Is Marijuana Permitted on this Program?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is Marijuana Permitted on this Program?

Postby Jack Monzon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm going to Colorado next weekend. Is marijuana McDougall-compliant? There's no starch, but there's also no animal products.
Jack Monzon

Re: Is Marijuana Permitted on this Program?

Postby hazelrah » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Jack Monzon wrote:I'm going to Colorado next weekend. Is marijuana McDougall-compliant? There's no starch, but there's also no animal products.

Don't really know the answer but I suspect that, after the munchies hit, the calorie density is just too high.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby runonstarch » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Jack Monzon wrote:I'm going to Colorado next weekend. Is marijuana McDougall-compliant? There's no starch, but there's also no animal products.

Look into Growing Kitchen edibles. The ingredients look pretty compliant and are strain specific. Enjoy your visit and bring some cooler weather with you.
runonstarch

Postby spartahawk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:05 pm

As long as you smoke only sprouted marijuana.

Mari's Mini?
spartahawk

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 pm

You didn't notice the green M in McDougall's logo?
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 pm

healthyvegan wrote:You didn't notice the green M in McDougall's logo?

Its orientation was as an "M" not a "W."
vgpedlr

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 pm

I am going to guess that Dr. McDougall would not encourage marijuana use. Not because of weight gain or diet. I guess edible pot would have to have oil, so that is not on plan. Smoke in itself, well is smoke and I can't see him endorsing smoke.

I would also guess that if a person is at maximum health, he wouldn't consider rare marijuana use detrimental to one'side health.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby patty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 pm

The new high is awakening from the hypnotic spell we are engulfed in:) I would pass. I have to say I have seen miracles from the use of medical marijuana from the horrendous side effects of cancer drugs. The ordinary is the extraordinary, stick to the potato:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Dougalling » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 am

Medical marijuana for medicinal purposes only.
There are reasons marijuana is an illegal substance.
The internet will tell you marijuana is a safe substance, science will tell you differently.
Dougalling

Postby runonstarch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:02 am

Dougalling wrote:Medical marijuana for medicinal purposes only.
There are reasons marijuana is an illegal substance.
The internet will tell you marijuana is a safe substance, science will tell you differently.

In Colorado recreational use is legal.
runonstarch

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:14 am

JohnLarson wrote:I guess edible pot would have to have oil, so that is not on plan.
Personally not a fan of the "high", hate it in fact but all the oil is in the seeds and those trying to get high generally plant or compost the seeds. Totally agree about the smoke.

And there is from what I see all the time amongst my friends and neighbors is that along with munchies, the ability to make sound, healthy decisions may be quite impaired.

I live in Colorado, in a little town that has at times been famous for its marijuana. To me the clear, clean air and the spectacular views do the job without anything added. Well, maybe some fresh, local, in season fruit!

[Sadly, Wester Slope where I am, a lot of the stone fruit was lost due to warm winter, warm early spring causing early flowering, followed by late hard freezes knocking those same flowers off the trees.]
GeoffreyLevens

Postby hazelrah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 am

I see a lot of people are answering the question seriously. I definitely assumed it was posed tongue-in-cheek.

But if the OP was seriously considering using marijuana I'd say seriously that the health problems directly associated with its use on a recreational basis would not be as problematic as the effect it has on your ability to remain reasonable enough to follow the plan after using it. Dr McDougall has expressed the same opinion about alcohol; that the drinking, itself, is less of a problem than the lowered inhibitions that it fosters in the person imbibing it. I can't believe that someone would expect unqualified approval of using it, as so far as diet and lifestyle go, I cannot see any benefit resulting from its use. I have to go back to my original college days to try to remember if I can think of any way that it contributed to my health. I'm afraid I can't. But it is not something I particularly regret either. I think its lack of social acceptability makes it far less dangerous than alcohol. I also smoked cigarettes for 10 years, and that is the one thing that I absolutely regret having done. I would take back that habit in the blink of an eye; more than any drinking I did or the decades of morbid obesity that I maintained. I don't believe marijuana was as bad for my health as any of those questionable activities. I can't imagine anyone suggesting that tobacco is on plan even if there are people who believe it helps control weight, and in the same way I can't imagine marijuana being permitted. But, just as I indicated in my original post, I think the problem with the effect it has on a person's diet is more problematic than the cannabis directly.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
hazelrah

Postby hazelrah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 am

vgpedlr wrote:
healthyvegan wrote:You didn't notice the green M in McDougall's logo?

Its orientation was as an "M" not a "W."

Only before you use it.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:11 am

In Colorado recreational use is legal.[/quote]

Not according to the Feds.
With the higher valued dollar/exchange rate, now might be a good time to visit Amsterdam (where prostitution is also legal BTW)?
dynodan62

Postby Jack Monzon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:00 pm

It was half tongue-in-cheek. I quit drinking alcohol 11 months ago, in addition to starting this program full-throttle, and both were the best decisions I've made for my body possibly in my whole life. I've never really been a weed person at all -- I smoked a little bit in my 20s, but the paranoia and introversion just weren't for me. That's why I preferred alcohol, and became a heavy drinker. That said, I'm intrigued by what's going on in Colorado and may try it while I'm there. I definitely think alcohol is a worse drug for a host of reasons, but you're right that the ability to stay on-plan after imbibing exists with both.

Anyway, some great replies.

dynodan62 wrote:With the higher valued dollar/exchange rate, now might be a good time to visit Amsterdam (where prostitution is also legal BTW)?

New thread: Is prostitution permitted on the McDougall program? :D
Jack Monzon

Next

Return to The Lounge