Anyone here fantasize about opening their own restaurant?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Anyone here fantasize about opening their own restaurant

Postby smudgemom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:41 am

Arnold's Way...Lansdale, PA.

It's a raw, vegan restaurant. Lots of juices, cold veg soups, fruit soups & desserts. Many of the 80-10-10 world have given it a thumb's up. IMO, restaurant food should be infrequent, thus having entrees w/ small amounts of oil (versus animal product) is acceptable.

There are too many variations just within the WFPB world to be acceptable for all, though....

I could see a 'condiment bar' type of place. Unadorned starches (potatoes, corn, rice, etc) w/ a side of the restaurant filled w/ condiments...from salsa, hummus, soy-based bacon, EVOO, nuts....your choice of how compliment you want to be...but the base would be 'clean'. Same with unadorned steamed greens...a cart filled with balsamic vinegars, fat free sauces...again allowing you to be in charge of your food.

Sure it can be done!! Just has to be marketed right....good luck, TE!!
smudgemom

Postby TerriT » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:08 am

This Seattle Chinese restaurant has been my favourite place to eat out in the entire world for a long time. It is 100% vegan (except for the fortune cookies which contain egg) and they have a section of noodle dishes which they will prepare oil-free on request.

http://www.bamboo-garden.co/
TerriT

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:01 am

I'd rather open a coffee/tea shop an have some McDougall-compliant foods along with it.
Jack Monzon

Postby brittasmom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:47 am

I really enjoy eating out. My friends for a lifetime are not plant based and think I have lost my mind even tho they can see how I have regained my health. Finding oil free entrees is very difficult. Doing a restaurant is very ambitious but if someone opened one here I would be a customer.
It seems that the major restaurant chains could easily come up with one or two PB no oil offerings with no problem. So I have been speaking to the manager every rest I go to asking them to add some no fat options to their menu. I don't say vegan. I just explain I am on a very lo fat diet for health reasons . There are many people especially heart patients that are not plant based but are dieting. We need to speak up because they don't know if we don't say anything. I think there are rest. that are leaning our way. La Rosa's that is a local chain pizza place here in the greater Cincinnati area offers whole grain pizza crust with no oil marinara sauce. The Mellow Mushroom offers vegan cheeses . You can see the trend toward healthier offerings with Burger King and White Castle offering veggie burgers. Still a long way from healthy but at least you know they are responding to pressure from customers for healthier offerings.
The problem I see with a strictly vegan style rest is that non vegans will not want to go there. Since I eat out to socialize with friends I have had all my life I would prefer to eat at places that offer food I can eat without making a big to do about it. My friends aren't interested in my new lifestyle so I just make a quiet statement in that they can't deny how much healthier , slimmer and energetic I have become.
brittasmom

Postby bcmike » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:31 pm

I was in the business for 21 yrs.--upper west side in nyc--lotsa fun, but lotsa hard work--esp. in nyc where the health
dept. fund raises a few times a year. I was not McDougall compliant--not even close.
There is a macrobiotic restaurant (2) down town called Souen--very compliant, no oils, steamed, brown rice, etc. absolutely
delicious. But--they also offered a few dishes, salmon, other fish, (no meat) for those who wanted--place always packed.
They have a large basket up front by the register, filled with muffins, no oil, sugars, and if not mistaken, they used spelt
flour. If my Wife and i had dinner, i can't tell you how many times that basket was emptied while we were there. Had lunch there one day, same scenario. Any time of day/night, people
just stopping in, picking up a few muffins. Oh--the place was a dump, till they recently made some improvements, always a wait,
no reservations (unless they changed policy, but would doubt it.)
Knowing the business a bit, i'd say there food cost was low, no oils, fryers, etc.--would venture to say very successful.
I think Geoffrey is spot on saying location is key. This place was by Union Square, young crowd, who i'd say is more into
that type of eating. Upper West is older crowd, not into it. My customers would look at me like i had 2 heads.
Tough business, but hey, what business is easy. Great feeling when you see people enjoying the food, drink, etc.
bcmike

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 am

smudgemom wrote:Arnold's Way...Lansdale, PA.

It's a raw, vegan restaurant. Lots of juices, cold veg soups, fruit soups & desserts. Many of the 80-10-10 world have given it a thumb's up. IMO, restaurant food should be infrequent, thus having entrees w/ small amounts of oil (versus animal product) is acceptable.

There are too many variations just within the WFPB world to be acceptable for all, though....

I could see a 'condiment bar' type of place. Unadorned starches (potatoes, corn, rice, etc) w/ a side of the restaurant filled w/ condiments...from salsa, hummus, soy-based bacon, EVOO, nuts....your choice of how compliment you want to be...but the base would be 'clean'. Same with unadorned steamed greens...a cart filled with balsamic vinegars, fat free sauces...again allowing you to be in charge of your food.

Sure it can be done!! Just has to be marketed right....good luck, TE!!

Smudgemom, you must live near me - I live about ten minutes from Arnold's Way. However, I have never been there - several people have told me it is not clean. I cannot vouch for that, since I have no personal experience. The raw food thing does not draw me much anyhow. There is another raw food place a short walk from my office in Doylestown, PA - it's called Doctor or Doc - Something; would have to look it up. Again, it's the raw thing that does not appeal to me. To each his or her own.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Previous

Return to The Lounge