My Dinner With Longevity Expert Dan Buettner (No Kale Requir

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Dinner With Longevity Expert Dan Buettner (No Kale Requir

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:02 am

Mostly good news for our woe (as we know from Mr. Buettner being an ASW speaker) but there is some olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Still, the general message is good.

My Dinner With Longevity Expert Dan Buettner (No Kale Required)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/fashi ... ttner.html
dailycarbs

Re: My Dinner With Longevity Expert Dan Buettner (No Kale Re

Postby txveggie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:00 am

Nice article, I must admit that when he made the Paleo reference I really did LOL!
txveggie

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:07 am

The Dan Buettner diet seems similar to the Pritikin diet, but maybe skip the coconut milk and olive oil. I prefer tempeh and natto over the more processed tofu which might have almost no fiber.
colonyofcells

Postby BlueHeron » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 am

I was really glad to see this in the New York Times, since they've been so instrumental in giving Gary Taubes and his ilk a platform. I'm sure there will be at least one letter of rebuttal though.
BlueHeron

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:32 am

Pretty much any traditional diet will be healthier than the standard american diet. I don't believe there will be any scientific studies that can be conducted over 100 years so copying seemingly healthy traditional diets (and lifestyle) is still a good way to eat healthy.
colonyofcells

Postby r-marie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:27 am

What really surprised me was this: "After that blast of coffee, which I dutifully diluted with soy milk (as instructed) at O Cafe on Avenue of the Americas....."

I know of no 'blue-zone culture' who would use or even have access to SOY MILK - in my research one of the most unhealthy substitute milks. When I drank it years ago I consistently got an upset stomach which almost never happens. Soy is only beneficial if eaten in a fermented form.
r-marie

Postby f1jim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:33 am

There are lot's of forms of soy and many of them are only marginally better than meat or dairy. Having said that there are forms of soy that have been used for centuries with excellent results. Traditional soy in various firmness can be used in a myriad of cooking dishes. Edemame is a great way to enjoy soybeans. Tempe makes a great meat substitute in most dishes. Yes, the fermented verions of soy are wonderful but there are many healthy ways to consume soy. It shouldn't be the major source of calories but as a side to basic starches it can be fine.
We always mention to stay way from various highly processed forms of soy like products that use isolated soy proteins. They are not particularly healthy and should be avoided.

It was many peoples observation at the last ASW that Dan Buettner had no idea we existed. I believe it was news to him that there were people outside of the blue zones that ate like we do. I think we had an effect on him. Glad to see him speak again at the September ASW. He really was enjoyable and informative.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am

That the traditional diets used soy only in fermented form is a lie spread by the Weston Price Foundation of Sally Fallon. I grew up in asia and when I was a kid, I consumed plenty of unfermented soy milk, soy curd, tofu, tofu skin (yuba), wheat gluten, etc. Soy curd (soft tofu) can be consumed daily as a snack in asia. The fermented tempeh is used in Indonesia. The fermented natto over rice is used as a breakfast in some places in Japan.
Pictures of soy curd (soft tofu) with syrup as a snack. Soy curd was sold daily by walking street peddlers. After my mother was diagnosed with diabetes, I used to eat soy curd with no syrup.
http://bakingquinn.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... o-fah.html
The Weston Price Foundation is supposed to promote traditional diets which does include unfermented soy products like edamame which is used a lot in japan. I am not really sure what is behind the irrational anti soy campaign of the Weston Price Foundation. Soy probably originated in China and unfermented soy has been used for ages in China. The soy sprouts popularized by the Koreans do require cooking to avoid upset stomach. I enjoy boiled soy sprouts in soups.
http://www.maangchi.com/wp-content/uplo ... prouts.jpg
colonyofcells

Postby dumbbunny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Well that thread was interesting.
dumbbunny

Return to The Lounge