Are you willing to try something new?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are you willing to try something new?

Postby pinkrose » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:15 pm

Some of us who have been McDougalling for a few years may have been amazed by the reluctance of people to try this way of eating. Even though it offers the potential for improving health and reducing expenses significantly, many are unwilling to try it. :(

So I think one must be more daring and adventurous that most people to even try this way of eating and we know that only those who try it can eventually adhere to it and be blessed by it.

Maybe we have more imagination than others. We are able to imagine the possible benefits of changing our habits and we think the benefits may compensate us well for the efforts we will expend in changing. :idea:

Some men can understand this. After using disposable razors for many years, I began using one of the "state of the art" razors. I had used the disposable razors for only a week and at first I thought I would probably use each blade cartridge for a week. Then I decided to use each cartridge as long as it seemed that I was able to get a good, comfortable shave with it....and I have used my current cartridge for 21 days! My willingness to change a long held habit may save me a lot of shaving expenses! :D

I believe that the road to progress in many areas of our lives begins with the willingness to try something new, a willingness to consider giving up our old habits. :idea:

If you have become a successfully McDougaller, I salute you! :nod:

Please share your stories about how you tried something new, changed a habit and and have been blessed by the change! :D
pinkrose

Re: Are you willing to try something new?

Postby Melinda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:50 pm

Great to hear from you Pinkrose! I truly feel I wouldn't feel as good as I do without eating this way. No remarkable success story to share, except continued good health. A friend of mine says myself and my husband, age 60 and 62, are the only people she knows who aren't on meds.
Melinda

Postby Tiger » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 am

I learned to drive a stick shift at age 53, that was quite a challenge and more than a little nerve-wracking at times, but now I'm happy I took on that challenge. It changed my outlook on driving and gave me more confidence.

It's supposed to be very good for your brain to learn new things and I suppose that means trying new things as well. Dr. Joe Dispenza wrote a book called Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself. He explains that if you keep doing the same thing every day, you're going to have the same mindset. (There's a lot more to the book than that, that's just my outtake.)
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 am

I'm always trying to think of something new to do. I learned to swim in my late 30s. I switch hands when using my computer's mouse so I'm equally adept with my left or right. I went from a regular bike to a recumbent for 6 years and then back to a regular bike again. I started sitting and sleeping on the floor. I got my wife interested in it and that led to us having no chairs, beds or most any other furniture.That led to us selling our house and moving to an apartment last year. Other than a few low work surfaces (tables) we still don't own any furniture. I went skydiving last year at age 56. It was worth it just to get a shot of myself with my face contorted (like looking in a funhouse mirror). Of course, this woe. That was 5 years ago. The next thing I'd love to is travel around the U.S. by car for a few months and meet all sorts of people along the way. That may have to wait until retirement.

PS. Tiger, all my cars since age 20 have had stick shifts. It's the only way to go. :D
dailycarbs

Postby mountain » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 am

Yes, I am absolutely willing to try new things. Life is an adventure and we need to experience whatever we can. I got my motorcycle license last year....at the tender age of 59.....and bought my first bike. It was a bit nerve wrecking and during the course I asked myself why I put myself through that. But then I reminded myself that I used to be a bus driver in Europe and I can do this! And I am so glad I did, I just love riding, I ride all over the place and next year I am going to go down the Oregon Coast!
Just have to figure out the food situation when I go, lol!
mountain

Postby Gershon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 am

Last time I opened my mind, my brains fell out.
Gershon

Postby mapat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 am

Gershon wrote:Last time I opened my mind, my brains fell out.

'minds are like parachutes--they only function when open'

It is only after we question and let go of the old thoughts/mindsets that we have room to explore the new.
When I was 28 I took a swimming class in college, because I had always been afraid of the water (I have sensory problems) and didn't want my fears to inhibit my children. The first time we had to jump into the pool--in the shallow end!--it took my instructor 20 minutes to talk me into jumping in. To pass the class we had to dive off the diving board and swim to the end of the pool. I go an A!! :D And conquered a fear. That was the most important class I ever took. Since then--whatever it is--"I can do this".
mapat

Postby Katydid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 am

I have been a successful McDougaller for 17 years now. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). This turned my world upside down. EoE is a disease where the esophagus becomes allergic to contact with food proteins. It requires a strict elimination diet to treat. Gone where all of my food basics - beans, lentils, split peas, nuts, soy, white potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, bananas, citrus fruits, anything with gluten - and do on. :crybaby:

I had to learn to cook again within a limited source of food. But I accepted the challenge and learned to make "tomato" and BBQ sauce from beets, pumpkin and carrots, hummus from hominy, and bean burgers without any beans :lol: :D And I never, NEVER stopped being a McDougaller!

