That sugar film

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

That sugar film

Postby sjbell » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 am

Hi
Has anyone seen this film? I was thinking of paying to download it to watch, but wondering any thoughts about it?
Thanks
SJ
sjbell

Re: That sugar film

Postby Tiger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 am

It's Paleo-centric, but has a lot of information about what sugar does to our bodies and brains. It's entertaining, well done, with the usual parade of experts.

The filmmaker started out very healthy (he's a young guy) but was eating 50% of his calories in fat, avocados and nuts, so Definitely Not McDougall. I don't think I learned anything new about eating excessive sugar, having read some books on the subject before, but if you set aside the paleo, it's worth watching, IMO, especially if you're struggling with sweets.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby dteresa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 am

I know kempner used sugar to increase calories on his original diet which started out with rice and some fruit, which may have been cooked. I know it is fat and animal protein that gums up the works as far as insulin resistance is concerned. However, the original Pritikin diet specifically forbids, not only fat, but all kinds of sugars including honey and maple syrup despite the fact that he cites early studies which showed that cream, not sugar caused healthy subjects to test diabetic. The original pritikin diet also allowed about a pound and a half of lean meat and some fat free milk and egg whites. Not so vegan.

For some reason the paleo crowd who rightly eschew processed junk food, seem to think that sugar is bad (including the sugar produced by the metabolism of healthful whole starches) and therefore, meat and fat must be good. I guess because you have to eat something.

didi
dteresa

Postby Alfred » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 am

If interested "That sugar film" spawned a self-help book.
Durianrider (a pro-fruit guy) gave a Harsh review of the book, but he has some good points about the author lumping all carbohydrates as "evil" sugars.

Careful ...lots of swearing :)

That Sugar Film Summary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2RBWsPA_E4
Alfred

Return to The Lounge