ETA on weight loss?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

ETA on weight loss?

Postby Ashton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello everyone, me again. I'm just here to ask a general question. For those that don't know, I'm 15, 330lbs, and I'm 5'11. I'm starting this new WOE (again...) here in a month or so when my dad gets financially stable. But I'm wanting to know, has anyone had good success with losing 150+ lbs? If so, how long did it take you?

I'm just wanting to get a general idea of how long it will take me to lose the extra weight, until I'm down to my healthy weight. I will be exercising everyday at my local gym, along with doing this WOE. Any ideas? :)
Ashton

Re: ETA on weight loss?

Postby patty » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:28 pm

It works... forget about time. This is a lifelong journey. Stay with the program, the weight falls off. And when on the cravings stop. It is when you get to the last 15 or 20 lbs it goes slow:) Your body is your best ally, it won't lie, and it is you reside in the best lab. Just take it one day at a time:) By what is at the end of your fork is what is important.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Ashton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:13 pm

patty wrote:It works... forget about time. This is a lifelong journey. Stay with the program, the weight falls off. And when on the cravings stop. It is when you get to the last 15 or 20 lbs it goes slow:) Your body is your best ally, it won't lie, and it is you reside in the best lab. Just take it one day at a time:) By what is at the end of your fork is what is important.

Aloha, patty

Hello, again :)

And yes, I'm aware that it's a lifelong journey. I'm just excited to get started :P
Ashton

Postby DWu » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Hey Ashton,

Welcome!

People have lost a large amount of weight eating this way. So as patty mentioned, the program does work.

I know of one lady, our Star McDougaller Cloudy Rockwell, who lost about 100 pounds. But it did take some time.

If you're interested, you can read my interview with her on how she did it here.

http://plantfueledlife.com/cloudy-rockwell/

Stick around these boards, and you'll find plenty of encouragement and accountability.

Good luck!
DWu

Postby Katydid » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:17 am

I lost 155 pounds following this way of eating. It took me four years with a higher weight loss in the beginning and a slower rate toward the end. There were a couple of cruises in those four years, too :lol: But seriously, I needed the time to change my attitude with food and find my personal sweet spot of low calorie veggies to higher calorie starches that would allow me to keep the weight off (13 years and counting now :D )

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby f1jim » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:17 pm

How long did it take to put that much weight on? If it comes off faster you are ahead of the game. When you have lot's of weight to lose it probably seems like a monumental hill to climb. Probably doesn't help much to hear many of us say to ignore the weight loss and focus on the program but it really is the best advice. Your body will shed the appropriate weight if you feed it the appropriate food.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby BlueGene » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Being financially unstable is a good reason to start this way of eating sooner than later. Starches as very inexpensive compared to other foods, processed or otherwise. There's a section in The Starch Solution about that. There's a thread here somewhere about what people spend as well. You'd be pleasantly surprised.

I wish you luck and encouragement in your endeavours.
BlueGene

Postby Gershon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:44 pm

In my opinion, the best time to start this way of eating is when a person is financially unstable as it's the least expensive healthy way of eating I've found. Remember the basic rules. It's a starch based diet with some fruits and vegetables added. No added oils. That's it. Fill half the plate with starch and half with some fruits and vegetables. It's easy for financially well off people to err on the side of more fruits and vegetables than what's needed.

You can find some information here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49090

I made a spreadsheet that includes the cost/2000 calories. The least expensive items are generally more compliant with this way of eating. There are some exceptions.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F85234C920DF2620!2102&app=Excel&authkey=!AOoQGBhwO0Moww8
Gershon

Postby docscience » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:10 am

I have not had a large amount of weight to loose, but I had to work at it a bit. A pound of fat has around 3600 calories. People burn on average, anywhere from 1500 to 3000 calories per day, depending on age, activity, and many other factors. If you reduce your daily calorie intake by 500 calories a day, below calories burned, you would loose about a pound a week, or 50 pounds a year. Your exercise helps speed up the calorie usage and weight loss. Remember that it took years to build up all that extra weight.

Whenever I am hungry, I eat stuff like a whole cauliflower, half cooked and half raw, or any combination. Or maybe a whole broccoli, cucumbers, tomato, or anything else really low in calories per 100 gms. I do use salt for taste, as it does not have calories and you can only retain so much water. I find that salt makes these vegetables taste good.
"Go ahead - use a little salt if you want."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVtOzOROUqE
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am

I eat mostly starch (whole grain bread) 4x a day and I don't do any snacks. For my last meal, I sometimes skip the starch and just concentrate on vegetables. When I eat vegetables for my last meal, I usually don't feel full and will also eat whole grain bread. I believe whole grain bread can also make convenient snacks. I prefer to eat mostly starch bec vegetables are quite expensive.
colonyofcells

Return to The Lounge