Need help re: life insurance

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need help re: life insurance

Postby Bunny » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I need some help. I just bought a life insurance policy. The policy premiums are very low if you're considered healthy, but are very high if they deem you "unhealthy". I told my agent to put me in the healthiest category, because I was sure I'd pass all their tests.

I just got the results back today and they put me in the worst category for a non smoker. Their reason is because my numbers are too low!!! Specifically, where I "failed" is the following:

BUN - my level was 4. They say it should be 5-25mg/dL

Cholesterol - my level was 131. They say it should be 160 - 260mg/dL

LDL cholesterol - my level was 59. They say it should be 79 - 154 mg/dL

Creatinine (urine) - my level was 7.6. They say it should be 27 - 260 mg/dL

I'm no expert, but I'm assuming these are all healthy numbers. So why do I have to pay extra to have life insurance? Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a life insurance company out there that will put me in their "healthy" category? I'm thinking of canceling the policy if I have to pay more just because I'm healthy!

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance.
Bunny

Re: Need help re: life insurance

Postby openmind » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Bunny wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum but I need some help. I just bought a life insurance policy. The policy premiums are very low if you're considered healthy, but are very high if they deem you "unhealthy". I told my agent to put me in the healthiest category, because I was sure I'd pass all their tests.

I just got the results back today and they put me in the worst category for a non smoker. Their reason is because my numbers are too low!!! Specifically, where I "failed" is the following:

BUN - my level was 4. They say it should be 5-25mg/dL

Cholesterol - my level was 131. They say it should be 160 - 260mg/dL

LDL cholesterol - my level was 59. They say it should be 79 - 154 mg/dL

Creatinine (urine) - my level was 7.6. They say it should be 27 - 260 mg/dL

I'm no expert, but I'm assuming these are all healthy numbers. So why do I have to pay extra to have life insurance? Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a life insurance company out there that will put me in their "healthy" category? I'm thinking of canceling the policy if I have to pay more just because I'm healthy!

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

I would go to another life insurance company. If that doesn't work, maybe you can get a letter from a doctor stating your numbers represent someone in excellent health. It's just nuts to think an LDL of 79 increases your risk of death.
openmind

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Vegans will have lower creatinine levels due to consuming lower protein. But it can be a sign that you have intentionally diluted your urine to mask drug use. That's one of the reasons they may be increasing your rates...

http://www.crlcorp.com/wp-content/uploa ... 1.2013.pdf
EmmetFitzhume

Postby Gershon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:55 am

EmmetFitzhume wrote:Vegans will have lower creatinine levels due to consuming lower protein. But it can be a sign that you have intentionally diluted your urine to mask drug use. That's one of the reasons they may be increasing your rates...

http://www.crlcorp.com/wp-content/uploa ... 1.2013.pdf

Maybe beating drug tests would be a better way to advertise being vegan.
Gershon

Postby dteresa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:36 am

I know what happened. You have fallen asleep and awakened in the future like woody allen in the movie sleeper. Paleo dieters have taken over the world and only high lipids and other formerly unhealthy blood markers are now thought to be good for you.

I would fight it. I am thinking, a letter to the surgeon general requesting something definitive on the subject, get in touch with the insurance commission of your state, write to the newspapers, call one of those tv programs that does news magazine type programs. I also like the idea of going to another company with your results.

Someone here a while ago posted a test where you plugged in your numbers and your present biological age and predicted lifespan were automatically calculated. A lot on the group could not do it because i believe their numbers were too low! Maybe someone can find that poll.

didi
PS I assume you are talking about whole life. Opinions will differ but term life is cheaper because with whole life the commissions are enormous.
dteresa

Postby pinkrose » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:23 pm

Try Transamerica.
I got their lowest rate a few years ago and I hope you can too! :idea:
pinkrose

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:44 pm

Your numbers look great. Life insurance company is full of bull____. Try getting a couple other term-life premiums from like NY Life, MetLife, etc. My vegan numbers were similar to yours and I got the great rate from both of these companies. My numbers were below the normal range too, and the companies didn't raise any problems. I've never heard of such a thing. Invest your money into real investments, and get a term-life policy instead. I never understood the whole life policies but I do know I have a family member who is an insurance agent and they get 10% of whatever you pay the insurance company, EVERY YEAR!
StarchHEFP

