NuVal - nutrition labeling scheme 0-100 of healthfullness

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

NuVal - nutrition labeling scheme 0-100 of healthfullness

Postby baardmk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:31 am

Why Your Nutrition Facts Aren’t Cutting It [Video]
http://linkis.com/com/MzxFI
Advocate in article is David Katz.

I see lots of problems with this. But I do think it would marginally help many people to do slightly better, although I don't agree with the validity of much of this scoring system.

My conclusion is that government should disincentivize the worst foodstuffs, getting out of bed with big ag/food and not just leaving things to "consumer choice", which can be easily manipulated. But likely a positive step, nonetheless.

How do you feel about it?
baardmk

Re: NuVal - nutrition labeling scheme 0-100 of healthfullnes

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:56 am

The healthier foods are probably the foods with no nutrition labels and no toxic packaging in the farmers markets.
colonyofcells

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:08 am

On ANDI, NuVal and food rating systems...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15068&p=143378#p143378

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 am

baardmk wrote:
My conclusion is that government should disincentivize the worst foodstuffs, getting out of bed with big ag/food and not just leaving things to "consumer choice", which can be easily manipulated. But likely a positive step, nonetheless.

+1
vgpedlr

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 am

No amount of nutrition labels will beat the advertising from junk food corporations.
colonyofcells

Postby f1jim » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:02 am

Other than nuts like us does anyone know people that read the labels we have? My family and friends see them as wasting space for pictures of the product inside!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:22 am

f1jim wrote:Other than nuts like us does anyone know people that read the labels we have? My family and friends see them as wasting space for pictures of the product inside!
f1jim

Hey Jim

We are an unusual group but according to both Gallup and Neilsen surveys, a significant percentage of Americans do try and read the Nutrition Facts & products labels.

According to Gallup, 32% say they pay a great deal of attention to them and 68% pay at least a fair amount of attention to them and in women it is 73%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163904/less- ... facts.aspx

According to Neilsen, "Three-quarters of global respondents say they read packaging labels carefully" but "Less than two-thirds (63%) of global respondents trust health claims on food packages, and the percentage is lower in Europe (51%) and North America (56%). "

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/niel ... 202015.pdf

The problem is, most (i think it was over 60%) admit they’re unable to decipher all the numbers and symbols so they have no clue to what any of the info means. They want a simpler system that is less confusing easy to decipher..

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Gershon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am

I went to King Sooper's this morning and looked at the scores. They are generally in line with what I would expect except for the high rating for milk.

They seem to go down when there is high fat, high sugar content or many ingredients. They are useful when comparing two items of the same type, for instance, pancake mix. I did notice the score was noticeably absent on some brands of meat and there were no scores on the products at the end of the aisle.

I think the average person who pays attention to the scores will improve their diet.
Gershon

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 pm

has anyone here ever been in a Focus Group for Food testing? Paid Market Research on Food? Its a bunch of hungry people in a room or they mail you like a month's worth of granola bars, etc. You evaluate which one tastes the best, they attempt to ask lots of other questions because we all learned that Pepsi wins the taste tests every time, but people prefer to buy coke.

Its easy to blame the food companies, but they are responding to the demand of an uneducated consumer. We are rigged by our caloric dopamine stimulation survival mechanism to give the most calorically dense foods the win, which is an amazing trait to have if you live in a part of the world where food is scarce. We live in a toxic food environment where toxic dopamine bombs have to compete against other toxic dopamine bombs to produce the most toxic & addictive food substances of all time.... Monster Energy Drink...

A Freedom of Information Request revealed that from 2004 to 2012 the Food and Drug Administration had received reports of five deaths occurring after drinking Monster Energy.

If food companies could put opiates back in food they would & the consumers would demand it like they demand the prescription opiates. I see no different than directly selling opiates to children than selling the analog foods that cause our brains to over opiate.

Responsibility & Education are part of the next evolutionary shift. It will continue to be a sad Darwinian movement of Gary Taubes that lead the lemmings off the cliff.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Return to The Lounge