like but I'm not much of a consumer and have no feeling for what reasonable prices would be. I must say that a drop of the soap, e.g. as shampoo, goes a very long way. No, there is little or no info regarding the ingredients. I'm experimenting with the Neutralizer on my eye lids which are itchy mornings and evenings.

And this brings up the subject of those little parasites that supposedly reside down by the follicles of eye lashes, whether they really exist, whether they are beneficial, whether they can be eliminated, etc. Difficult subjects to get definitive authoritative information on.
calvin

Postby judynew » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:39 pm

You mean blepharitis? Yes, it's real but it seems no one knows what really causes it. According to the Mayo Clinic website, for example:

"The exact cause of blepharitis isn't clear. It may be associated with one or more factors, including:

Seborrheic dermatitis — dandruff of the scalp and eyebrows
A bacterial infection
Clogged or malfunctioning oil glands in your eyelids
Rosacea — a skin condition characterized by facial redness
Allergies, including allergic reactions to eye medications, contact lens solutions or eye makeup
Eyelash mites or lice"

I have been experiencing this for years, without knowing what it was. Finally someone in my eye doctor's office told me and suggested washing my eyelids with baby shampoo. (I read the list of ingredients and can't believe I ever used it on my babies. I certainly don't want to rub it into my eyes on a daily basis.) For the past few years I have been treating it with eyelid wipes (I use Systane brand) and it seems to be helpful in keeping it under control. The ingredients likely aren't any better than the baby shampoo but it's much more convenient, although somewhat pricey. I've also been told to use warm compresses on my eyelids but it is a bit of a pain because they have to be different ones each time to control infection risk and they do pile up between wash days :roll: I did that early on until I got through the "crisis" stage of red, puffy looking margins and then I stopped. I also change my pillowcase every day. Blepharitis is kind of a hobby these days.
judynew

Return to The Lounge