Postby patty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:Your numbers look great. Life insurance company is full of bull____. Try getting a couple other term-life premiums from like NY Life, MetLife, etc. My vegan numbers were similar to yours and I got the great rate from both of these companies. My numbers were below the normal range too, and the companies didn't raise any problems. I've never heard of such a thing. Invest your money into real investments, and get a term-life policy instead. I never understood the whole life policies but I do know I have a family member who is an insurance agent and they get 10% of whatever you pay the insurance company, EVERY YEAR!

And when you get into your 70s.. you policy rate starts to go up, and continuous to go up as you get older, where you no longer can afford to keep it. Your best insurance is eat this WOE.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Bunny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for all the comments. I just talked with my insurance company. They told me that the two main reasons I didn't qualify for their best category (which is called "elite Preferred") is because of my low cholesterol level mixed with my high BMI!!! This irritates me to no end, because my BMI is 18.8!!!

In order to qualify for their elite status, I need a cholesterol level of 160 or higher AND a BMI of 17.5 or less!!! I'm seriously considering canceling ALL my policies with this company, because I don't see how these numbers are attainable.

StarchHEFP, thanks. Maybe I'll look into some of those companies you suggest.

Patty, I totally agree that this way of eating is the best insurance. I just wanted something a little extra for my family in case of an accident. I see now that this will only cause aggravation that I really don't want!

Thanks, pink rose, I'll look into transamerica as well!

Didi, no this is term life. It IS significantly lower per month than the whole life, but I just find it ridiculous I have to pay more for the reasons they've stated. My husbands policy, however, is now $100 more per month than the healthier category, since he's over 40.

Emmet, thanks for another possibility regarding the creatinine levels. I did take the test first thing in the morning, which is when I drink a ton of water. I didn't do it intentionally though. Maybe they should tell people not to drink water before the testing. This just adds to my many "suggestions" I now have for them!lol
Bunny

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:19 pm

I think you might be confused about what BMI is set as healthy by insurance companies. I had lunch with my agent today and asked him about this. He laughed and said it must be an error. France has just made it illegal and subject to fine and imprisonment to use a runway model with a BMI of 18 or less.
Jumpstart

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:52 pm

The bmi has to be wrong. Maybe 17.5 or higher? Anything below 17.5 is likely to be dangerous.
dailycarbs

Postby Bunny » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:17 am

Jumpstart, no it is set at 17.5. I thought that since my bmi is in the healthy range I would be okay, but apparently, they think I'm too overweight to be considered healthy. (I just want to reiterate that I am quite thin at 5'5" and 114 lbs.) I tried explaining to the secretary how ridiculous it is, but she said there was no one to complain to and they won't change they're expectations of "health".

Dailycarbs, I'm not sure now. I guess all I really heard was 17.5. It can't be 17.5 or above though, because my bmi is 18.8, so if that's the case, I would have qualified, I think.
Bunny

Postby dailycarbs » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:32 am

Bunny wrote:Dailycarbs, I'm not sure now. I guess all I really heard was 17.5. It can't be 17.5 or above though, because my bmi is 18.8, so if that's the case, I would have qualified, I think.

Either you misunderstood or this insurance company is unique in their interpretation of healthy bmi and they're only insuring anorexics.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assess ... etedAdults
dailycarbs

Postby Bunny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Dailycarbs, I was actually thinking the insurance company lures the customer in with a price that they know nobody will be able to qualify for. After I hung up with the office secretary (and I know I didn't misunderstand, because I repeated the number she gave me and she confirmed that it was 17.5), I did look up how to lower bmi to 17.5 and came across websites on getting anorexics to become a healthier weight. So I figured that was very low. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. She told me I could raise my cholesterol to over 160 and lose weight and then get rechecked in two years. I'm obviously not going to do that, but I'd like to get them to change it to some truly healthy numbers.
Bunny

Postby f1jim » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Time to go shopping and let your dollars go elsewhere.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge