Costa Rica Adventure Trip Review

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Costa Rica Adventure Trip Review

Postby wkriski » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 am

Wow what a trip. We arrived in Costa Rica on Saturday June 20, and within minutes of arriving and getting something to eat Mary and Dr. McDougall sat down beside us. We had a nice chat while we ate the amazing food that was prepared for us, all you can eat buffet style. They sat with us again later during the week as well. He makes an effort to sit with different people each time so you will definitely get a chance to meet the man.

It was great to meet like-minded people as well, people who had often overcome incredible challenges from rheumatoid arthritis, to multiple sclerosis, as well as heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes. Many people did not have family support so this was the first time they talked to other starchivores. We've made friends with people and already connected with them on social media now that we're back home.

The adventure trips were amazing and we got to see lots of wildlife from crocodiles, iguanas, capuchin and howler monkeys to kingfishers and two-toed sloths. Other trips included a volcano tour, zip lining and horseback riding.

Every day there were 3 buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner including fruit/desserts so we ate a lot of different things. So many amazing foods and I discovered a love for some of the Costa Rican cuisine - the beans, lentils, salsa and Gallo Pinto were highlights! Of course I had to take home some Lizano sauce and I am now hooked on that as well as cilantro!

Dr. McDougall gave a talk each night on topics such as heart disease, cancer and the gastrointestinal tract. I had a front row seat every night! He answers any questions people had as well.

Everything is extremely well organized by Heather, Mary and Carol so you're always informed as to what to do ahead of time to prepare for the trip to Costa Rica, the adventure trips and the return home so everything went off flawlessly.

If you'd like to see pictures of the food please visit my Potato Strong Facebook page (sample pic) https://www.facebook.com/PotatoStrong as well as my YouTube channel which has a couple videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTM050W4cgU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wBEaiP1SXc
wkriski

Re: Costa Rica Adventure Trip Review

Postby calvin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun. :nod:
calvin

Postby TerriNC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:58 am

I can only imagine how much fun that was! A plant-based person's heaven, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing with us!
TerriNC

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm

wkriski wrote:Dr. McDougall gave a talk each night on topics such as heart disease, cancer and the gastrointestinal tract. I had a front row seat every night!

Depressing topics. Couldn't he have thrown in a talk on Game of Thrones or something? :-P

Just kidding, of course. Sounds like a fun time! Thanks for the detailed review.
Jack Monzon

Postby patty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Enjoying your photos!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge