Product recommendation: little elliptical trainer

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Product recommendation: little elliptical trainer

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am

I recently acquired this: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o04_s01

It is AWESOME. I originally got it b/c I'm getting a standing (up/down with a lever) desk at work and I figured I could use it when standing. The desk hasn't arrived yet, but I'm now thinking that when I stand I'll just stand (b/c the elliptical will make too much up-down movement for typing) and use it mostly while sitting. Because it's AWESOME for that!

You turn it around backwards to use it when sitting. It is heavy and solid, and the movement is fluid. You can go forwards or backwards, vary the resistance, and a little display keeps track of steps, time, and cals burned. IMO the calorie meter is off--I burn 450 in a HARD 40 min workout on the elliptical at the gym (panting, sweating), and this thing claims I burn nearly as much without breaking a sweat--not buying it! But that's a minor issue.

This would be great for anyone who, like me, has a desk job. It would also be good for people with physical disabilities, and for people who just hate exercise. Since you can also use it standing up, there are many different options.

Anyway, thought I'd let people know about it. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but I LOVE IT. And the price is pretty darn good, too!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: Product recommendation: little elliptical trainer

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 am

ETeSelle wrote: and a little display keeps track of steps, time, and cals burned. IMO the calorie meter is off--I burn 450 in a HARD 40 min workout on the elliptical at the gym (panting, sweating), and this thing claims I burn nearly as much without breaking a sweat--not buying it!

Don't believe electronic calorie counters, ever! They vary widely based on whatever proprietary algorithms they use. The only way to know is to wear a mask hooked up to a calorimeter. I used to have a computer on my road bike that measured calories burned and a heart rate monitor that did the same. It was funny to compare the two devices after training, they would be off by hundreds of calories on a long ride! None of those calculations can take into account efficiency. If I go for a ride with a newbie, they burn way more calories than I do. I can see the calories dripping off them because their pedal stroke is so inefficient. Likewise, when I ride with Dave, the opposite is true. He flies over the trail while I slog!

Counting calories from exercise is as useful as counting calories from food: very inaccurate and only helpful once in a while as a general inquiry.
vgpedlr

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 am

Here is an item we just bought for our apartment. It works great and is compatible:

http://smile.amazon.com/Marcy-NS652-Fol ... right+bike
Ltldogg

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:02 pm

As I said, I don't believe the calorie counter (or the mileage) on the mini-elliptical. I mostly go by the number of steps.

I disagree that there is not some value to the calorie counter on a regular machine, though. The one at the gym is probably fairly accurate, but really it doesn't matter--I use it to assess my progress. I know I should reach the 450 mark in 40 min--if I don't, I'm not working hard enough. I know where I should be at the halfway mark, etc. It's helpful.

Likewise, I believe that knowing how many calories are in your food is also helpful. I don't obsess about it, but I know that if I get above 1200 or so a day I'll gain weight. So I keep in the back of my mind how much I have left to eat during the day.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby scooterpie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I don't like elliptical machines (the big gym ones) because they really don't mimic any other kind of movement. You don't walk or run or bike or swim the way it makes you move. Just me. Also I subscribe to, "You get what you pay for." I'd steer sooo clear of this one. Been burned once or twice when it seems too good to be true.

But good luck with making it work for you and I hope it's not like those mini versions of stair machines--those were really hunks of junk! People I know who used them invariably injured themselves.
scooterpie

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:43 pm

scooterpie wrote:I don't like elliptical machines (the big gym ones) because they really don't mimic any other kind of movement. You don't walk or run or bike or swim the way it makes you move.

They are brilliant for injured runners because they are close enough in a neuromuscular sense while being different enough not to aggravate many injuries while maintaining fitness.

