Getting arsenic out of rice a new method

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting arsenic out of rice a new method

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Scientific American had an article today about how to remove most of the arsenic from rice. I thought it might be useful for those who love their rice. Here is the story:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/simple-cooking-method-flushes-arsenic-out-of-rice/?WT.mc_id=SA_SP_20150803
Jumpstart

Re: Getting arsenic out of rice a new method

Postby dteresa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Not a big rice eater but I wonder if any of the B vitamins and other nutrients are left after using such a lot of water. Why bother to eat the rice in that case? I did invest in the enormously expensive lundberg rice grown in california where there is less arsenic in the soil. I wonder how much of a difference in percent of arsenic is in the lundberg as opposed to the carolina rice. Or if it is worth paying about five times the price of regular supermarket rice.

didi
dteresa

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 pm

I would think most of the water soluble nutrients would go down the drain cooking this way.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby f1jim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

Lundburg has available that is organic and non-organic. The price is double for the organic labeled rice. The cost here at Rainbow market is $47 for the 25lb bag of organic and $27 for the non-organic. Both supposedly have similar arsenic profiles. We have been buying the organic but I have been eyeing the non-organic version for some time.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby geo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 am

I reported on this here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48963 which article includes link to the original study.

And Jeff reported on the study and several other studies of a similar type here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32434&p=504079#p504079 (13th article in thread and 4th reference)

But your right, not only might there be a washing away of other nutrients/chemicals, but it also seems wasteful of precious water. On the other hand, in the same link above from Jeff, further down the thread, it does seem all the arsenic scare in rice needs to be put in proper perspective.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Return to The Lounge