Local High School Track Star to Learn About PBWF & Teach

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Local High School Track Star to Learn About PBWF & Teach

Postby TerriNC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:14 am

Last week I had something really inspiring happen. It was a phone call from an upcoming senior at our local high school named Sean. He had seen a recent article in our newspaper about me being selected by PCRM to teach their Food for Life program. As our conversation progressed, his story blew my mind!

He said he is on the track team at our local school, a cross country runner, and is going to college to run as well. Recently, he had watched the documentary Fed Up and had been inspired to switch to a plant-based diet because he wanted to be at his optimal performance level and take the best care of his body.

After switching over to this way of eating, he's encountered some ridicule from teammates about his diet. They just don't get it.

The film also moved him because of the obese kids in it that were exercising like mad and eating what they thought was a healthy diet, but still not losing weight.

So, this local track star has decided that he wants to do his Senior Project on the benefits of plant-based, whole foods living, as well as show his teammates and fellow students that it can taste great too. Part of the project will be to prepare food for 100 people at the school cafeteria. He wants to offer them information and food samples and talk to them about the benefits and wonderful food options.

He has asked me to donate 15 hours of mentoring time to his project and do the required paperwork. I told him I was IN, as I quietly reached for a tissue and said a prayer of thanks.

We have our first meeting on Wednesday for an interview. After that, he will accompany me on a local Health Coaching session with one of my clients where we will prepare a meal; we'll do our own cooking and nutrition session; he will assist me with a presentation at a local Physical Therapy medical office on September 15th, and assist with Food for Life classes I'll be teaching the whole month of October.

To say that I'm excited about this is such an understatement! This young athlete has students (and hopefully faculty and staff) that look up to him. They will listen to what he's excited about. When he goes with me to the programs mentioned above, people will take notice of a young, fit athlete helping me spread the message in our community.

Oh dang, there's those tears of joy and thankfulness again.

In honor of Sean, yesterday, I updated one of my older blog post about plant-based athletes and protein. I can't wait for him to see the company he's in. He's far from alone! So, so happy here! What an amazing ride this is turning into! http://blog.eatplant-based.com/inspirin ... s/protein/
TerriNC

Re: Local High School Track Star to Learn About PBWF & Teach

Postby sjsilver » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:51 am

That is so exciting! I am happy for you. What a wonderful way to spread the word.
sjsilver

Postby pundit999 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Great story, Terri.
Thanks for sharing.
pundit999

Postby patty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:29 pm

It's Happening!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby viv » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:15 pm

That's wonderful!

The missing component thus far in persuading teenagers to go WFPB is the perceived thinking that "carbs are bad" and "potatoes make you fat." That's why the McDougall plan is so different because it focusses on STARCH. When you can tell a kid that they can eat potatoes, rice, corn and beans and be healthy, fit and trim, well it just sounds too unbelievable. I have talked to lots of teenagers since McDougalling, (teacher in a large high school) and just recently a student ran after me in the hall and said "I can't believe it, I eat potatoes now, and I feel so much better!"

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lhawke » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:34 pm

How exciting! Your energy and enthusiasm are inspiring and infectious! Much success to you, and to the young man as well! :)
Lhawke

Postby TerriNC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm so very excited to sit down with Sean on Wednesday and hear the long story of all this. He and his mom 'friended' me on facebook, so I've been learning even more about him today. So far, he seems like a terrific young man, and I can't wait to work with him.

Who would've ever believed a young person would seek out this way of life on their own? Oh my, the joy!!

Yes, Patty, "It's happening!" and I'm beside myself with joy and excitement! :D
TerriNC

Return to The Lounge