Personally, I HATE any indoor cardio machine because endurance exercise without going anywhere drives me batsh*t crazy. The most I do is a few minutes on the rower to warm up for strength training. When I have to ride my bike on the trainer I finish feeling like Charles Manson.
vgpedlr

Postby dteresa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 pm

My son in law who just had wrist surgery (after a fall from his bike), cannot ride for sixteen weeks. No pressure allowed on the wrist. Some one lent him a trainer to put his bike on and he has ridden indoors for more than 130 miles so far. The trainer was a blessing.

didi
dteresa

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 am

scooterpie wrote:I don't like elliptical machines (the big gym ones) because they really don't mimic any other kind of movement. You don't walk or run or bike or swim the way it makes you move. Just me. Also I subscribe to, "You get what you pay for." I'd steer sooo clear of this one. Been burned once or twice when it seems too good to be true.

But good luck with making it work for you and I hope it's not like those mini versions of stair machines--those were really hunks of junk! People I know who used them invariably injured themselves.

Um . . . I am posting because it's NOT a hunk of junk. It is well-made and works well. I am very picky about such things and did not expect to like it much. The movement is fluid and its heavy enough that it does NOT move. I posted about it precisely b/c it DOES work. If you can't take my word for that, that's fine.

Re: elliptical trainers-they are much easier on your knees than treadmills/running. I don't have knee problems, but plan to keep it that way. And I have no interest in exercising outdoors in TN in the summer. I ride my horse at 4:30 AM precisely b/c I can't stand the heat. I'm quite happy watching HGTV on the little TV while I do 3.5 miles on the gym's elliptical--in the A/C! And I'm just as happy to be getting a little more movement during my work day thanks to the mini-elliptical. It is not intended to replace real exercise--just stave off the inevitable results of a sedentary job.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Jenna » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think you could use it while sitting down at a desk at the same time that you were typing on a computer?

I'd love to get something inexpensive to put under my desk at work and at home that would keep me a little more active while I am working. Ideally, I'd love a treadmill desk, but I don't want to make that kind of investment at this point, and my office at work doesn't have room for it anyway.

Thanks!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

Jenna wrote:Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think you could use it while sitting down at a desk at the same time that you were typing on a computer?

That's what I do all the time! I had to move my keyboard a bit, but it worked out well.
Ideally, I'd love a treadmill desk, but I don't want to make that kind of investment at this point, and my office at work doesn't have room for it anyway.

DITTO!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby scooterpie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 am

ETeSelle, those were all my impressions. If you like ellipticals--bully for you!

I like my exercise equipment too, and a few pieces at a small fitness center near me. And I looove hot weather to walk in. Loooooooove it:-)

Have a nice day!
scooterpie

Postby docscience » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:35 am

Some of you may have seen Dr. Michael Greger on his treadmill.
Here is Michael talking, as he walks on his treadmill.
If you did not know he was using his treadmill, you would think he was awful nerves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOq1eJaZuWs
It is his ideal method of combining exercise with work.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:14 pm

UPDATE: I've been using the elliptical under my desk for a few weeks and I still love it! My new sitting/standing desk came in and when I sit I use the elliptical. When I stand I don't (too much up and down to be able to type), but I'm standing, which is so much better than sitting. I guess I stand at least 1/2 the time now and I am still able to get in 8-10K steps a day on the elliptical! I'm so happy not to be just sitting there anymore! :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby hazelrah » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 pm

I just saw this thread. I don't have much to say about the product, but work got a new set of treadmills (Life Fitness , I think).
Like vgpedlr I don't care much for indoor aerobic equipment because I'd rather be outside. But these new treadmills have video courses that are pretty attractive. When I come back from my lunch run I get on one and jog for 5 minutes in Germany or New Zealand or the Trinity Forest. It's not like being there but it's also not like being at work either. I used to do ellipticals, but I don't think I could do it while I was working.

Glad it's working out for you, though. When you get one that is tough enough to stand up to daily wear and you like it, it's a keeper.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Bells » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Estelle could you tell me if this causes much friction on your feet? I have eczema on my soles and had to stop using my treadmill due to the friction making it so much worse. I like equipment that lets me zone out while exercising - it's the only way I am consistent. This little thing looks pretty ideal for me.
“since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid”
-e.e. cummings
Bells

Next

Return to The Lounge