Interesting occurrence when I ate eggs

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Interesting occurrence when I ate eggs

Postby srosenbaum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm

I have been pretty good about eating WFPB items and have really come a long way in my eating habits over the past few months. However, for various reasons, there are times when I still do eat some animal products.

This morning was one of those times. My wife was going out on a trip with kids and had just bought some fresh hoagie rolls and was making sandwiches for the kids. She made herself some scrambled eggs and had it on a fresh roll. She told me there was some leftover and i ended up eating it on one of the fresh rolls for breakfast.

What was weird was that i found that I was hungry just a short time later. There was no bulk to it like i am used when i have oatmeal or other McD compliant foods for breakfast. So not only did i end up eating a food i didn't really want, I ended up with extra calories since i ended up eating my regular breakfast anyway.

With these empty calories, it is easy to see how many people overeat on this stuff.
srosenbaum

Re: Interesting occurrence when I ate eggs

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm

Yes, exactly. Anyone unaware of this is likely to become overweight or obese. There is absolutely no way that I can maintain my fighting weight if I cheat with calorie dense foods in any consistent manner (be they on plan or not). I either have to or walk around hungry or eat more. Guess which I will do?
dailycarbs

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Oh yeah, those white bread Hoagie Rolls will get you every time :D
Jumpstart

Postby dumbbunny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Hummm....think on bright side maybe?
Maybe not have to take a B12 today?
If there is B12 in eggs like I think I read.
But. . Think can do pretty good just cutting out
ALL. The solid fats & meats~ for starters anyways.
Only been trying cutting out certain things past week
. Hummmm dang that egg sounds good to me.lol
I never liked cooked oatmeal so that I don't miss.
I think some pickled herring is good for breakfast.
Lol
Next week maybe.
Today am maybe gonna enjoy soup
I making.( Purslane. Watercress. Lentils. Rice. Quinoa. Garlic. Carrots. Broccoli. Snap peas. )..might put a tablespoon or 2
"chicken better than Bouillon" in~ salt (but label days it's made from chicken.
No potatoes today. ;0)
dumbbunny

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Whole grain rolls should be healthy and filling.
colonyofcells

Postby dteresa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:36 pm

I bet I would succumb to a crusty long hoagie roll or crusty round roast beef roll from the Italian bakeries in New Jersey. Bet you can't get them anywhere else like those. Subway rolls are a poor poor imitation.

Where did you get the purslane? Don't tell me it is just one more thing you can only get in california.

didi
dteresa

Postby Crider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:03 pm

I grew up in Southern California and purslane was a weed there. :lol:
Crider

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 pm

dteresa wrote:I bet I would succumb to a crusty long hoagie roll or crusty round roast beef roll from the Italian bakeries in New Jersey. Bet you can't get them anywhere else like those. Subway rolls are a poor poor imitation.

Where did you get the purslane? Don't tell me it is just one more thing you can only get in california.

didi

I am living in NJ for the next three months...should I venture out to find a bakery when I'm feeling like eating a bad food? I would love a tomato, spinach, and hummus sandwich on a crusty round roast beef roll...if it's as good as you describe :D
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby dumbbunny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Purslane grows here (Minnesota)
& is definitely.
Considered a weed here too.
dumbbunny

Postby dteresa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:30 pm

fifty years ago in blackwood new jersey, my family who lived there, not only bought the delicious bread but was particular about the time they bought it. There were two bakings. One came out of the oven at ten in the morning and the other at three in the afternoon. Depending on when company was arriving, they would time their trip to the bakery to get the really fresh rolls. My sister in law would get there just around the time the loaves came out of the oven and would insist on the fresh baked loaves and not buy the bread left over from the ten oclock baking and certainly never buy bread that had been there overnight.

I do wonder if there are any more of those great bakeries left. The very worst crime the super markets commit is putting even those inferior loaves into plastic bags, thus ensuring that the bread will be soft and not crusty.

didi
Purslane is not the only weed that is a good choice for green leafies.
Dandelions are a weed too and sell in my supermarket for three dollars for a small bunch. My grandfather picked his own and made salads, cooked it and also made dandelion wine. He would be totally astounded that anyone would pay for dandelions. I bet purslane grows around here too but I cannot identify it. It looks a lot like the flower portulaca which is a common garden plant but it is not the same thing.
dteresa

Postby dumbbunny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Yes...many foods are Free
just pick them.
I have tried a few.
If I could get around better. I would be eating a lot
More of Free foods that are available here.
There is lots of it.
dumbbunny

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 pm

New Jersey and the whole NY Metro area has great breads indeed—or at least did once a upon a time. I lived in NJ for decades and also worked in NYC for a long time and I became a bread addict. I still am to this day and can only indulge my taste for bread occasionally.
dailycarbs

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm

I have boiled emmer wheat before and I find both wheat and whole wheat breads quite filling if I drink lots of water. Costco used to sell emmer wheat (farro).
http://farrolicious.com/wp-content/uplo ... Farro1.jpg
http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/01/farro ... ean-salad/
colonyofcells

Return to The Lounge