Nitric Oxide & Cinnamon

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nitric Oxide & Cinnamon

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:05 pm

colonyofcells wrote:In the traditional diets, most of the calories come from about 2 starch staples. It does look simple except that they also consume lots of wild plants. Indigenous diets probably have as many as 200 different food items. For example, the 1949 okinawa diet looks simple since most calories come from sweet potato. But they also have soy, lots of teas including turmeric tea, many wild plants, vegetables like mushrooms, seaweeds, greens, gourds, and bitter melon, they have the low calorie konnyaku, condiments like miso, etc.

Good point. There are many plant foods that may not contribute many calories, but do contribute nutrients and phytochemicals. My Chinese tonic herb tea has five different "herbs" which don't contribute calories, but do contribute nutrients. It's hard to say what value these phytochemicals have in complexity of the overall diet. So I take an approach similar to colony and look to traditional diets. These herbs and spices have stood the test of time because they at least taste good, and modern research finds health benefits.

I'd like to think my particular concoction will turn me into a Taoist Immortal, but I won't be disappointed if that doesn't happen. :D
vgpedlr

Postby Dave Dardinger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:57 am

One problem with the discussion we're having here is that most people aren't aware of the complexity of enzyme regulation. There can be regulation of the expression of an enzyme (i.e. transcription from DNA-> RNA -> enzyme.) Then there is feedback regulation when an enzyme is turned on or off because of the concentration of the product it produces (or a product downstream from the enzyme's product). Then there are other chemicals which are competitive with the one normally acted on by the enzyme. Then there are chemicals which either encourage or discourage breakdown of the enzyme, etc. So it's entirely possible that two chemicals which have opposite activity as far as measured NO concentration actually work together to see that an optimal concentration of NO is present in particular situations to avoid damage to the organism. IOW, as several people have been saying, don't micromanage your food (at least not until all the science is in.)
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby snapple » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:05 am

I think everyone's over simplifying and downplaying these two major dietary influences. This is not micromanagement.

Cinnamon and its role in MS is well researched, tested and reported - and has been for a while. It is not new, and not contentious and is established.

Similarly the role and promotion of NO on endothelial health is extremely well established and promoted (especially here).

These are two, heavyweight and influential nutritional elements.

MS / EAEA and Cinnamon
http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2015/01/cinnanon-and-next-cure-of-week.html
https://www.rush.edu/news/press-releases/potential-impact-cinnamon-multiple-sclerosis-studied
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/researchers-studying-cinnamon-as-multiple-sclerosis-treatment.html

.. and we all already educated on NO benefits.

I feel its unfair to adopt the approach many people have in this thread. It's ignorant and doesn't show any appreciation for just how two potentially conflicting dietary influences can really worsen or better someones symptoms or condition.
Last edited by snapple on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
snapple

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:49 am

Starch Solution is simple and does not require followers to read scientific studies every day like Dr Greger. I prefer to use my time for exercise rather than reading scientific studies (most of them are reductionistic and not useful).
colonyofcells

Postby snapple » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:08 am

insinuating that one might be wasting their time by reading and investigating this area is insensitive and ignorant.

i'd prefer to be exercising too (i was national standard x-country runner and cyclist).

but as ill health has slowly robbed me of that, then i'm going to try and take every edge I can to tame and control chronic disease. its human nature to do everything one can, to gain the advantage no matter what.

and if NO suppression and expression appear to be working against one another - its worth investigating.

perhaps you're fortunate enough to not have been at the whim and mercy of that desperation.
snapple

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 am

Dr McDougall probably used the money from his foundation to do his last multiple sclerosis study and I don't see Dr McDougall rely on functional foods and expensive super foods like Dr Terry Wahls to treat multiple sclerosis. Dr McDougall does not rely on cinnamon to treat diseases. Dr McDougall also does not rely on greens to treat heart disease like the more recent vegan guru Dr Esselstyn. My impression is that the Starch Solution is closer to the whole philosophy of T Colin Campbell and there is no need to talk about nitric oxide and cinnamon. The Dr McDougall approach to treating multiple sclerosis is probably to use the whole Starch Solution diet and not rely on particular functional foods.
colonyofcells

Postby soul food » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:50 pm

snapple, there are a lot of people on the internet who want to tell people what they can think and study. :twisted:

there are other ways to think about plants and healing.
I know herbalists who have helped in the healing of people.

http://observer.com/2015/08/the-no-1-pr ... k-science/

Michael Simmons

[
quoteT]he bottom line? According to multiple, peer-reviewed studies, simply being in an open network instead of a closed one is the best predictor of career success. In the chart, the further to the right you go toward a closed network, the more you repeatedly hear the same ideas, which reaffirm what you already believe. The further left you go toward an open network, the more you’re exposed to new ideas. People to the left are significantly more successful than those to the right. In fact, the study shows that half of the predicted difference in career success (i.e., promotion, compensation, industry recognition) is due to this one variable. Do you ever have moments where you hear something so compelling that you need to know more, yet so crazy that you’d have to let go of some of your core beliefs in order to accept the idea? Read more at http://observer.com/2015/08/the-no-1-pr ... z3j2Kyvk6p Follow us: @observer on Twitter | Observer on Facebook Read more at: http://tr.im/rvbAx
[/quote]

More breakthrough ideas. Brian Uzzi, Professor of Leadership and Organizational Change at the Kellogg School of Management, performed a landmark study where he delved into the tens of millions of academic studies throughout history. He compared their results by the number of citations (links from other research papers) they received and the other papers they referenced. A fascinating pattern emerged. The top performing studies had references that were 90% conventional and 10% atypical (i.e., pulling from other fields). This rule has held constant over time and across fields. People with open networks are more easily able to create atypical combinations. Read more at http://observer.com/2015/08/the-no-1-pr ... z3j2LE8U5R Follow us: @observer on Twitter | Observer on Facebook Read more at: http://tr.im/rvbAx

soul food
soul food

Previous

Return to The Lounge