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby pundit999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 am

Katydid wrote:I have been a successful McDougaller for 17 years now. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). This turned my world upside down. EoE is a disease where the esophagus becomes allergic to contact with food proteins. It requires a strict elimination diet to treat. Gone where all of my food basics - beans, lentils, split peas, nuts, soy, white potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, bananas, citrus fruits, anything with gluten - and do on. :crybaby:

I had to learn to cook again within a limited source of food. But I accepted the challenge and learned to make "tomato" and BBQ sauce from beets, pumpkin and carrots, hummus from hominy, and bean burgers without any beans :lol: :D And I never, NEVER stopped being a McDougaller!

Kate

Wow Kate! Inspiring. When the life threw a lemon, you made lemonade! Thanks for sharing your story.
pundit999

Postby Gershon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 am

mapat wrote:

It is only after we question and let go of the old thoughts/mindsets that we have room to explore the new.
When I was 28 I took a swimming class in college, because I had always been afraid of the water (I have sensory problems) and didn't want my fears to inhibit my children. The first time we had to jump into the pool--in the shallow end!--it took my instructor 20 minutes to talk me into jumping in. To pass the class we had to dive off the diving board and swim to the end of the pool. I go an A!! :D And conquered a fear. That was the most important class I ever took. Since then--whatever it is--"I can do this".

My statement was meant to evoke a smile, but it is something I use now to avoid distractions after I've thoroughly investigated a subject and picked my course of action. Just for fun, I'll invent another quote.

"Don't open your parachute unless you are falling."
Gershon

Postby pinkrose » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Gershon wrote:
mapat wrote:

My statement was meant to evoke a smile, but it is something I use now to avoid distractions after I've thoroughly investigated a subject and picked my course of action. Just for fun, I'll invent another quote.

"Don't open your parachute unless you are falling."

I do not need to explore a garbage dump to know it is dirty but it is good to be open minded in regard to some things!

So many great posts here!

I expect that many successful McDougallers have experienced some form of "basic training" that gave us confidence that we could adapt and thrive as we encounter changes. For me, the adaptations to McDougalling were minor compared to adaptations I had made in regard to sports, education, work, losing a spouse, moving to China etc. The benefits of McDougalling make the changes seem like intelligent choices!

It is hard for me to imagine making much progress in regard to any meaningful goal without making major changes as I pursue the goal! :nod: :idea: :nod:
pinkrose

Postby dlee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 am

Katydid wrote:I have been a successful McDougaller for 17 years now. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). This turned my world upside down. EoE is a disease where the esophagus becomes allergic to contact with food proteins. It requires a strict elimination diet to treat. Gone where all of my food basics - beans, lentils, split peas, nuts, soy, white potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, bananas, citrus fruits, anything with gluten - and do on. :crybaby:

Kate

Terrific Kate!!
I've always been willing to make changes, traveling, diet, art, living in Mexico always learning something new! Love this thread Pinkrose. :D
dlee

Postby Dave Dardinger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 am

If you're trying to do new things a good reference book is:

"The First 20 Hours (How to Learn Anything Fast)" by Josh Kaufman

He gives lots of good advice about researching and planning to learn a new sill and commit to 20 hours of practice which will make you competent (though not expert) in the skill.
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby Jessica M » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm 27 and I think I'm having a "quarter life crisis." I can't be a grown woman with an eating disorder. This past year I've been struck willing to let some things go.

1.) I can't throw up anymore. No matter what I put in my body, it stays. I'm just going to have to deal with it.

2.) Coffee is not a food group. I'm down from 6 cups a day to 1 cup in the morning. I used it to suppress my appetite, but now I actually eat when I'm hungry.

3.) I'm done obsessing about my appearance. Who gives a f$&@. Acceptance is the answer, I'm told.

"For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business." T.S Elliot.
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there
Jessica M

Postby pinkrose » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 am

Jessica M wrote:I'm 27 and I think I'm having a "quarter life crisis." I can't be a grown woman with an eating disorder. This past year I've been struck willing to let some things go.

1.) I can't throw up anymore. No matter what I put in my body, it stays. I'm just going to have to deal with it.

2.) Coffee is not a food group. I'm down from 6 cups a day to 1 cup in the morning. I used it to suppress my appetite, but now I actually eat when I'm hungry.

3.) I'm done obsessing about my appearance. Who gives a f$&@. Acceptance is the answer, I'm told.

"For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business." T.S Elliot.

Jessica, it seems that you are moving forward!
:nod:

Are you following Dr. McDougall's guidance? :?:
pinkrose

Next

Return to The Lounge